• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cracking the Code

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Labbes wrote:
maaya wrote:
I think Code Geass is overrated. The earlier episodes were really good, the whole first season had some silly or really stupid moments, but overall was a good watch. But the later episodes just couldn't live up to this anymore, imho. And finally I lost complete interest in the second season right now, it just got too silly for me I think.

It gets really good after episode 13 or so, and it gets really really good after episode ~17, so I would give it a second chance Smile

I'd re-read that bolded part, Labbes, lol.

Anyways, I'm fairly interested in Simoun, but doubt I'll ever get around to watching it...

Oh, it seemed I got that wrong, I know a lot of people who dropped R2 after episode 10 or so, so I must have overread that part in his/her comment. Sorry for that.
And really, really good means for R2 standards, of course, so something along the lines of a B...
Elisian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote
Ok so I'm not a fan of this show...got it. Has anyone other then me noticed the similarities between this show, and Gundam Seed? Or this show and say Deathnote? Personally I find Code Geass to be dull, and uninteresting. Every time I start to get interested it is ruined by more senseless slaughter from one side or the other. Civilian death. Followed by civilian death. How about some more civilian death? The story telling isn't even clever. One minute Lelouch is a mastermind tactician, the next a confused boy. So here we have another bi-polar megalomaniac. Because Light wasn't enough. I guess I'm just not into shows that ruthlessly kill for no reason at all. The cast is also quite dislikable. The side characters are ok, Suzaku rocks my world, but he is the only one that I actually care what happens too. Out of the whole cast that is sad. I can give Lelouch one thing though. Just when I thought there couldn't be a bigger hypocrite then Sasuke, he proved me wrong. Good job Lelouch. Sorry I just had to mini rant. This has been bothering me since I watched the dumb thing..........
Leuconoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
Has anyone other then me noticed the similarities between this show, and Gundam Seed? Or this show and say Deathnote?

The similarities are widely noted. I think 'Death Note meets SEED' is quite a common phrase applied to the show. That may not be entirely fair, but it wouldn't surprise me if I was told that Okouchi and Taniguchi consciously borrowed the striking bits from SEED and Death Note.

After all, both stories were quite popular and I'd say if there's one thing that marks Geass out for me, it's that the show wants to be popular too.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
In regards to Simoun, I'll be honest and admit the talk about the yuri aspect to the series is what originally drew me in. But once the series and various plot points got going, I kinda forgot all about the yuri and was more taken by all the drama and action throughout the series.

. . .

At times I thought to myself there was more yuri on the boxcovers than what went on in the show itself.

Agreed on both points. Although the series does have definite yuri content, most of it is ultimately incidental, more a by-product of the world structure than a concentrated attempt to show girl-girl love.

Simoun gets off to a slow start because it needs about seven episodes to fully establish its setting, substantial main cast, and core concepts, but I thought it played out marvelously well. It is more of a high-concept series than most, one which integrates in numerous issues concerning gender, religion, and the maturation process everyone must undergo, and it does it in a beautiful and elegant manner a series like Strawberry Panic could only dream of achieving. Its final volume is maybe the second-best anime volume I've seen this year, and the series as a whole will probably make my Top 5 list for the year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
Why is it all the people who actually matter to make a big difference, with the Code Geass problem, seem to have 0 problems with the discs. First it was Chris from AoD, now it's a reviewer from ANN. *sigh*
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Disc 1 of Code Geass. Disc 2 with all of its freezes and skips? Not so much. Getting real tired of ALL my defective purchases in the last couple of years being Bandai product.

Simoun on the other hand is fantastic. I was leery of getting this because I'm not such a fan of teh yuri as others seem to be, but I took a chance and am just loving it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote
@Elisian: Code Geass is a show that attempts to depict the tragedy of war and the horrors of enslavement (and later near-genocide). It aims to show how "Justice" is not an absolute concept, and that there are many paths to achieving the same goal. It delves into the big questions of the validity of evil and whether the ends justify the means, all the while observing the corrupting affects of power.

It boldly portrays a protagonist who isn't a saint, yet whose goal is to make his world a genuinely better place. It examines the actions and morals of a young man who is straddled between two cultures, working for the very enemy who invaded his homeland. It delves into the murky motives of a mysterious witch, as well as those of a hot-headed rebel whose veins run with the blood of her hated oppressors.

Anyone who thinks it is shallow, or stupid, or jumbled, or pointless, I say this to you: you're entitled to your beliefs, but by expressing them here you are not likely to find much support.

Elisian wrote:
Sorry I just had to mini rant.

I'm sorry you had to mini-rant too.

Elisian wrote:
This has been bothering me since I watched the dumb thing..........

Uh, perhaps you may be interested to know that the show hasn't finished yet.
Elisian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
Sorry I just had to mini rant.

I'm sorry you had to mini-rant too.

Elisian wrote:
This has been bothering me since I watched the dumb thing..........

Uh, perhaps you may be interested to know that the show hasn't finished yet.[/quote]

I never said I was looking for support. I was expressing my opinion. I thought that was the point of talk back forums...To express. I know the show isn't over. I heard it gets better later. I'm just not sure how much more I can take. I gather from your deffensiveness that you really like it. I'm not going to bash you because you think it is deep. I understand it is showing the violence of war, but almost every episode barring maybe the first one on disc two includes a massacre of civilians. I think that is "overkill". I'm just stating why I don't appreciate it. I am intitled to that ...correct?
se37

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
You know, I've been kind of worried about buying the DVD's of Code Geass because I've heard they cut out some scenes of Pizza Hut and of Cheese-kun that C.C. has. I know that they cut out some scenes on Adult Swim cause I did see them.

