• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clever/Intelligent Character Tournament: Pairings/Guide.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I want to get a head start on writing the Guide for Group B. The individuals I need write-ups for are:

Dr. Tenma, Monster
Kyoya Ohtori, Ouran High School Host Club
Count Kinkel, Moon Phase
Xellos, Slayers
Douglas Rosenberg, El Cazador De La Bruja
Eriol Hiiragizawa, CardCaptor Sakura
Satsuki Yatoji, X TV
Stein, Franken, Soul Eater
Yoshito Kikuchi, GTO
Hiroma Yoichi, Eyeshield 21
Maiza Avaro, Baccano!
Justy Ueki Tylor, Irresponsible Captain Tylor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I can do Kinkel. Not right now, because I really need to get my O. Chem lab done for class tomorrow, but by tomorrow afternoon I should have it. I can probably handle Maiza and Douglas as well, although if I do Douglas, it'll be quite short.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I volunteer to write Kyoya's and Tylor's, I guess. They're the only two on the list that I know AND I think are worthy to be called brilliant.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I really don't like Xellos in this tournament, and plan on adamantly campaigning against him, but you can't debate well without knowing both sides to an argument, so here' goes...

Type: Master Manipulator?
Xellos is spoiler[an extremely high level monster] who manages to keep his identity hidden from Lina Inverse for the majority of Slayers NEXT. He carries out his orders from on high, manipulating Lina and Co. into doing his bidding. In NEXT and TRY, he uses them as oblivious bait on more than one occasion. He also is quite street smart, always knowing just how people (or dragons) will react to whatever he might say or do, and uses those street smarts to get what he wants or needs.

Pictures if you need them:
Normal Xellos
Fun Xellos
Badass Xellos

Yoshito Kikuchi
Type: Genius, Blackmail Artist
He is very book smart, he manages to score nearly 100% on the national aptitude test that they take in the series, purposefully getting one wrong so that Onizuka would have the highest score. He has a long history of using computers to manipulate photographs to blackmail or discredit his teachers. (Apparently GTO takes place before Photoshop...) He also is an excellent 'counter intelligence officer' (?) once he sides with Onizuka, able to smell out other student's plots against him, and thwart them before they come to fruition. Additionally he plans several missions to save Onizuka from various problems.

Last edited by DerekTheRed on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
O. Chem went quicker than I expected.

Count Kinkel, Moon Phase
Type: Manipulator
Support: Count Kinkel is a master of deception; deftly luring his enemies into traps by fooling them into thinking he has been defeated. Using his ability to bend light, he also disguises himself as an ally to extract information or sow confusion. He's often planned far enough ahead to reverse the outcome of traps set for him, and is only thwarted when he does not have certain crucial pieces of information that for which he could not possibly have accounted (details his master specifically withheld).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Kyoya Ootori, Ouran High School Host Club

Type: Manipulator

Support: Kyoya has had an uphill climb to conquer the business world through shrewd dealing, as he is the youngest of four sons and not granted any nepotistic favors. He has memorized every financial and relational asset of his father's clients, and milks the host club's customers for all their worth. He's the only thing keeping Tamaki's flamboyant tastes in entertainment afloat, and he's not beyond tricking the hosts themselves into lining the coffers, either, no matter the means he must take.

Justy Ueki Tylor, Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Type: Prodigy/Tactician

Support: Tylor's talent for escaping scrapes is not unlike that of Golden Boy's Kintarou Oe. Nobody can quite tell if he's brilliant or just crazy. Having only enjoyed the military for the fame and hefty pension, his best skills up front prove to be a slick tongue and pasty charm, convincing those in power that he knows far more than he actually does about the military and will make them famous. However, his cognitive abilities are outstanding, as throughout his career he turns hopeless situations into celebrated victories by clear-headedly making his own luck and throwing protocol out the window, usually sweet-talking his way to success and leaving opposition flustered.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Excellent! Half of my "need" list is already done. The following individuals remain:

Dr. Tenma, Monster
Douglas Rosenberg, El Cazador De La Bruja
Eriol Hiiragizawa, CardCaptor Sakura
Stein, Franken, Soul Eater
Hiroma Yoichi, Eyeshield 21
Maiza Avaro, Baccano!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Tenma of Monster
Type: Brilliant neurosurgeon
Support: When Tenma chooses to leave his career as a brain surgeon behind, he proves that his cleverness doesn't only lie in his medical knowledge. Using his wits he travels as a fugitive while being tracked by the C.I.A. as well as the German secret police, all the while unraveling a seemingly impossible mystery. To solve this mystery Tenma must not only piece together the shattered fragments of a complicated past, he must psychologically learn to understand the one he hunts.

