• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Shifts Bleach, Geass, Moribito Timeslots

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No you wouldn't. They HAD them on a reasonable hour, and people didn't watch it. That's why they moved it.

Yes Bellos, I did watch Code Geass and was just getting into Moribito. They didn't move it from lact of Ratings. Their own shows get about the same ratings on Saturday. Only Family Guy, Bleach, Venture Bros, and Inuyasha have consistantly pulled in ratings above 300K during the Saturday night block.

The reason for pushing anime titles back to the wee hours is as of yet unknown. Until Williams Street comes clean and tells everyone why we will not know.
They may chose to use the Ratings game excuse, but none of us who follow the ratings report thread at the ASMB will ever buy into that.

The user _.Hack_Sign_John has been on the money about this for a long time. We all know that the ratings game is just that a Game!
If [as] was truthfull about the ratings game they'd let us in on their weekday rating numbers, but they don't. Why? The feeling is that its because the numbers aren't significantly different enough to merit removing anime from the weekday timeslots.
They did it anyway.

This whole situation is money driven. Williams Street doesn't get a dime from anime DVD sales, and that's where the money is right now for TV stations.

Which is why every channel from Disney to the Discovery channel offers DVDs of their programs for sale on their websites.

DVDs of Code Geass and Moribito are NOT going bring in any money for [as] and Williams Street knows this which is also why CN has been dropping anime titles.
It's the business of self promotion and self interest on the part of Williams Street; nothing more, nothing less.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
ashfire32 wrote:

I guess you haven't been to Otakon. They have come close to turning away people because they couldn't allow them in to the Baltimore Convention Center. They have had to use the Baltimore Arena because they can't get all the events into the Center.
Over 22,000 attendees and it gets bigger every year.

Anime has a die-hard *social* fanbase that follows the shows on the internet (fansubs, message boards, fan sites, etc.) and with their friends. That's different than having an active consumer fanbase. Commercial business's do not care if a lot of teens are having a good time dressing up at a convention, they care if their products are being purchased, or if ratings are drawing enough to warrant profitable advertising slots.
Wordslinger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I tried to start a new topic, but it wouldn't let me, so I'm replying here and a few other places....

Somebody said that if we boycot AS, they'll just get rid of anime and put on other stuff. Good point.

But we have to act like the adults we are and get ORGANIZED here..... we have to let AS know that taking these shows off the air is NOT ACCEPTABLE. That we, the loyal viewers, DESERVE BETTER, and that without the viewers, a tv network will not last.

SO how do we get organized?

well.... We have to conduct ourselves as the intelligent, responsible people we are. No profanity or childish jokes. That only hurts us.

so, here's a mission statement of sorts...

our goal is to get CG and moribito abck on at their original time slots. Why do we deserve this? Because we, the fans, make the network. Without us they would not be able to stay in buisness. Why would a network do something so childish, nonsensical, bizarre and outright disrespectful to it's viewers, viewers that they DEPEND ON? It makes no sense to offend your own customers.

So here's what I think. We have to keep protesting, keep complaining, but we have to do it right. I don't know if a boycott will have a good effect (bringing back moribito and CG) or the opposite (killing anime on AS altogether) but I know that if we keep voicing our opinions, we will be heard. We have to be.

DON'T RUN AWAY. Don't stop posting. Keep it up, just make sure to do it the right way. We can't let this issue go, because if it does then our anime will go with it.

So, here's an open letter of sorts to whoever's in charge:

We, the fans, are the only reason this network has enjoyed the success it has. Your succes depends upon our satisfaction. What you have done is completely disrespectful and makes no sense. You haven't apologized to the fans, or even given us the courtesy of an explanation.We don't deserve to be treated this way. Why don't we get a say in this? Even the people I've talked to about this who don't like anime think that this is just really strange. If you don't fix this, you will lose more viewers than you can afford, and your network will suffer financially as a result. Don't you have any respect for us? Don't you care? Don't you care enough about your network to do some of the most basic things to keep buisness good, such as keeping the customers happy and giving them what they want? Comedy central wouldn't get rid of south park the way you guys have gotten rid of CG and moribito. Why? Because they'd lose ratings, because they'd lose viewers, and that's exactly what will happen unless you give us, your viewers what we want.

