• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Innocence Ghost in the Shell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eva05

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

...you realize that in order to turn a profit, the film needs to break some $40 million dollars, yes?

Whoa, how do you figure this?!

The largest budget ever allocated to the production of an anime film was $10 million US for Mononoke Hime.

Innocence didn't break this mark as far I know. I'm sure it would've been heralded as these big budget thing, etc. if it had.

Zac wrote:

I absolutely loved the original Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh, and Beautiful Dreamer; I did find Oshii's heavy-handed philosophizin' to be tiresome at points but these were thought-provoking, well-crafted films.

What about Tenchi no Tamago. Arguably Oshii's best film ^_-

I find your take on Innocence interesting considering you enjoyed Jin Roh. I've always disliked that film as I felt it was insulting in that it expected the viewer was a moron pushing it's metaphor again and again and again until all the subtlety was left in a smoking heap of ruin. Jin Roh is one of the only anime I've ever seen that actually pissed me off ebcuase I felt like the message of the film was...you're too stupid to figure out our deeper message so we're gonna spell it out for you...over and over again.

In Inocence I felt like he got away from that a bit. Ultimately even GITS is a little heavy handed with it's theme, some of the monlogues feel forced(Motoko's little speech to Batou on the boat is really not adding anything I didn't get from the montage sequence as she takes the ferry through Hong Kong) but it still works.

There were similar moments for me in Innocence, but I still really enjoyed it. I also found everyone I saw the movie with a few different friends. For most of them it was the second or third showing. The movie is very dark and definitely a bit esoteric...but everyone's got their opinion Anime smile

j
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:55 pm Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
Zac wrote:
...you realize that in order to turn a profit, the film needs to break some $40 million dollars, yes?

Whoa, how do you figure this?!

http://www.asahi.com/english/arts/TKY200402270163.html

"`Innocence'' was created at about 2 billion yen by the animation studio Production I.G. in Kokubunji, Tokyo. The film is the second version of Oshii's 1995 anime ``Ghost in the Shell,'' which became a No. 1 best-seller video in the United States."

2 billion yen = about $18 million USD.. and that's only the production costs. I can find other sources (Japanese, primarily) that say the same thing.

Adverts (commercials, magazine spreads, etc) are not included in the base production cost, and were certainly several million USD more. Even if the advertising budget is "only" $10 million, that means Innocence needs to make $28 million to break even..

.. and that's considering only production and ads; other factors exist which can drive up the total cost of the film even higher.

So, for me anyway, $35-40 million sounds about right, for this film.

Quote:
I'm sure it would've been heralded as these big budget thing, etc. if it had.

It was, which is why Zac was arguing for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryosei

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ryosei, the numbers you're using are open to interpretation. It's been characterized to me on several levels by several people as a failure in Japan. It isn't going to make it in to the black there. It slid instantly out of the top 5 after debuting at the bottom. The critical reaction to the film (according to the people I spoke with, who I unfortunately can't reveal due to several factors) in Japan was mostly negative.

You see, this is wherein my disappointment with ANN now lies, as despite its pedigree among online anime news sites, it is still hopelessly juvenile, led by individuals who are more concerned with their input of the facts, rather than the facts themselves.

How, in any way, considering both the past performance of adult-targeted anime in theaters, and I.G's own projections, can you consider Innocence's tally so far a failure? Simply because a film doesn't recoup its costs in a single region, you deem that unworthy? Do you realize how many successful films out of the US have not posted in the black, but went on to outrageous revenue worldwide?

The Last Samurai is a wonderful example, a film that made less than $100 million of its production and advertisement costs in the US (which, despite Cookie's claims, are the only costs involved in a film), yet went on to enter the Top 50 of all time highest grossing films worldwide, with a final profit of nearly $200 million.

Considering Innocence's production budget stands at ~$18 million US, and it's advertisement costs are likely $5-7 million (not the $10+ you seem to believe; no investor in the world would sign off on that much advertising for an anime film in Japan), it has now made close to half of it's entire budget costs in Japan alone, and that is only counting the theatrical release, not the future DVD sales or merchandise sales (for instance, the OST of Innocence placed in the Top 100 of items ordered on Amazon Japan in early March).

