• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cracking the Code

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
bglassbrook wrote:
So the overall sense of Strawberry Panic that I am hearing is To Heart with near-yuri-overtones?

Near-yuri overtones? Surprised

I see having changed if from undertones in the original draft was a good call.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
(hell, it's important to all of Sunrise's shows; big war, everybody suffers, no happy endings).

Clearly, you have never seen Sgt. Frog...

Sunrise made Sgt. Frog? My ignorance, then Anime smile + sweatdrop
nx6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:

Well in actuality, Britannia is only superficially America. Britannia is Britain had it won the American Revolution (along with other slight historical differences). So I think you could have a stronger argument if you had said Geass is against imperialism. Which is what Japan used to be.

I have to disagree. While Britannia is a reference to the the British empire and colonialism (especially places like India), I feel it's social commentary has more contemporary elements as well. I don't find it to be a coincidence at all that this show came out when it did. Listen to the newscaster talk about Sakuadite and how it's handled on the world market, in I think it's episode 8, it sounds just like OPEC.
SonicSP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I love Code Geass,it's my all-time favourite anime for the moment.The show has managed to capture my soul since the last scene from the first episode.To think I almost never watched it...

That being said it's not perfect,somethings in R2 for example are executed poorly.Still,Taniguchi did mention that he was very dissapointed with R2 because the timslot change made Sunrise force him change what he originally planned to do with Code Geass(There wasn't suppose to be a timeskip).As a result some sidestories like Kallen's family and Suzaku's relation to Geass had to be imitted.Still,I think R2 is doing pretty well for an "unplanned show" since some episodes like the revelations of Phase 2 and 15 were amazing.

I also think that there's TOO MANY super robots in R2(Gawain and Lancelot were enough).I think they decided to go for mass-appeal but it failed(Rating are low)though R2 is one of the top 10 most recorded shows in Japan and those don't count towards ratings.I guess they just don't have time to watch during 5pm Sunday.

Lelouch is actually an awesome character and I actually like him alot.I don't think he's a dick at all(Maybe sometimes he acts like one).At least he's still human and actually has alot kindness for an evil genius.I think that's one of his biggest weakneses but I guess that seperated him from Light I guess.

I also read that Britannia is like a symbol of Imperial Japan during World War II I think,forgot who mwntioned that though.The Euro Universe is part of the west and their not evil(Well,not that we know of,there's not much of them in the series).

I hope Bandai US goes and translate some of the Geass games into engislish anyway.How popular is Code Geass in the US anyway?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
SonicSP: This all probably belongs in the R2 thread by now, if specifics are going to be involved, since you may spoil other readers. Don't assume everyone else is up to date with the show.

I've read that too, but it's important to make a distinction between what Taniguchi actually said, what the translator is adding as a comment (there is no mention of Taniguchi himself mentioning any subplots or sidestories in particular), and what different readers interpret from that point onward.

Quote:

I also think that there's TOO MANY super robots in R2

I wouldn't call any of them "Super Robots" in the Gurren Lagann or Gao Gai Gar fashion, but I get your point.

Quote:

I hope Bandai US goes and translate some of the Geass games into engislish anyway.How popular is Code Geass in the US anyway?

I don't know about the games, but I suspect DVD sales could be a measure of its popularity.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
shadow_Hiei wrote:
If you use your brain while you're watching Simoun, you'll get pissed off at the bad writing.

I cannot, in even the remotest sense, agree with this statement. What do you see as being so bad about it?

Late, but I'm talking about episodes 7-9, mostly. That was purely rage-inducing all the way around. Everybody involved from all sides was holding the idiot ball. I just wanted to shoot the whole lot of them. It didn't help when they wouldn't let it drop and brought back up in a way that made it seem like the writers actually thought that Neviril had made a smart argument.

Then there's the reason why the glasses sister hates the other one.

The writers also failed miserably at getting me to feel sorry for Neviril and actually managed to get me to hate her and Paraietta as well instead.

I haven't watched beyond episode 13, but I have yet to be really drawn in, and there have been plenty of moments that pissed me off. Too much over-the-top poorly written extremely irritating angst, and nothing really compelling. A few of the characters are pretty likable, but just as many that the viewer is obviously supposed to like that are hate-worthy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5