I'll say it again, fellow anime fans, if we don't keep up with this protest, we will lose our anime. Period.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
Wordslinger wrote:

I'll say it again, fellow anime fans, if we don't keep up with this protest, we will lose our anime. Period.

Cry more newb, read a book. Anime is not a inalienable right.

Seriously, I'm always leery of people who volunteer to lead a boycott. Boycotts work- sometimes- in cases of widespread social injustice. Boycotting commercial products, however, is stupid- if the products aren't good quality, or get a bad rep somehow, or are mismanaged, people aren't going to buy them, so the person calling for a boycott is either ignorant or pre-emptively trying to take credit for what people are going to do anyway. Besides that, half the people who hate on AS are convinced there's a conspiracy at WS to get rid of the anime block entirely. That seems farfetched to me personally, but if they are then a mass viewer exodus is exactly the excuse they need. And if there ISN'T a conspiracy, then obviously the shows aren't making them enough money. In which case, all the angry letters in the world won't get them the viewers they need to keep the block afloat.

I'll say it once more, not that anyone around here ever seems to listen when someone starts talking sense: Amongst the rights a human being is usually accorded by society is NOT the right to have your chosen form of entertainment. Anime is business, not social policy. Businesses are not obliged to throw money at markets that aren't able to support their products, and they're certainly not obliged to bankrupt themselves by throwing money into a pit for the benefit of fanboys who think the universe revolves around their hobby.
Bell02

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, this sucks Major.
Hopefully Cartoon Network re-adjusts their schedule after this clear irresponsible outrage and from ratings reports back from this weekend. If it isn't painfully obvious already why the 11pm slot fails Saturday, and why the 12am slot may not fair as well to Sunday shows lack of judgment on target demographics. However dooming program to such a time as 5 am, new programs to which they are still paying for, show serious lack of judgment. Serious lack of Judgment.

I also find it humorous because to me it's a minor problem, but for them it'll show itself as much more as a major problem. So hopefully they flip flop back, rather than the even more idiotic, but likely, action of killing Adult Swim on Saturdays.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
Kabuto Tokugawa wrote:

Quote:

The new schedual is obviously just a marketing ploy to try and get anime fans to watch the comedy and try and boost ratings.

That does not make sense. If you want to scam anime fans to watch comedy, you do not put it at the later late night hours when they could just go to sleep after watching their favorite shows.

Kabuto Tokugawa wrote:

This whole situation is money driven. Williams Street doesn't get a dime from anime DVD sales, and that's where the money is right now for TV stations.

Actually, there were past reports about Williams Street getting a cut of the anime DVD sales as part of the deal. Still, the low-ish anime DVD sales cut don't compare to the revenue from their own shows' DVD sales. But it's the merchandise licensing revenue, which they control from their own shows, that's the big difference.

Anyhow, my guess is they're trying to shake up AS Saturday because the current setup is just not working. Putting the comedy before the action still didn't get it off the ghetto. So they switched them to see what happens. As Sunday AS has shown, comedies tend to hold up better at later late nights than action shows.

Unfortunately, Code Geass may be doing so bad, it even got replaced by FMA repeats. (Moribito - they obviously didn't have much hope for to start with, so that didn't surprise me as much as why they aired it in the first place - probably contractual obligations.)
kynoki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote
ill say one thing stop waching anime on tv go out in get the dvds forget AS becuse i hate to say this im a big anime fan but the fact is animes dieing just like music one big reson is people rather wach anime on u tube or downlow it off some site rather then buy it so go out pay for it keep it alive
kynoki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Wordslinger wrote:

Cry more newb, read a book. Anime is not a inalienable right.

Seriously, I'm always leery of people who volunteer to lead a boycott. Boycotts work- sometimes- in cases of widespread social injustice. Boycotting commercial products, however, is stupid- if the products aren't good quality, or get a bad rep somehow, or are mismanaged, people aren't going to buy them, so the person calling for a boycott is either ignorant or pre-emptively trying to take credit for what people are going to do anyway. Besides that, half the people who hate on AS are convinced there's a conspiracy at WS to get rid of the anime block entirely. That seems farfetched to me personally, but if they are then a mass viewer exodus is exactly the excuse they need. And if there ISN'T a conspiracy, then obviously the shows aren't making them enough money. In which case, all the angry letters in the world won't get them the viewers they need to keep the block afloat.