Frankly, any other hopes for the picture revenue-wise at the Japanese BO would be unrealistic and greedy. I was expecting the film to do about $5 million total, a number it has dwarfed so far (and yes my numbers are open to interpretation, but they are based on proven formulas used by Box Office Mojo, and are likely quite close to the actual tally).

$35-40 million to merely post a profit is an outrageous claim, and a very uninformed one at that. To be more realistic, Innocence will be in the black come the $25 million mark. Keep in mind as well, nowhere have we included the ~$5-8 million Go Fish and Dreamworks invested for the licensing rights to the US, nor the similar (albeit lower) investments from United Pictures International for the European rights. With those included, Innocence could very well be posting in the black much sooner than we think.

And I find it curious who these 'sources' are that have been claiming Innocence's poor critical reaction? Why can they not be revealed? In terms of 'sources' that can be revealed, such as The Japan Times, Japan Today, Japan Update, Kyodo News, Mainichi Shinbum, etc., each and every single one of them has given the film either 3 out of 4, or 4 out of 5 stars, at least (some higher). Feel free to search out their websites and peruse for yourself.

This negative critical reaction is where?

As for the review, we really needn't continue further discussing such, considering to do so we must get more detailed and specific, of which I am ill prepared to do having not yet seen the film. However, to gauge your knowledge and understanding of Oshii's philosophy, for my personal sake, I was hoping you could simply elaborate (as spoiler free as possible) on one aspect of your response:

Quote:
This film seems to really want you to think it's incredibly deep but the concepts he's talking about just aren't that complicated.

Please elaborate, as in order to facilitate my argument, I'd like to hear your understanding and interpretation of said concepts that Oshii tackles (which can be applied to both GITS and Innocence). Thank you.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:52 am Reply with quote
Ryosei wrote:

$35-40 million to merely post a profit is an outrageous claim, and a very uninformed one at that. To be more realistic, Innocence will be in the black come the $25 million mark.

Any standard text on modern film business will tell you that one of the truisms of moviemaking economics is: a film has to make three times its costs to be considered in the black.

Hey, why do I show up as the author of this thread when Gatsu started it?

Last edited by Aaron White on Fri May 28, 2004 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:56 am Reply with quote
Ryosei, I can't keep arguing this with you. You seem to have your own ideas of what it costs to make a film. I was told in the many, many, many, many, many classes I took on film production that if a film costs 2 million to make, it needs to make 6 to break even. Advertising and production are not the only costs associated with a film. Nine times out of ten there are investors who are paid back with interest out of box office revenue who helped to fund the film in the first place. Usually these investors are guaranteed a certain return on their investment. This means that the film has to make back its proiduction cost plus a solid 50 percent or so on top to appease the investors; THAT'S when the studio breaks even and starts making a profit. The Japanese film industry is starting to slowly mirror the US industry and since Ghost in the Shell was partially financed by US investors, I'd say you're looking at a similar situation.

You say "there's no way advertising cost more than X" but you have no clue what you're talking about; you yourself admit that everything you say is speculation. You are so doggedly trying to prevent anyone from saying anything negative about this film, you're presenting your speculation and interpretation of the facts as irrefutable truth, which is maddening.

Deal with it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ryosei, I can't keep arguing this with you. You seem to have your own ideas of what it costs to make a film. I was told in the many, many, many, many, many classes I took on film production that if a film costs 2 million to make, it needs to make 6 to break even. Advertising and production are not the only costs associated with a film. Nine times out of ten there are investors who are paid back with interest out of box office revenue who helped to fund the film in the first place. Usually these investors are guaranteed a certain return on their investment. This means that the film has to make back its proiduction cost plus a solid 50 percent or so on top to appease the investors; THAT'S when the studio breaks even and starts making a profit. The Japanese film industry is starting to slowly mirror the US industry and since Ghost in the Shell was partially financed by US investors, I'd say you're looking at a similar situation.

