• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tytania (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
For a small nation who was backed into a corner by the might of Tytania, I think Fan's strategy was pretty logical in order to sustain their independence. spoiler[Considering that using their secret weapon on small fry will be a great waste, all he had to do was draw Ariabart's ship into the cannon's range to frighten them into retreating.]

Sure, it wasn't as impressive as Reinhard's or Yang's tactic in the first two episodes of LOGH, but it was pretty effective for the side with the lesser advantage.
zhir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying it wasn't well planned. I'm just saying that, because the viewer didn't know that spoiler[kind of weapon] existed in advance, it's basically just magic. This HAS to happen in space opera at some point, I just wish it wasn't the first episode.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2

spoiler[It is revealed the Euria had intended all along to submit their technology to Tytania, but the latter secretly made a deal with them to stage their defeat, so Tytania's might will be broadcasted throughout the entire universe, and for that reason the allegedly inept Fan Hulic was chosen to play the scapegoat, but as it was shown in the previous episode, things didn't go as planned. This makes me appreciate the first episode all the more.]

spoiler[The four dukes receive some characterization and some good scenes here, and just like with LOGH, Tanaka sensei's talent is evident when he succeeded in making each of the dukes unique and charismatic in their own way. The importance of Jouslain's character is emphasized throughout the episode, I also wonder how Fan's victory is going to fit into Idris' ambition -I speculate that aside from attempting to secure Fan Hulic, Idris role might turn out to be that of a rival/enemy for Jouslain to compete for the head's seat.]

spoiler[Is Jouslain's conversation with Felicia and Fan's last line in the episode a foreshadowing that this series with end with Tytania's downfall?]
Descent123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
spoiler[Is Jouslain's conversation with Felicia and Fan's last line in the episode a foreshadowing that this series with end with Tytania's downfall?]

Perhaps.

spoiler[I like how the episode ended with Fan becoming the "Heroic Bum" of the Universe.]

spoiler[Fan for all purposes, acts just like Yang Wen-Li.]
Descent123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The plot advances more in this episode.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I thought it had a really bad first episode personally. It did not make me want to watch more of it at all. It was pretty dry, the battle was mostly boring, and there was WAY too much jumping arround from place to place introducing characters that had no real relevance to the story thus far. Only when spoiler[the reversial] happened was it any interesting.

That being said the second and 3rd episodes were much more watchable and finally did hook me into the characters and story.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote
I personaly thought that ep 1 was a good introductory episode of the three main factions in the series -Tytania, the ruling family and Euria-, but still, I'm glad that more people gave this horribly underrated series a chance despite their dissatisfaction with the first episode Smile

spoiler[Fan is begining to grow on me, it made me like him all the more when he admitted unflinchingly that he had won by chance and that might not happen again.]

spoiler[Despite knowing that, Arres Tytania was desperate to convince him to accept Tytania's offer since his success in recruiting him meant leaving that backwater planet and getting on Ajman's good side. The entrance of that eunuch made Arres reminiscent of that Goldenbaum emperor from LOGH who ran off with the choir boy.]

spoiler[Idris was shown to be doing a 'cleansing' of some sort in the royal court, which was all according to Ajman's calculations who wanted to end Tytania's current stagnation and seemingly instigate a war against the royal family.]

spoiler[Next episode seems that it will center around the dukes dealing with Fan's escape, I hope that Jouslain and Idris will get more screentime.]
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
Edit: Anyone know if ANN supports any kind of strikethrough?

Code:
<strike>This line has been crossed out.</strike>
becomes:
This line has been crossed out.
You do have to have html code turned on for it to work.

As to Tytania itself, I have enjoyed the first three episodes so far. I've never seen LotGH so I can't draw the same comparisons, but I like the interactions of the different Tytania families and the structure they've set up. Fan Hyulick is definitely an interesting character, and he kind of reminds me of Tylor a little bit (from Irresponsible Captain Tylor) the way he's pretty easygoing and kind of a layabout. I think it will be interesting to see where his story goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ep4:

spoiler[And Fan Hyulick is reduced from a hero to the secretary of the mannish princess. Since Miranda seemed as disinterested as Fan was in the plan of reviving her country, I wonder how Fan's road will intersect with Lira later on, and what are the circumstances that will lead him to go against Tytania once again.]

spoiler[I don't know if I missed something while watching the first episode, but does anyone know who Lydia's father is? is it Zaliche since she mentioned that her father won't be returning home unless Fan Hyulic was captured, and currently Zaliche is shown to be the only one who's busy with that.]

This episode wasn't as good as the previous ones; the pacing of the parts with spoiler[Fan's recapture and escape ]felt so awkward, and the part with spoiler[Lira's grandmother reporting on him ]could've been done a lot better.