Does anybody know if the Pizza Hut logo still on the DVD's or is no scenes cut but the logo is edited out only? This would help me in knowing to still buy the DVD's but burn my fansubs onto DVD's also so I would have 2 copies of the series (one with the unedited Pizza Hut and one official)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
I know the show isn't over. I heard it gets better later. I'm just not sure how much more I can take.

Seeing as you seem to be one who is on the fence about whether or not to keep watching the show, and also not thrilled by the idea of heaps of dead innocents, I'd advise you not to bother watching any more of the series; it's only going to get worse. Massed death is, as dtm42 said, important to the show's themes (hell, it's important to all of Sunrise's shows; big war, everybody suffers, no happy endings).

@se37: I don't have the DVDs myself, but the most that Bandai would do is remove the logo, I'm sure. Unedited content is standard fare for most anime releases, and Bandai wouldn't want to change the series any more than they have to, given its popularity.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Elisian wrote:
Ok so I'm not a fan of this show...got it. Has anyone other then me noticed the similarities between this show, and Gundam Seed? Or this show and say Deathnote? Personally I find Code Geass to be dull, and uninteresting. Every time I start to get interested it is ruined by more senseless slaughter from one side or the other. Civilian death. Followed by civilian death. How about some more civilian death? The story telling isn't even clever. One minute Lelouch is a mastermind tactician, the next a confused boy. So here we have another bi-polar megalomaniac. Because Light wasn't enough. I guess I'm just not into shows that ruthlessly kill for no reason at all. The cast is also quite dislikable. The side characters are ok, Suzaku rocks my world, but he is the only one that I actually care what happens too. Out of the whole cast that is sad. I can give Lelouch one thing though. Just when I thought there couldn't be a bigger hypocrite then Sasuke, he proved me wrong. Good job Lelouch. Sorry I just had to mini rant. This has been bothering me since I watched the dumb thing..........

I have not seen Gundam Seed so I cannot comment on that but honestly the similarities with Death Note are very superficial. I keep seeing people compare Lelouch to Light but honestly they are actually very much opposite character except the whole tactician thing . Light cares about no one except his goal (even willing to sacrifice his own family for it.) Lelouch tries to close his heart but can't seem to stop caring about those close to him (even ends up caring for an enemy in the end.) Light blames everything on others, Lelouch blames everything on himself (even when it is not completely his fault). So no I guess I don't see many similarities with Death Note. Light is a definite villain. Lelouch is a much more gray character.

And this is coming from someone who is a very casual fan of Code Geass. I think the show is entertaining but definitely not very deep (it relies a little too much on plot twists for my liking).
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Did anyone catch that 100m dash? WOW.

I did, and what's scarier about that race is that Bolt could've ran faster has he not been wailing his arms in celebration at around the 80m mark.

And like most people, I also ran out of superlatives for Michael Phelps. That was a truly awesome accomplishment not just in Olympic history, but all of sports history. Congrats to him Cool .

In regards to Simoun, agreeing with some of the comments made here, I feel that the yuri elements in the series really are secondary to the character and plot development and the action/adventure that makes this series great. More or less the "Yuri Fan" tag that Media Blasters gave the series is basically a misnomer; Simoun is not really a yuri title per se.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Wow, your Code Geass DVDs actually worked completely? Anyway, I really need to get that LE when I get the money.

I wish I could use my closet to store all my manga and anime. But it's just full of clothes and other stuff no one uses.

If you can find an LE....I live in a relatively backwaters place (Roanoke), and all the stores here sold out within the first day...

Hell, I barely found mine.

By the way..."Lelouche?" Anime hyper I mean...his name's on the BOX dude. It'd be cool if you messed up once or twice, but really, every time? Not very professional, Bamboo. Laughing

Roanoke, North Carolina? Well, you can order it online like I did. Or, if you don't mind driving the distance to Best Buy in Jacksonville, you can buy it there.

I just ordered the Code Geass LE on deepdiscount.com, with free shipping and got it in 3 days. The Best Buy in Jacksonville, NC has I think 4 copies left, or at least it did on Saturday.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
Despite the fact that I'll probably never watch any of the series Bamboo reviewed, I still enjoyed the article. As for the price of Freedom, I can't say I am surprized. High definition isn't cheap to produce and the quality is much better than normal disks.

But if I was going to spend that type of money, I'd buy the uncut, unedited season one part one One Piece dvd.

Though I am excited about the fourth volume of Karin though, more than one year has passed since the bought the third volume.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
I do believe that Code Geass is often overrated, but I think a lot of the backlash against it tends to be quite gratuitous too.

It isn't a masterpiece or anything remotely like it, it's a show that does in fact try to pander to many different audiences, which is both good and bad, but I do find it very entertaining. There are some absurd incidents here and there, which may be enjoyed or hated depending on the viewer's mindset, but others are actually pretty effective or at least understandable, so I'd give the staff a little more credit.

Having said that, I consider that the first season is, on the whole, better than Code Geass R2 so far, but the second half of the sequel is definitely looking up (this might sound ironic from a certain point of view though, but it isn't meant to be).

I'd give an 8/10 to the original, and a 7/10 to the sequel so far. Depending on how the show ends, I could change that last grade.

On another note, I've always wanted to watch Simoun, but haven't found the time (or resources) yet. Still, it seems interesting enough.

Last edited by nightjuan on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5