You neglected to mention that the theaters themselves take their cut. And even the theaters that are run by the distributors have expenses.

I have no idea what the percentage is in Japan, but right off the top, a certain percentage of ticket sales goes to the theater.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Ryosei wrote:
You see, this is wherein my disappointment with ANN now lies, as despite its pedigree among online anime news sites, it is still hopelessly juvenile, led by individuals who are more concerned with their input of the facts, rather than the facts themselves.

The individual that "leads" ANN never made any input into this thread up until now, but thanks for insulting me nonetheless.

What's more, the individual you are arguing with is no longer ANN staff, but rather a welcome guest.

We have never posted a review that has been universally well-received. Fact is, you are one of the individuals that does not like this review, and I suspect that you may not like any more of Gab's reviews.

Your comments are noted, and in some case constructive. I've passed on what I found constructive to Gab, and I will keep them in mind next time I edit his review, but don't expect to see the review tailored to your desires. As you said

Quote:
it was refreshing to come to ANN every now and then and read honest, critical opinions.

We will continue to post honest, critical opinions that are not censored for anyone's benefit, not yours, not our good friends at Production IG, and not the North American licensors.

-t
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The largest budget ever allocated to the production of an anime film was $10 million US for Mononoke Hime.

Mononoke cost around $18 million at the time (2.4 billion yen, around $22 million now) and Spirited Away, while having an official budget of $1.9 billion yen($18 million today) is reported to have scraped the $30 million mark.

Heck, Wings of Honneamise was $8 million back in 1986, and Akira was 1.1 billion yen ($11 million, though at the time it was much closer to $20 million)

If the studio is self-financing the production and promotion of a film, it's usually 2.5 x final cost to be considered in the black, simply because they don't have to pay back investors. Indy films it's 3x.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:

Hey, why do I show up as the author of this thread when Gatsu started it?

Because you were the first one to reply to the Innocence review, and that seems to not have started a new topic, but hijacked this one's ghost. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:38 am Reply with quote
Ryosei:
Quote:
The Last Samurai is a wonderful example, a film that made less than $100 million of its production and advertisement costs in the US (which, despite Cookie's claims, are the only costs involved in a film), yet went on to enter the Top 50 of all time highest grossing films worldwide, with a final profit of nearly $200 million.

Last Samurai didn't make as much money here as it could, because of its R rating, not because people didn't want to see it. Although it was admittedly tough to compete with ROTK too.

Quote:
Considering Innocence's production budget stands at ~$18 million US, and it's advertisement costs are likely $5-7 million (not the $10+ you seem to believe; no investor in the world would sign off on that much advertising for an anime film in Japan), it has now made close to half of it's entire budget costs in Japan alone, and that is only counting the theatrical release, not the future DVD sales or merchandise sales (for instance, the OST of Innocence placed in the Top 100 of items ordered on Amazon Japan in early March).

Yes, but when you compare it to sales for anime like the One Piece of Crap movie, it's not much of a hit. I mean it's never a good sign for any movie to only be in a theater for two weeks. Not that it couldn't be another Transformers: The Movie
down the road, but for now it's at least a disappointment if not a flop.

Quote:
Frankly, any other hopes for the picture revenue-wise at the Japanese BO would be unrealistic and greedy.

The Japanese seemed to like GITS when it was re-packaged as the Matrix. I don't see why they wouldn't go for a home-grown product.

Quote:
Please elaborate, as in order to facilitate my argument, I'd like to hear your understanding and interpretation of said concepts that Oshii tackles (which can be applied to both GITS and Innocence). Thank you.
]

The reviewer's probably an Evangelion fan.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yes, but when you compare it to sales for anime like the One Piece of Crap movie, it's not much of a hit.

Dammit Gatsu, One Piece is an excellent show. I'm convinced you have the worst taste on the planet.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The reviewer's probably an Evangelion fan.

