• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gurren Lagann - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sloober

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying it, but I'm approaching it from the direction of expecting everything to be intentionally over the top. So far it's been a pretty spot on approach. Nothing too serious. But it's making me stay up past my normal bed time (although now and then, here and there is doing a great job of that too). I will probably end up adding both of these to my collection at some point!
braves

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Back to the subject of episode 4, I didn't really think it was that bad. It was just a slight change in art style and the animation pretty much stayed the same. So I don't see what all the big fuss was about concerning that episode.

Next week is episode 6, which I'm sure some people are going to complain about Rolling Eyes , though I don't really know what happens.

Art box: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=84684
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Back to the subject of episode 4, I didn't really think it was that bad. It was just a slight change in art style and the animation pretty much stayed the same. So I don't see what all the big fuss was about concerning that episode.

Next week is episode 6, which I'm sure some people are going to complain about Rolling Eyes , though I don't really know what happens.

Art box: http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=84684

Episode 6 isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

If anyone complains bout episode 8 being bad I will kick your ass. Sorry but that had to be said.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances at work I missed these last two episodes. I went to SciFi.com but all I can get to work is the first episode. Am I doing something wrong, or is that the only episode they are going to stream?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
I just watched episodes 3 and 4 after recording them Monday night. Episode 3 was great, but jeez, what happened with 4...? The animation, the art and incorrect character designs, the story progression, it all pointed to this episode having been farmed out to a lower budget studio.

Well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad; still got one non-filler episode this week, so that's good.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances at work I missed these last two episodes. I went to SciFi.com but all I can get to work is the first episode. Am I doing something wrong, or is that the only episode they are going to stream?

It seems it's only going to be episode 1 on SciFi.com.

But you can buy the episodes on iTunes for $1.99 each.

EDIT 9/23/08:

I just learned that Osamu Kobayashi was the director of episode 4. He was also the director of BECK, which explains the huge similarities between the animation and camera shots of Gurren Lagann episode 4 and all of BECK.

So yeah, Gurren Lagann episode 4 wasn't farmed out to a low budget studio, but the change to Osamu Kobayashi as the guest director of this episode was entirely unexpected, and if you're not ready for his unique style (especially in contrast to Gurren Lagann's regular animation style), it can kind of come as a big shock.

So I'm sorry if I sounded harsh on episode 4 before. It was unwarranted (I really do like the BECK anime, after all Smile (haven't read the BECK manga, though)).

Last edited by Josh7289 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I just watched episodes 3 and 4 after recording them Monday night. Episode 3 was great, but jeez, what happened with 4...? The animation, the art and incorrect character designs, the story progression, it all pointed to this episode having been farmed out to a lower budget studio.

Well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad; still got one non-filler episode this week, so that's good.

Filler? The animation in 4 may be weird, but we got the introduction of the Black family and Simon and Kamina mastering their combination. How is it "filler?"
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
Well the whole series so far would be considered filler were this other anime besides spoiler[ kamina finding out that his father was dead] nothing too substantial happened oh except the cape kamina has his cape now.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
...so the fact that Kamina and Simon spoiler[found Lagann, met Yoko, escaped from Jeeha, met Leeron, found out about the Beastmen, fought the Beastmen, got Gurren, met Viral, fought Viral, formed Gurren-Lagann, and met the Black family] are all "insubstantial"? And here I thought it all constituted plot progression. Silly me.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...so the fact that Kamina and Simon spoiler[found Lagann, met Yoko, escaped from Jeeha, met Leeron, found out about the Beastmen, fought the Beastmen, got Gurren, met Viral, fought Viral, formed Gurren-Lagann, and met the Black family] are all "insubstantial"? And here I thought it all constituted plot progression. Silly me.
They began their trek to the Beastmen's HQ too, don't forget that piece of filler. Wink
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Well the whole series so far would be considered filler were this other anime besides spoiler[ kamina finding out that his father was dead] nothing too substantial happened oh except the cape kamina has his cape now.

Please tell me you were being sarcastic?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
What I meant was that TTGL doesn't take it's self as serious as other anime during their "serious parts" and that it wouldn't be hard to start watching at this point. Unlike other anime where you have to watch every single episode or you're lost you can miss a week of gurren lagann once or twice and still know what's going on for the most part.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
What I meant was that TTGL doesn't take it's self as serious as other anime during their "serious parts" and that it wouldn't be hard to start watching at this point. Unlike other anime where you have to watch every single episode or you're lost you can miss a week of gurren lagann once or twice and still know what's going on for the most part.

Just don't miss episode 8 Wink
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote

There's a difference between filler and information that you can fill in the gaps for if you missed a couple episodes. If you paint with broad enough a brush, you can claim just about anything is filler.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

There's a difference between filler and information that you can fill in the gaps for if you missed a couple episodes. If you paint with broad enough a brush, you can claim just about anything is filler.

What about the last 4 episodes of Wolf's Rain, that can't be considered filler no matter how you look at it. Or episode 8 of Gurren Lagann. I do agree with Zanarkand Princess though, you can miss a few episodes and watch the next and think okay, that must've happened last episode.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Ok I know episode 8 is important (and I don't plan too miss any of it Wink ) But it is one of those rare and lovely anime that don't alienate the viewers immediately it's like it was just made to be played on american tv and it's shifty rescheduling. *cough adult swim*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 24