• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Lagoon GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I can't believe releasing manga in larger sizes is now considered a bad thing. Are prettier shelves really more important than prettier contents? Rolling Eyes

For us obsessive compulsive types, yes. I have my Appleseed, Nausicaa, and Ranma 1/2 manga on a different shelf because it's differently sized than everything else and throws off the look of the thing.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to read this at some point, although I kind of want to see the anime first (depends on what I can get my hands on first Razz). Glad to see it got a good review, and for things I find appealing at that!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Her loose-cannon attitude and the wild, savage glee she takes in shooting up or beating up anyone and everything makes her convincing as an action heroine;

Maybe a tsundere action heroine doped up on meth; not really an action heroine I could buy IRL, though.

Quote:
Hiroe delivers on pleasing character designs, an almost amusing style of expressiveness in facial features, and ample detail, but the way he paces things with his paneling and carefully stages his action scenes put him as much amongst the elite manga-ka as his raw artistic skill.

Personally, I thought he's just a hack desperately trying to cash in on Hellsing [He even seems to be swiping from Hirano's proto-version of the manga.], but that's just me. Rolling Eyes

I'd probably give it a C at best, especially since I take issue with characters who seem to show no remorse over-and may even have prior experience with-child-trafficking.

Chrno:
Quote:
Viz' owns 'Shonen Jump'. 'Black Lagoon' runs in the 'Shonen Sunday DX'. Which also runs 'Berserk' and 'Shin Angyo Onshi'. Never once made the connection.

Viz is owned by Shueisha and Shogakukan, the latter of which publishes Black Lagoon, while the former publishes Jump. Berserk's published in Hakusensha's Young Animal.
bluegreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Her loose-cannon attitude and the wild, savage glee she takes in shooting up or beating up anyone and everything makes her convincing as an action heroine;

Maybe a tsundere action heroine doped up on meth; not really an action heroine I could buy IRL, though.

Quote:
Hiroe delivers on pleasing character designs, an almost amusing style of expressiveness in facial features, and ample detail, but the way he paces things with his paneling and carefully stages his action scenes put him as much amongst the elite manga-ka as his raw artistic skill.

Personally, I thought he's just a hack desperately trying to cash in on Hellsing [He even seems to be swiping from Hirano's proto-version of the manga.], but that's just me. Rolling Eyes

I'd probably give it a C at best, especially since I take issue with characters who seem to show no remorse over-and may even have prior experience with-child-trafficking.
Going by the show, Revy isnt nearly as cold as one might think. Especially if you just go by what was seen in the first volume. Personally, I find that her attitude and the way she behaves makes her a much more interesting character that most other anime/manga leads. Also, I dont really see the connection between this and hellsing. What makes you think they're similiar?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
bluegreen:
Quote:
Also, I don't really see the connection between this and hellsing. What makes you think they're similiar?

An elite squad of gun-toting mercs who deal with unsavory characters...And one of them's a loose cannon who likes heavy metal, while their leader's a no-nonsense woman.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
An elite squad of gun-toting mercs who deal with unsavory characters...And one of them's a loose cannon who likes heavy metal, while their leader's a no-nonsense woman.

Balalaika is not their leader; that's Dutch. She's not even their sole employer. And I wouldn't call any of the Hellsing troopers "mercs," either. Definitely not in the sense that the Black Lagoon crew is, anyway.

Sorry, but you're really stretching it to make this comparison, GATSU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
Of course he is, when has GATSU ever logically explained any of his opinions?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I made perfect sense. You're just reacting to my bursting of another bubble. Black Lagoon [at least in manga form] is generic and lazy. Revy
is like every other bounty hunter, except she's a chick. And her partners are just a bunch of grunts who're only good at one-liners and the occasional specialized task. But I guess people bought into it for the same reason they bought into Boob Raider. Plus, the Hellsing comparison is validated by the maid in Black Lagoon looking like the nun in the proto version of the former series near the end of the first book.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I made perfect sense. You're just reacting to my bursting of another bubble. Black Lagoon [at least in manga form] is generic and lazy. Revy
is like every other bounty hunter, except she's a chick. And her partners are just a bunch of grunts who're only good at one-liners and the occasional specialized task. But I guess people bought into it for the same reason they bought into Boob Raider. Plus, the Hellsing comparison is validated by the maid in Black Lagoon looking like the nun in the proto version of the former series near the end of the first book.