What does being an Evangelion fan have to do with writing a review? Nothing.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
Ryosei, putting aside your petulant intellectualism, there is a major MAJOR flaw in your argumentation. You haven't seen the movie. Gabriel saw the movie, and he judged the philosophical content was too shallow. Zac saw it too and was of the same opinion. And I saw it too and thought pretty much the same thing. You have abolutely NO RIGHT to disagree with anything in this review as long as you haven't seen the film. And maybe -- just maybe -- when you do, you'll think the same thing as us.

I mean, it's not like we universally hate Oshii. He's made some amazing movies and is one of the most significant directors in anime. I admire him. But I think lately he has hit a creative dead-end. He's still obssessed with reality vs. virtuality and his dog/wolf imagery (part of his mad-genius charm in a way) and has been rehashing the same concepts for so long that they have grown stale. In artistic terms, he needs to "re-source".

Furthermore, I find your definition of "commercial success" to be baffling. Since when is breaking even considered a commercial success? That's just too naive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
I find your take on Innocence interesting considering you enjoyed Jin Roh. I've always disliked that film as I felt it was insulting in that it expected the viewer was a moron pushing it's metaphor again and again and again until all the subtlety was left in a smoking heap of ruin. Jin Roh is one of the only anime I've ever seen that actually pissed me off ebcuase I felt like the message of the film was...you're too stupid to figure out our deeper message so we're gonna spell it out for you...over and over again.

I understand that feeling because I felt exactly that way about Evangelion. And I've heard people say the same thing about Jin-Roh. For my part I thought the recurring narration of the Red Riding Hood tale was not pushing the metaphor again and again but more like splitting the whole long tale into smaller and more frequent chunks. Smaller to be less disruptive to the story (rather than a long monologue), and more frequent so it's never too far away from the audience's mind.

Anyway, I'd like to ask... if you feel the metaphor was pushed too hard, were you really able to predict the ending of Jin-Roh based on that Red Riding Hood metaphor? Because I certainly wasn't. I must admit I'm not too strong on that kind of thing, I tend to go with the flow of a movie rather than stand against it and try to "beat it" (i.e. predict what's going to happen). But even though in retrospect the metaphor practically shouted with foreshadowing, I never saw that ending coming and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

Oh, and for the record, Jin-Roh was not made by Oshii, it was made by Hiroyuki Okiura. while Oshii provided the script, as director Okiura had the authority to change it as he pleased, and he did so. While the supreme philosophical aspect is undeniably Oshii's, he wouldn't have been able to give the movie its human aspect like Okiura could. I really really want to see something else by Okiura. Something which is more "his own".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac: No, I just have no taste in overrated mediocre series like you.

Dan:
Quote:
You have abolutely NO RIGHT to disagree with anything in this review as long as you haven't seen the film.

Actually, he can disagree with the argumentative methods being used if he feels they show little bias or depth. I know I called the site on those factors back when you were trashing Metropolis and praising Blood.

Quote:
I mean, it's not like we universally hate Oshii. He's made some amazing movies and is one of the most significant directors in anime. I admire him. But I think lately he has hit a creative dead-end. He's still obssessed with reality vs. virtuality and his dog/wolf imagery (part of his mad-genius charm in a way) and has been rehashing the same concepts for so long that they have grown stale.

To be fair though, I think it reflects his introspective nature at this point.

Quote:
Furthermore, I find your definition of "commercial success" to be baffling. Since when is breaking even considered a commercial success?

Considering today's Hollywood budgets, you'd be surprised what studios will say to impress their investors.

Quote:
For my part I thought the recurring narration of the Red Riding Hood tale was not pushing the metaphor again and again but more like splitting the whole long tale into smaller and more frequent chunks. Smaller to be less disruptive to the story (rather than a long monologue), and more frequent so it's never too far away from the audience's mind.

My gripe was it just felt like a pointless analogy to progress the story.

Quote:
Anyway, I'd like to ask... if you feel the metaphor was pushed too hard, were you really able to predict the ending of Jin-Roh based on that Red Riding Hood metaphor?

It's not whether or not I could predict the ending, but whether I was satisfied with the ending.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4