I'll say it once more, not that anyone around here ever seems to listen when someone starts talking sense: Amongst the rights a human being is usually accorded by society is NOT the right to have your chosen form of entertainment. Anime is business, not social policy. Businesses are not obliged to throw money at markets that aren't able to support their products, and they're certainly not obliged to bankrupt themselves by throwing money into a pit for the benefit of fanboys who think the universe revolves around their hobby.
try saying that crap to star wars fans man u seem like u dont like anime am i right
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Previous winner:
Metalocalypse - 240,000

Highest Rated Adult Swim
Programs Saturday 9/6/08
[Viewers 18-34]

Bleach 258,000

Venture [11:30pm] 213,000

Venture [2:30am] 205,000

There are the ratings numbers for last week. Premieres of Code Geass and Moribito couldn't even beat the repeat showings of Venture Bros. People are tuning in to watch to Bleach and Venture then tuning out on Shin Chan, Code Geass and Moribito. Then they're coming back to watch the repeat showing of Venture. It's obvious these shows aren't getting the ratings that [as] wants.
Why would [as] take off shows with higher ratings and replace them with shows with lower ratings. Doing that would decrease their ad revenues. I know that some of the executives at [as] don't hate anime because I've read interviews where they've said that they like anime but are disappointed that the shows weren't doing better in the ratings.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:10 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Previous winner:
Metalocalypse - 240,000

Highest Rated Adult Swim
Programs Saturday 9/6/08
[Viewers 18-34]

Bleach 258,000

Venture [11:30pm] 213,000

Venture [2:30am] 205,000

There are the ratings numbers for last week. Premieres of Code Geass and Moribito couldn't even beat the repeat showings of Venture Bros. People are tuning in to watch to Bleach and Venture then tuning out on Shin Chan, Code Geass and Moribito. Then they're coming back to watch the repeat showing of Venture. It's obvious these shows aren't getting the ratings that [as] wants.
Why would [as] take off shows with higher ratings and replace them with shows with lower ratings. Doing that would decrease their ad revenues. I know that some of the executives at [as] don't hate anime because I've read interviews where they've said that they like anime but are disappointed that the shows weren't doing better in the ratings.
it would help a Lot if they would just advertise the animes instead of throwing them into the mix and just hoping for the best, if they truely do like anime why the hell aren't they advertising it and stating when it's showing
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm just not convinced that this is all about ratings. Obviously the comedy shows tend to get higher ratings but the differences between them really doesn't seem to be that great and its the comedy shows for which we are constantly being force-fed advertising. Over time there seems to be a pretty good correlation between the level of advertising for a show and the ratings it gets (for both the anime and comedy series). That makes perfect sense to me. This, along with the fact that most of the "advertising" they do appears not to be space paid for by companies selling their own products but just [AS] promoting their own shows leads me to believe that ratings are really on the back burner for them as an issue.

It makes a lot of sense to me that if [AS] doesn't have to pay any licensing fees to air their in-house shows and they have to shell out cash not only to air shows like Code Geass and Moribito but ALSO to advertise for them just to give them a chance of consistently beating the ratings of the comedy shows then [AS] is going to pidgeon-hole the anime. Not only that but [AS] then gets to pick up all the cash from the DVD sales for their own shows.

That being said [AS] has consistently shown contempt and derision for the anime they run and the fans who enjoy it. If you're watching one of their comedy shows and they screw with the schedule you can pop back in whenever the show is available again to watch an episode and still "get it." By and large I don't think anime is the same kind of animal. If they mess with the anime schedule and I miss a new episode I will NOT tune back in the following week to pick it up again and I doubt I'm the only one who's affected by that. Understanding the story in an anime series is usually VERY dependent upon continuity and so I think changing the schedule the way [AS] does places anime at a natural disadvantage.

All in all I think it's pretty clear that for both financial and personal reasons [AS] really does want the anime to fail.