Dr. Frank N. Stein of Soul Eater
Type: Scientist/Tactician/genius
Support: As the strongest meister (fighter) to ever graduate from the Shibusen school for defense, what makes Stein so deadly is his ability to invent and create new ways to use his soul wavelength, as well as quickly understanding and manipulating his opponents. He also has a remarkable accuracy when reading souls. He is a pioneer in exploring the manipulation of soul wavelengths.

Maiza of Baccano!
Type: alchemist/scholar
Support: Maiza is one of the few with knowledge of immortality and must guard it from all its seekers by predicting the moves of those he knows are after it, keeping himself inconspicuous, and choosing who he can trust and who he cannot. He is the first and only of the immortals to discover how to summon a demon. Playing a dangerous game, Maiza succeeds much of the time in his difficult task.

also, might someone direct me to an episode of Moonphase where Count Kinkel appears, and also an episode of X TV where Satsuki appears? I'm collecting photos for the tournament, and for these two I've been going by episode guides to find pictures and it ain't been fun...

^^thanks DA, and I also put him as a scholar because he's the bookworm type and had all that knowledge to do the alchemy to summon a demon.

now I just need Satsuki.

Last edited by rainbowcourage on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:

Maiza of Baccano!
Type: guardian of a perilous secret (?)
Support: Maiza is one of the few with knowledge of spoiler[immortality] and must guard it from all its seekers by predicting the moves of those he knows are after it, keeping himself inconspicuous, and choosing who he can trust and who he cannot. Playing a dangerous game, Maiza succeeds much of the time in his difficult task.

You left out the part about him being the one who discovered the method to summon the "demon". For type, maybe scientist (as they were alchemists originally). I don't think you need the spoiler, either, since it's in the series description.

Quote:
also, might someone direct me to an episode of Moonphase where Count Kinkel appears, and also an episode of X TV where Satsuki appears? I'm collecting photos for the tournament, and for these two I've been going by episode guides to find pictures and it ain't been fun...

For Kinkel, episodes 8 to 13. I think you'd have the best luck finding a decent picture in 9, 12, or 13.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
A thought just struck my mind regarding the scoring for the tourney brackets. In the event of a tie for a match, would no points be rewarded to people if both participants advanced at the same time?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
A thought just struck my mind regarding the scoring for the tourney brackets. In the event of a tie for a match, would no points be rewarded to people if both participants advanced at the same time?

No, then both people would get the points. It's like a bye.

Also, Key: You might want to continue soliciting another write up on Xellos to maintain parity, seeing as I was the only one to vote against him in prelims, and I submitted his current entry. (But I think you should still use my "Fun Xellos" picture Wink )
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Points will be awarded to people who correctly chose the character who advances to the next match. This is because in rounds after the first, it is possible to have a match result in a draw, but it is still possible for a participant to have guessed that neither of the characters who tied as the one advancing.

Oh yeah, I said I'd do a write-up on Rosenberg.

Douglas Rosenberg, El Cazador de la Bruja
Type: Manipulator, Scientist
Support: Rosenberg has spent many years researching witches and their power. In order to ensure Ellis and Nadie are acting in accordance with his plan, he brainwashes and controls the mentally unstable LA to watch them. Rosenberg also is able to single-handedly evade and thwart the machinations of the conspiratorial council of witches attempting to kill him.

It's not very impressive argument, but Cazador wasn't a terribly memorable series. At least, outside of LA being a crazy stalker.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Apparently I misposted on my last post.

As we go into the final couple of hours before Round B goes up, I find myself lacking both a Guide write-up and a pic for Satsuki Yatouji from X TV. If I don't have one by 10:30 forum time then the Guide and 2nd round posting will go up without them.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Satsuki Yatouji (X TV)
Type: Prodigy/ Hacker
Support: From a young age, Satsuki displayed an uncanny ability to hack any computer system via her interaction with computers. With this bond, Satsuki has access to various amounts of information that she can access at will increasing her own knowledge at a rabid rate. Because of learning so much, Satsuki is an extreme rationist who sees her point of view to be superior to the mindset of others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I think we are good to go. I did my best; feel free to edit the entries for grammar, fairness, accuracy, length; that sort of thing.

By the way, Tessa has three pictures, because I didn't know which one would be best suited. The serious picture would be better for the tournament structure, but it might not suit her personality quite right.

Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass franchise
Type: Manipulator, Mastermind, Rebel Leader
Picture: Mellow.
Support: Lelouch is a seed for good reason. An all-rounder, he is exceptionally intelligent, cunning and insightful. He has a penchant for reading people and situations, allowing him to manipulate his way to power. He can either charm people with his charisma, or goad enemies into making mistakes. Nearly undefeatable at chess, he commands his forces as if they were chess pieces, and places great emphasis on strategy. In the second season, he is shown to be a (minor spoiler) spoiler[crack computer programmer to boot.] His most potent tool is not his Geass, but rather his own incredible mind.

Kisuke Urahara, Bleach
Type: Manipulator, Inventor
Picture: Shady.
Support: This man puts on an act of being a harmless, slightly goofy shopkeeper. In reality, he secretly and expertly guides events along his desired path. A great judge of talent, he is responsible for picking people of hidden ability and training them. Then, he sets them up to unknowingly do his bidding. Wacky but wise, he knows how to push people's buttons, goading them or inspiring them at will. A man of many secrets, he was once a genius inventor who created items of fantastical power, and is extremely knowledgeable about the Bleach universe.

Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Type: Scientist/Inventor
Picture: Schadenfreude.
Support: This mad scientist has exceptional skills and intelligence which are only enhanced by a ruthless streak a mile wide. His strategy is to weaken opponents and catch them off guard before engaging them, smart for someone who is physically unimposing. When pressed in battle, he reveals a seemingly endless bag of tricks, some of which cannot be countered. He also creates powerful items for the Soul Society, and is especially proficient at enhancing people as well, himself included. There is no denying that his genius makes him a fearsome opponent in battle and a scientist who is second to none.

Lupin, Lupin 3rd franchise
Type: Master Thief
Picture: Serene.
Support: Lupin defines the intelligent thief. He possesses a huge range of practical skills, and the cunning to outwit the tireless Zenigata. Lupin's skills cover the full spectrum of those valued by a thief, including the ability to tell counterfeit money apart from the real thing, break into any stronghold, crack any safe, and invent his own gadgets for use in the field. His cunning is invaluable to planning intricate heists, staying out of jail, and in many cases staying alive. He has defeated opponents who were better resourced or supposedly far smarter, highlighting his resourcefulness in the face of adversity.

Griffith, Berserk
Type: Military Commander, Inspirational Leader
Picture: Intense.
Support: Griffith is a genius tactical commander, allowing the Band of the Hawk to defeat enemy forces far stronger than them, and be instrumental in winning a war. He is the proud owner of an extensive library in an age where most of the populace are illiterate. Not only is he an amazing tactician, he is also considered the Band of the Hawk's talisman, such is his standing among them. He is the sort of leader whose soldiers would willingly follow him to hell and back, which highlights the faith they have in his abilities, as well as his charisma.

Schneizel El Britannia, Code Geass franchise
Type: Mastermind, Manipulator, Military Commander
Picture: Peeved.
Support: The only person to ever have defeated Lelouch at chess, Schneizel is a powerful adversary. Possessing a hidden agenda known only to himself, he manipulates his subordinates and the leaders of enemy factions with contemptuous ease. A wolf in sheep's clothing, he puts on a facade to lull people into a false sense of security, then ruthlessly backstabs them when the opportunity presents itself. From time to time he is on the front lines, using his immense intelligence to crush Britannia's enemies, and is also adept at reading which way the political wind is blowing in the bloody Britannian court.

Teresa Testarossa, Full Metal Panic franchise
Type: Military Commander, Technological Wizard
Picture: Cute, serious and surprised.
Support: At the tender age of just six, she was already solving complex mathematical equations. At the age of sixteen, she has many more accomplishments under her belt. They include being the captain of an advanced submarine of her own design, and playing a part in creating the artificial intelligence Dana. Her battle plans make full use of the hi-tech but limited forces at her disposal, and she is known to keep a level head in battle. She cares about the people under her command, and is at her supreme best when getting them out of seemingly hopeless situations.

Kazukiyo Gowa, Gasaraki
Type: Political Schemer, Business Tycoon
Picture: Smug.
Support: Eldest son of the head of the powerful Gowa clan, Kazukiyo is cunning, ruthless and very ambitious. He is the man that transformed Gowa Industries into a leading military-arms conglomerate, and his business skills are top-rate. He excels at politics of all kinds, including family factional politics, and is adept at making powerful connections in that sphere. Late in the series, he employs both his business and political skills to play a shadowy game of economic manipulation with the United States for domestic political gain.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 28