Uh, right. Sure. A maid who's actually a retired FARC assassin (FARC is a real-world organization, BTW) has anything to do whatsoever with the aforementioned nun. Rolling Eyes

No bubble-bursting going on here, GATSU. The Black Lagoon manga is not trying to be much more than the all-out action title that it is, and as manga of that genre goes it succeeds quite well. Rock's motivations for getting into the lifestyle, and his fish-out-of-water behavior, do plenty enough to separate this title from others of its ilk, and Revy stands apart from other action heroines by having one of the single crudest and nastiest dispositions you'll ever see in a woman in manga.

Frankly, I think you're the one not understanding this one at all, but to each his own, I guess. You clearly weren't satisfied with it, but I am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
Key:
Quote:
Uh, right. Sure. A maid who's actually a retired FARC assassin (FARC is a real-world organization, BTW) has anything to do whatsoever with the aforementioned nun.

I know they're real, but the nun's part of a counter-terrorist group which pulls hits, too, so...

Quote:
The Black Lagoon manga is not trying to be much more than the all-out action title that it is, and as manga of that genre goes it succeeds quite well.

If you've not seen your fair share of action films, then I can understand liking Black Lagoon, but I'm not sure why else you'd want to read it. I got more out of that new Rambo movie than this manga.

Quote:
Rock's motivations for getting into the lifestyle, and his fish-out-of-water behavior, do plenty enough to separate this title from others of its ilk,

He doesn't have any motivation. He's just doing it, because he's bored.

Quote:
and Revy stands apart from other action heroines by having one of the single crudest and nastiest dispositions you'll ever see in a woman in manga.

Yes. She curses and drinks, and no one's ever seen a woman do that before. Hooray... Rolling Eyes
joshuafer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
I read this, and enjoyed it, even though I have seen the anime. I was a little surprised to see the nazi episodes were filler, unless they occur later, which could be a possibility. I was also surprised to see revy look a little more asian in the manga then in the anime (specifically the eyese), I know in the anime she mentions she is half chinese, but she looked more so in the manga then the anime, imo. I do not have a problem with a half chinese heroine, I just thought the anime did not make her look like she was of asian origin, at all.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If you've not seen your fair share of action films, then I can understand liking Black Lagoon, but I'm not sure why else you'd want to read it. I got more out of that new Rambo movie than this manga.

GATSU, I've seen nearly every major action movie that's come out in the U.S. since Raiders of the Lost Ark, and quite a few that could, by no stretch, be called "major." Do you truly find it so bizarre that someone who has seen a lot of action films could actually thoroughly enjoy this title?

Quote:
He doesn't have any motivation. He's just doing it, because he's bored.

I'll admit the manga doesn't make this point as clear as the early episodes of the anime do (and that is, I think, the manga version's biggest weakness), but Rock most definitely has motivation. He felt like he was merely a drone trapped in a lifeless existence of drudgery in Japan but found his experiences with Black Lagoon to be very liberating. He also had little regard for his former employer, or the system which produced him as an employee, when he saw what little value his company truly placed on his life.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Key: No, I don't find you bizarre, though you might have low standards. Not Mad Bull low, mind you-more like Die Hard 4 low. Laughing

Quote:
He felt like he was merely a drone trapped in a lifeless existence of drudgery in Japan but found his experiences with Black Lagoon to be very liberating. He also had little regard for his former employer, or the system which produced him as an employee, when he saw what little value his company truly placed on his life.

So joining an organization which also places very little value on human life, by trading people, makes up for it?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Key: No, I don't find you bizarre, though you might have low standards. Not Mad Bull low, mind you-more like Die Hard 4 low. Laughing

Disagreeing is one thing, but this is now bordering on being insulting.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Key: Yeah, that was being mean. Sorry. Maybe it's the opposite situation for you. It's gotten that you've had to settle for crap like Die Hard 4, that anything looks better by comparison. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2