• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
censoring private messages

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:08 am Reply with quote
this is a really lame practice. i understand you frown upon certain practices, but that doesn't mean i shouldn't be able to send people the links i want in private.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:03 am Reply with quote
ANN has a policy against linking to certain types of content, and that policy shouldn't change just because you're sending the links over quieter channels. Private Messages via ANN forums are still on ANN's site and are still subjected to the "law of the land," so to speak.

In short, too bad. Deal with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:09 am Reply with quote
HAHAHA! I had no idea the word censoring also applied to private messages. Too bad, I guess. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:51 am Reply with quote
Too bad he didn't think for five minutes on it either. Really you can use other methods to help people steal. Or at least spend 20 seconds to out think filters.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:02 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Too bad he didn't think for five minutes on it either. Really you can use other methods to help people steal. Or at least spend 20 seconds to out think filters.

The classic part though, is that he then comes on here and has the gall to first admit that he's trying to break the rules through PM, and then call the staff unjust for preventing him from doing so. Laughing
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:05 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
this is a really lame practice. i understand you frown upon certain practices, but that doesn't mean i shouldn't be able to send people the links i want in private.

Word Censoring is an automatic process. We choose URLs to ban and add them to the word censor. The forum takes care of the rest.

We recently had a spammer who used the PM system to invite people to his website. That sort of action is not allowed on ANN's forums, and so I banned the user for it. I felt perfectly justified in doing it because the PM system is a subsection of the ANN forum itself.

That said, the rules to the forum apply to the PMs as well, but are only dealt with when a moderator becomes aware of the problem.

Since we don't read PM's unless they're reported to us, that means almost no one has ever gotten in trouble for sending PMs.. but the rules apply, in the theoretical case that someone DOES need punished for abuse via PMs.. but because URL censoring is a part of the forum rules, it applies to PMs as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:

i know that, it's the principle of the matter.

oh well, i see cookie's point and this isn't worth arguing over. i'll just leave it at that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1