• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fist of the North Star Manga Marks 25 Years with Wedding

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
This is a disgrace.................someone has manly as kenshiro should not be falling in love and getting married Laughing He should be breaking rocks with his fists.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
While FOTNS is pretty geeky, I never thought I'd see "official soul wedding" as PR..... still, Yuria's put up with a lot over the years, so wedding=good.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote
Cool! I wish someone would pick up the FIST stuff in the US again, especially the manga... GUTSOON did a good start, but I'd like to see it all.
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:53 am Reply with quote
I think it should be "Fist of the North Star Manga Marks..." instead of "First..." in the headline.
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
Does this mean kens a spoiler[necro because isnt she liek dead and stuff]?
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
This is a disgrace.................someone has manly as kenshiro should not be falling in love and getting married Laughing He should be breaking rocks with his fists.

Of course, the entire first series is about Ken's quest to get back his woman. Why, just read the lyrics to the original theme song!

It's awesome to note that after 25 years, they're still making more Fist of the North Star anime, manga, games, and merchandise. But whenever people here read news announcements like this, they inevitably wonder why on Earth people in Japan are so interested in a series which in the US is generally considered one of the worst cartoons ever made. If you ask me, the answer is because nothing better illustrates the difference between "true" shonen and "neo-shonen" like Fist of the North Star. By "neo-shonen," I mean most any shonen series made after 1987 where specific considerations were taken to appeal to female readers as well as males.

Unlike practically every other Shonen Jump property since Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star fandom isn't being kept alive by legions of fujoshi because there's nothing deliberately put in there to hook them, no matter how many manly tears are shed while shirtless. Even Yuda and Rei are just too grotesquely muscular for them to sink their fangs into. Heck, it's so "for guys only" that even throwing in Gackt couldn't girlify it. You'd have to go way, way further than that in order to make the formula palatable to their tastes. Why, you'd have to make it Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I'm not saying there's no such thing as Hokuto no Ken yaoi. I'm just saying that it's marginalized, difficult to find, and only of interest to one or two women in their forties because there's nothing deliberately added to the series to warrant the creation of such things. In other words: the way all "slash" related things were once upon a time. This is no longer the case. Yaoi fangirls are the backbone of US anime fandom now (and pretty much all TV/sci-fi/fantasy fandom in general), such that if you don't have them rallying to your series in droves, it won't be popular.

That's one of many reasons why Fist of the North Star isn't popular among American fans. But if you are willing to see that what is referred to as "shonen" nowadays has almost no resemblance to what shonen once was, you'll realize that contemporary shonen works in keeping with the spirit of Fist of the North Star are all but nonexistent. Anything modern I can think of which "keeps the faith" is relegated to the seinen publications, for which there is no unified fanbase in the US.

That's the REAL reason why events like this take place, and why there's still new Fist of the North Star things made every year. It's because if you want that original "shonen" feel, you have to go all the way back to old stuff like Fist of the North Star to get it. Neo-shonen's been going strong for over 20 years, and so multiple generations of anime/manga fans aren't even aware that there was any drastic change in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote
Isn't this whole ceremony blurring the distinction between fiction and reality a little too much?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Isn't this whole ceremony blurring the distinction between fiction and reality a little too much?
Fiction is the only reality to the hikikomori. I wonder what fictional wedding cake taste like? Wait....spoiler[Didn't his love die by jumping off a building, as she was being used as bait?]
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
During the ceremony is Shin going to make the obligatory drunken toast where he both makes an ass of himself and Kenshiro? He seems like the type.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
All jokes aside, this is pretty amazing that a series has been going on for 25 years now though.

This is rare in a shonen series that a cast of characters are being married though.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yaoi fangirls are the backbone of US anime fandom now (and pretty much all TV/sci-fi/fantasy fandom in general), such that if you don't have them rallying to your series in droves, it won't be popular.

Stop talking out of your ass. You do NOT need yaoi fangirls to make anything popular. And they are NOT the backbone. Yaoi may be popular right now but it hasn't always been there to make a series popular. But most series that cater to the yaoi fangirl has an author who purposely adds those elements to make it ambiguous and for people to ask questions.

Last edited by geishageek on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Urd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Fiction is the only reality to the hikikomori. I wonder what fictional wedding cake taste like? Wait....spoiler[Didn't his love die by jumping off a building, as she was being used as bait?]

spoiler[No, Yuria jumps off a building but is rescued by her protectors because she is a Nanto Master. Shin didn't want Raoh to get her and thought Kenshiro was too weak to beat Raoh, that's why he said she died.

Kenshiro beats Raoh and lives a peaceful life with Yuria some years until she dies, as she was infected by the nuclear radiations.]

That is a really good news. Fist of the North Star is my favourite manga and the saddest series I've ever read.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
AWO: But what about Souten No Ken? Wink Anyway, I highly doubt the lack of shonen-ai potential is what keeps Fist down, since that would also make Baki unprofitable for FUNimation, too. Plus, yaoi fangirls in Japan =/= yaoi fangirls in the States. Otherwise, Slam Dunk and PoT would be as popular here as Death Note. I think the reason Hokuto No Ken didn't make it here is because, like Lupin and St. Seiya, everyone who had a piece of it was too stubborn to work together to sell it. [How many times did FUNimation and Tokyopop say they were going to put out special dvd collections? Cromartie would never have made it as far as it did, if ADV didn't give out that sampler dvd with the first book, so I don't see why other companies didn't follow suit. And I'm still wondering how Gutsoon completely missed the boat on contacting FOX about a cross-promotion with the Fortune Star release of the Jackie Chan City Hunter. Christ, ImaginAsian didn't even have the source material for Cat's Eye to work with, and they still did more to try to give it exposure than any other company handling the R1 release of an old-school series. ]
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU: Souten no Ken is considered a seinen title, not a shonen one. And um, isn't Baki the Grappler relatively unpopular? Aside from myself and two people I personally know, I've never seen anyone buy it, nor have I ever seen it shown at a convention. I was just at Otakon and spotted exactly zero Grappler Baki cosplayers. There was no significant amount of merchandise for it in the dealer's room. Where is all the Internet discussion on Baki taking place?

geishageek wrote:
Stop talking out of your ass. You do NOT need yaoi fangrils to make anything popular. And they are NOT the backbone.

If you would be so kind, please inform me of a current mega-popular shonen title that does NOT have a large "yaoi fangril" following.

geishageek wrote:
Yaoi may be popular right now but it hasn't always been there to make a series popular. But most series that cater to the yaoi fangirl has an author who purposely adds those elements to make it ambiguous and for people to ask questions.

Uh, that is EXACTLY what I said.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
AWO: Sorry, what I meant is the yaoi appeal for Souten. And I don't see anyone cosplaying Kodocha or Conan, either, but at least Baki's R1 tv run is finished; so that means someone's buying it. I'm guessing the reason there's no cosplay for Baki, though, is that it's hard to bulk up like most of those characters. After all, Baki the manga keeps going in Japan, but how many cosplayers do you see for it there, too? Also, if available merchandise was the basis for a show's success, then OP and Bo^7 would be as big as Naruto or even Bleach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3