The events with the Tytanian side on the other hand are as interesting as ever. Enjoyed the interaction with Zaliche and Alres and the introduction of their mother, and spoiler[I wonder if the scene with Idris seemingly celebrating the news of Zaliche's failure on the balcony indicates that he might've tipped the rebels off to Fan's location and that he might be manipulating them so Fan will be delivered to his side; Idris just didn't strike me as the type to sit and wait for things to go bad to his favor.]
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
didn't watch the LotGH, but Tytania reminds me of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkosigan_Saga in style so much, its like fans dreams coming true.

At some points i seriously though who was copying from who as some events and episodes were almoust exactly like in a book. Aka Van taking over pirate fleet (he didn't accept the offer, but it will come soon enought).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching this show every week, and so far, qhile it has its merits, it really isn't living up to expectations or its potential. I wonder if there has been some filler that wasn't in the original story, because Legend of the Galactic Heroes was a lot more fulfilling. The problem is, Fan Hyluck spends a lot of time just sitting around doing nothing. Finally he's kicked into gear, so it looks like the show will, but it's taken quite a while, and it's tiresome just watching the Tytania family's infighting.

It looks like it may get a better. I hope it does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Legend of the Galactic Heroes was certainly far more epic in scale and Tytania isn't trying to tell exactly the same kind of story, but I've enjoyed the show quite a bit.

Granted, it probably doesn't help that the novels for Tytania were left unfinished after three volumes, though I've heard conflicting rumors about how the anime will handle that. So far though, I'm alright with it.

Yes, a lot of time was spent seeing Fan essentially running from one place to another, never really taking the initiative, but after episode 12 that has certainly changed and we may see the main plot advance now that the build-up is essentially out of the way.

However, I am still more interested in Tytania's side of the story, to be honest, so Fan will certainly need to do a lot in order to compensate for his previous inaction.
Hurock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
I've been totally thrown off my chair by what I saw in episode 12: spoiler[I thought that the retrieval of Lira would be the main purpose of the series, but to make her die so early really shows us where this is going. Yeah, I'm kind of sad, but still, now we know that Tytania will be in big trouble with Fan seeking for revenge.]
kornpone

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
NHK just started showing this on their main terrestrial channel (as opposed to broadcast satellite, where is first aired last fall) so I'm now watching it for the first time.

Good fun, if almost right-outta-the-80s retro. Sometimes the old look of the character designs is so jarring I practically forget it's a newish production --until some computer graphics show up, or I notice the widescreen, or the rich, stereo soundtrack.

Amusingly it has a great deal in common with NHK's annual epic, live action, Sunday night historical dramas ("Taiga Dramas"). Same heavily orchestrated and brashly bombastic OP, same mildly soporific female narration, same heavy emphasis on character development and political infighting.

Not to suit every taste, to be sure, but interestingly the Taiga Dramas of '08 and '09 have been wildly popular, so it's not too surprising that NHK might try the formula in anime --even giving the whole thing a faux 'historical' (ie, retro) feel. . .
Mika Miaka

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I recently finished this series about a week ago, and enjoyed it immensely.

I like the bright and colorful set and character designs. The way they created the atmosphere and aura is effective and efficient -- I can feel the tense environment of the Tytania world.

It was not a drag to see them talk and talk (this show is heavy in dialogue) because there are surprising details (such as more mouth movements) in their quality of production.

Like most animes I watch, I usually have no idea what the plot is about at all (and now I even skip/ignore OP and ED sequences for any series I watch because I want to remain spoiler-free -- Vampire Knight's ED taught me this! :/ ) and was surprised to learn that this series is actually a tense political thriller. My fav moments are when the dukes are altogether trying to one-up each other. LOL

Since it is a political thriller, there's a lot of ambition, and hence, a lot of backstabbing, driving the characters, making it fun to watch. I don't need constant fighting, though those sequences are fun too. I saw no flaw in their laser beams. LOL

One thing I don't get is Jouslain's motivations and ambitions. I don't know what he is trying to do -- there were numerous chances to capture Hyulick (esp. at the end) and yet he just walks away. Battle for another day, I suppose. But his character seems like the anti-thesis of what a duke in a supposedly tyrannical government would do.

The gov. of Tytania reminds me of CG's Brittania, but the demarcation line between good and evil is even more blurry here in terms of the government.

In short, I don't know if I want them to overthrow Tytania. Wouldn't a more efficient system exist if we were all ruled by one entity, provided this entity does not strip the culture and freedom of its people? Aside from Zarlisch's complete annihilation of that one planet, I don't really see how their rule is that bad, so whether Fan & Co. over throw Tytania is a moot point to me -- which works fine because it doesn't get resolved anyway, with what we have so far.

I look forward to future epis, if any. I adore the little Hime in the series, and would love to see her all grown up and involved in the plot, and perhaps fill the role of romantic interest to Jouslain and Idris. Juicy! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2