What's really interesting to me here (assuming the picture I've painted of what's going on is pretty accurate) is that while anime distributors are attempting to adapt the growth of their industry to the advertiser-centric model that's so predominant in the US the people at [AS] are adapting their business to the more DVD-centric model that has worked for anime companies in the past.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Looking back, I think the worst thing to happen for anime on [adult swim] was when they were re-classified as their own separate network for ratings purposes. Initially it made them the #1 network for the coveted 18 - 34 demographic once the switch was made. But bad programming choices along with the fact that their major ratings grabbers even on the comedy side are shows that they don't own. Those being Futurama (until they lost it to Comedy Central), Family Guy, and American Dad. It really gives me some doubt about this being purely over the ratings. The ratings play their part, but this definitely isn't the only reason. At least in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why would [as] take off shows with higher ratings and replace them with shows with lower ratings.

That's a fine question, and one that is amusing me a lot, because there is a good chance that is exactly what they are doing.

What you've been posting is NOT a pattern, but an anomaly. Until a few weeks ago, the anime at the ass-end of the Saturday schedule was consistently beating the comedy shows getting front loaded into the good times.

But what AS is now looking for viewers to do is to watch Bleach and FMA, and then continue watching the exact same episodes of the exact same shows that were on the previous Sunday, just 6 days and 1/2 hour later.

Who wants to see that? Even anime fans who LIKE the AS comedy lineup will have already seen them six days earlier. Those that don't like them (or are pissed) aren't likely to stick around to give them a fair shake. Anyone else who has been watching on Sunday night is going to be doing the same thing they do every Saturday night - something else.

I'd bet that the 9/13 airing of the 9/7 episode of Robot Chicken won't come in too far from 160K viewers. But what will happen after Robot Chicken will make the difference, and I'll be shocked if this schedule makes it past the BK "Have It Your Way" night.

Personally I'm sort of glad this has finally happened. Either Adult Swim will finally learn that there is no comparison between the Saturday and Sunday night audiences, or anime fans will finally learn that anime can't compete with the Swim's awesome comedy. Either way, somebody should end up no longer whining.
ashfire32

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Had this thought today. Has CN/AS ever campaign their network at a event like a comicbook or anime convention to get people to watch?
You have the new anime networks campaigning at cons to get the people to contact their cable companies to get their network on their schedule.
Now maybe years ago CN did the same thing but now they just say we are here and here is what we offer to you to watch so LIKE IT OR DO WITHOUT!
If CN/AS were out there saying to the crowd , here is what we have plan to show and when. What if they were to ask whats out there we could get to draw you to watch?
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Wordslinger wrote:
Somebody said that if we boycot AS, they'll just get rid of anime and put on other stuff. Good point.

uhh... nobody watched it anyway, so isn't a boycott kind of stupid?

some guy who claims to work for Cartoon Network has been posting surprisingly accurate information on 4chan the last couple weeks. here's what supposedly happened:

Quote:
1st of all I want to apologize to all of you about the change and to let you know this took a lot of us who work for AS by surprise as well last Wednesday. After discussing it we came to find out that this schedule change came directly from the president of CN himself.

It boils down to a combination of low ratings and complaints. 1st off the president told us that CN had been receiving complaints from parents and AS fans for a while about Shin-chan and Code Geass. Shin-chan because of all its foul language and sexual harassments coming from a Kindergartner, and Code Geass for its occasional full frontal nudity (even though we do censor it). Because of these reasons, parents were preventing their children from watching them and fans were turning the channel; causing them both to lose ratings. Shin-chan took the hardest hit. After the 1st couple of weeks after it premiered the ratings for it just kept dropping until it was barely getting over 100,000 viewers.

The decision finally came last Wednesday to cut Shin-chan, Code Geass, and Guardian of the Spirit from AS and replace them with other shows. Since no one here at AS liked Shin-chan all that much it was immediately cut and replaced with FMA. But we did manage to save Code Geass and GotS for a little while but both were shoved to the “Death” time slot of 5:00 and 5:30 am. CN has cut their agreement with Bandai to show Code Geass R1 and R2. They will show the rest of Code Geass R1 at least before it gets cut. Same with GotS.

I know it’s a sad day for you all and us because we really did like Code Geass. Again I apologize to everyone here on behalf of the AS employees who wanted to keep Code Geass going.

like i said take it with a grain of salt, but so far he's been pretty credible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 19