• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Olympic Spirit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
I really didn't expect these shows when I read the title of the article, since apart from Suzuka sports don't really play an important role in any of them (ok, in Peach Girl it's the reason for Momo's situation, but apart from that ...).

But I guess, since Baseball and Basketball aren't olympic sports, many of the popular sports series like Slam Dunk or Major etc. don't fit in. However not mentioning Prince of Tennis was a surprise. Also Hikari no Densetsu and Attack No. 1 are really classics ... Attack No 1 must be largely responsible for Japanese (girls) getting interested volleyball. Very Happy

Also figure skating is part of the olympic winter games ... still would have mentioned Ginban Kaleidoscope, especially since the main character is aiming to be a japanese representative at the winter Olympics.

Is it because this is only about newer series?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I challenge you, my dear readers, to come up with a lengthy list of all the anime series you've ever seen that have included this puzzling sport.

Bamboo, how could you have forgotten Ranma 1/2 and the very scary and very crazy Kodachi Kunoh?!

slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Also Rythmic Gymnastics is featured in Beck. I forget her name but spoiler[her and Saku hook up towards the end]

Hiromi! I came in here to mention Beck Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shuchung

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Two words. Mitsuru Adachi.
RayV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
When it comes to Gymnastics with Ribbons, then only thing I can think of is DNA[squared].

A whole episode just dedicated to watching a girl do her stuff with a boy trying to NOT throw up...hehe
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
But I guess, since Baseball and Basketball aren't olympic sports, many of the popular sports series like Slam Dunk or Major etc. don't fit in.

Shocked Huh? Baseball and basketball are indeed Olympic sports. Baseball might be dropped though (which upsets me greatly since I'm a huge baseball fan - it's not listed on the 2012 Olympics in London), but not only has basketball been part of the Olympics for quite a long time, it's one of the marquee sports in the Games (along with swimming, gymnastics, and the track events).

maaya wrote:
Also figure skating is part of the olympic winter games ... still would have mentioned Ginban Kaleidoscope, especially since the main character is aiming to be a japanese representative at the winter Olympics.

She didn't mention Ginban Kaleidoscope not only because figure skating is a Winter Olympics sport, but the series doesn't have a R1 license at this time. She only reviews R1 releases on her column.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

At least ANN is one place where judo isn't getting shafted, like some Olympic-covering TV networks I know *coughNBCcough* even if the full Yawara! set wasn't available for your review.

But hopefully it will be someday before AnimEigo's license runs out... Smile
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey, enough with the "HOW COULD YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN [SHOW]" posts. This column wasn't intended to be an exacting, exhaustive list of every show that ever even mentioned an Olympic sport.
skyechan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Rhythmic gymnastics: Ranma 1/2, Kaleido Star, Negima, Tokyo Mew Mew (episode...10? somewhere thereabouts)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
elmo45

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The character of Makie Saski in Negima specializes in rhythm gymnatics.

Someone also metioned Princess 69.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
RayV wrote:
When it comes to Gymnastics with Ribbons, then only thing I can think of is DNA[squared].

A whole episode just dedicated to watching a girl do her stuff with a boy trying to NOT throw up...hehe

Someone beat me to it ... kinda embarassed I didn't think of Battle Athletes either (though I don't clearly recall either BA series including this particular sport.)

Zac wrote:
This column wasn't intended to be an exacting, exhaustive list of every show that ever even mentioned an Olympic sport.

No ... but this thread was:
Quote:
I challenge you, my dear readers, to come up with a lengthy list of all the anime series you've ever seen that have included this puzzling sport.

(emphasis mine for AceRyonik's reply to alifemde)

Last edited by bglassbrook on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks bc110. It's not like I'm complaining, I was only surprised, especially now being told that Baseball and Basketball are indeed part of the olympic games... I'm even more surprised at the choice that was made. "Olympic Spirit" really does not make me think of Peach Girl or Kanon Wink

But still a nice idea ^^
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Although I did enjoy this article, I have several questions though.

1. Although I am not fond of Kannon now, I actually did see the entire series at one point. So I have to how Kannon and sports have anything to do with each other? Yes I know Miyuki is the captain of a sports team, but if I remember correctly, there isn't ever a scene where the viewers get to see her club activities, much less the other members.

2. I am sure there is a reason for this but, why isn't Eyeshield 21 part of the list? Based off the chart, there was a couple of chapters where the foot ball team did some Track and field exercises.

3. With the exception of Suzuka and Yawara, the other series on that list aren't truly sports related. Kannon is a harem show, Peach girl is shojo, and XXXHolic is a supernatural series.

4. As for Rhythmic gymnastics, I would say the early episodes of Ranma 1/2, season one.

Well those are my questions, hopefully what I wrote is detailed enough, so everyone understands.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

*questions*

Well those are my questions, hopefully what I wrote is detailed enough, so everyone understands.

Mainly because, as Bamboo wrote, this column was about "some recently released anime series in which Olympic-sanctioned sports are featured to some degree, or play a big role in the characters' lives." She wasn't sticking to purely sports series, or shows that were released 20 years ago.

While I may not have any interest in these particular titles, I hear you loud and clear about the Olympics, Bamboo. It's the best biennial event in the world. I've been so glued to these Games since the opening ceremony (wasn't that 4x100 freestyle amazing last night?!), I wish NBC would just go ahead and offer an IV form of them, so I can get my fix directly.

(Also, dear lord, how we need a curling anime series. Who's with me?)
Kisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

1. Although I am not fond of Kannon now, I actually did see the entire series at one point. So I have to how Kannon and sports have anything to do with each other? Yes I know Miyuki is the captain of a sports team, but if I remember correctly, there isn't ever a scene where the viewers get to see her club activities, much less the other members.

3. With the exception of Suzuka and Yawara, the other series on that list aren't truly sports related. Kannon is a harem show, Peach girl is shojo, and XXXHolic is a supernatural series.

Nayuki from Kanon is the captain of the track team and is seen several times practising and participating in a track meet with the track team in episode 19. Doumeki from XXXholic is part of the Archery club(?)and Momo from Peach Girl is on the Swim team. While they may not be sport themed shows they do have characters involved in Olympic events.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4