• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RE: L.A. Times piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:53 pm Reply with quote
True, true....though I personally doubt things would've turned out any different had Katzenberg stuck around. I don't consider Prince of Egypt or Road to El Dorado animation classics either. Smile
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:57 pm Reply with quote
RE: "Disney should have more respect for us Americans! We can watch movies and read!"

Americans are complete freaking retards.

Myself included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Magister_L

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:22 pm Reply with quote
america thinks it's the greatest country which exists. If countries stopped import/export businesses with the US, the US is screwed
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Magister_L wrote:

america thinks it's the greatest country which exists. If countries stopped import/export businesses with the US, the US is screwed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Magister_L

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:08 pm Reply with quote
wtf????
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Magister: Nice avatar.
Case

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Magister_L wrote:

Most of the United States' foreign trade agreements are the result of its status as quite possibly the greatest economic power in thr world, not the cause.

Besides, it's highly improbable and likewise ignorant on their part. In most cases, the other country's economy would suffer much worse than ours would. (Since our good virtue gives us so many other possible trade partners.)

And besides, non-Americans like Coca Cola too. There are too many things that we provide for too many people to give up on a whim because they don't like our personality quirks.

I highly recommend that you take an Economics 101 course before you make any further senseless statements about the state of our nation.

To make this at least a little on-topic, I'll squeeze in a quick reply.
Embarassed

GATSU wrote:

Actually, the R2 Cagliostro has the Streamline dub, and the R2 Porco Rosso has the French dub. (Which Miyazaki prefers, but I have yet to hear.) Unless you refer to anime as in our American productions such as the Simpsons and the Powerpuff girls, where they're dubbed in Japanese. And while that is true, they also see some of our content(such as Star Wars and Eraserhead) with subs;and they even occasionally include English dubs in their anime(such as Blood, and one of the KOR oavs); so it's not like they can't appreciate something in its original language, because they're too "bored" to read or understand another culture. (But the fact that we accept this generality only allows Hollywood studios to further homogenize the art of the world.)

Those are neat little tidbits, but you have to concede that they are but a tiny minority. Most anime in Japan is produced and watched in the language that the vast majority of the people speak. They don't read subtitles, and they aren't missing out on anything. Why do we think we (so many of us?) assume that we are if we watch a dub?

That gets into my grand arguement about subs and elitist otakus, which I will spare you for today. In essence, I think what we veteran otaku should really be rallying for is good dubs, not subtitled versions. Subtitles are no better than dubs sometimes, but just because they are subtitled people assume that they are purer; those who know better should be watching the original language versions and not complain about the minor inconsistencies they precieve to exist in the translation.

Except for a couple of inevitable extemists, the general perception of Disney's Spirited Away dub seems quite positive. Unless you see problems in this dub itself, I see no reason to criticize Disney's treatment of this sort of thing in general. They obviously have the ability to produce good dubs when the conditions are right.

They've certainly done some films injustice, but you might as well leave it at that. You can't expect that anyone is going to do a great job every time, especially in a case like this when you're talking about a small genre as anime (in terms of film consumption in America) and a studio which has had such relatively little experience working with it. The best we can do is hope that Disney takes their work on Spirited Away and the better aspects similar productions to heart, and continue to improve the quality of their products.

I still think you should have complained to the writer instead of us, though. You can't correct other people's writing by posting it here and badgering it. Different people have different opinions, and should be entitled to express them; just as no one has blacklisted you from this site for sharing your own.

Indeed, you are entitled to come here and argue whatever points of other people's writing you want. However, it is entirely couterproductive in cases like this. If you want to "enlighten" someone to the "errors" of the text, you need to send your comments to the person who wrote it.

End rant(s).
arllyra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Slim Shinji wrote:

Hunchback would have been a great film had it not been chained to those self-imposed rules, as would have Mulan.

Ummmm.......
Just curious, have you read the book? Hunchback was a TRAGEDY. NOT a cute love story. Phoebus was just looking to get some tail, and turned his back on Esmerelda when things started looking bad.

For your benefit, I've stopped the list here. Any more and I'd give the ending away. Because you obviously don't know what that is, and should read the book very soon and correct that.

I'll admit freely I'm a purist. I believe that an expression is a work of art, and taking away any part of that piece defiles it. Would you paint a less mysterious smile on the Mona Lisa? Would you put clothes on Michaelangelo's saints? Would you drape a shawl over the Venus de Milo? Would you put some pants on David?

I suppose you could. But you would know you were compromising the artists' intent. It was depicted that way for a reason, and changing it in any way takes away from what the artist was trying to depict.

Okay, so I am being a bit melodramatic. You can't put Fushigi Yuugi up in a museum next to a Monet. That WOULD be silly. But I don't find it preposterous to think that our children or our children's children will be taking film as art classes and watching Mononoke Hime or Sen to Chihiro alongside, say, Citizen Kane.

So that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:38 pm Reply with quote
arllyra wrote:

Ummmm.......
Just curious, have you read the book? Hunchback was a TRAGEDY. NOT a cute love story. Phoebus was just looking to get some tail, and turned his back on Esmerelda when things started looking bad.

For your benefit, I've stopped the list here. Any more and I'd give the ending away. Because you obviously don't know what that is, and should read the book very soon and correct that.

I've read the book. I know exactly how it ends. But I'm not talking about the book. I'm talking about the movie. I'm NOT a purist, and my problems with the movie lie in cumbersome musical numbers and annoying, usless sidekicks....I thought they did a decent job with the story rewrite. And I'm entitled to think that and to tell other people that's what I think, just like you're entitled to think what you think and share your thoughts with us as well.

When are people gonna learn to respect other people's opinions? Why do people get angry about movies? There are so many other, better things to get upset about. Like The Terror.
Judau

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Shinji, I believe the whole point of this forum is not to argue, but to trade opinions and believe or not believe what the person is saying... true?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Judau wrote:

I agree with Shinji, I believe the whole point of this forum is not to argue, but to trade opinions and believe or not believe what the person is saying... true?

You are WRONG.

And stupid.
Judau

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to stay off topic, but seriously, I really am very interested in the point of this forum then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:18 am Reply with quote
Judau wrote:

Sorry to stay off topic, but seriously, I really am very interested in the point of this forum then.

To insult polite people such as yourself.
Judau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw that coming, oh well. I guess I will keep writing like I want to and others will do so as well. It shows personality. Wink
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Judau wrote:

Yeah, I saw that coming, oh well. I guess I will keep writing like I want to and others will do so as well. It shows personality. :wink:

This has gotten off-topic, so I'm locking it. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3