• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Sues CA Retail Sites over Alleged Bootlegs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redhandgrunt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
ReiClone88 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
It's better late than never.Now if they would go after illegal streaming sites and those video sites like veoh and youtube which has dub epsiodes of claymore and those fansubers,then they'll seriously send a message cause fansubs sucks like hell. Also, I'll gladly prefer the 4kids versions over fansubs any day of the week cause some are actually good.
I find that statement to be quite hypocritical coming from someone with a Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS avatar when the first season won't be released in R1 until December. Confused

I've never seen the series.Only the h-doujinshi of them.Just because i have the av for it doesn't mean i've actually seen it.I'm waiting for the dub versions to come out.Already preodered the Box Set for Season 1.

Also "Redhandgrunt" You may not forgive them,but i do cause

[/b]#1) "It ain't their fault.They had to comply with the US's FCC rules and regulations OR risk getting fined and/or shut downed and their CEO's can end up in federal Jail.Cause in an old article on the site,that CEO from Media Blasters admited that he's a chicken ass with with comes to going to jail,and the FCC is doing this "in order to protecting the children from TV Violence", which is so dumb,so i blame the US gov't for these dumb ass regulations and not 4kids who's just obeying the govt[/b]

[/b]And #2) they did well with both the pokemon and yugioh series so the're not that bad,and i liked their versions of one piece. Sure they made a mess of Tokyo Mew Mew,but as a guy who watches english dubs only, it's ok alongs as the series is supported legaly. And besides Compared to what Pionneer did to the dub versions of sailormoon super S and Ikkitousen,and what viz media did to Rannma 1/2,and what Adv films did to the uncut versions of Saint Seiya, the 4kids dub was better than those disasters anyday. AM i wrong?[/b]

With all due respect. Yeah. You are. You aren't afraid of violence when you replace all of the music in a show with techno. You aren't afraid of violence when you turn a black character white. I could go on and on but this topic is not about One Piece so this is the last I will say on the matter.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
redhandgrunt wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Also "Redhandgrunt" You may not forgive them,but i do cause

[/b]#1) "It ain't their fault.They had to comply with the US's FCC rules and regulations OR risk getting fined and/or shut downed and their CEO's can end up in federal Jail.Cause in an old article on the site,that CEO from Media Blasters admited that he's a chicken ass with with comes to going to jail,and the FCC is doing this "in order to protecting the children from TV Violence", which is so dumb,so i blame the US gov't for these dumb ass regulations and not 4kids who's just obeying the govt[/b]

[/b]And #2) they did well with both the pokemon and yugioh series so the're not that bad,and i liked their versions of one piece. Sure they made a mess of Tokyo Mew Mew,but as a guy who watches english dubs only, it's ok alongs as the series is supported legaly. And besides Compared to what Pionneer did to the dub versions of sailormoon super S and Ikkitousen,and what viz media did to Rannma 1/2,and what Adv films did to the uncut versions of Saint Seiya, the 4kids dub was better than those disasters anyday. AM i wrong?[/b]

With all due respect. Yeah. You are. You aren't afraid of violence when you replace all of the music in a show with techno. You aren't afraid of violence when you turn a black character white. I could go on and on but this topic is not about One Piece so this is the last I will say on the matter.

I'm going to say yes/no.

Unfortunately, One Piece did get a mass butchy editing. The whole "black character color change" was fear of the whole blackface fiasco, which they thought it would offend african americans- god forbid a parent sees that on TV and decides to complain about it.

I kid you not, it's friggin true. If a parent can complain, it's most likely going to be looked at and scrutinized to hell. So, 4Kids will try to avoid it before it even starts. Next to that, it's not just the FCC, it's standards by the Japanese producers of One Piece that the US licensors need to abide by, no questions asked. So the edits of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and other 4Kids shows weren't just "US to blame." You also have to realize it's a huge cultural difference, and our country is full of conservatives who are not afraid to challenge what they deem as horribly offensive.

Anime hyper And people who know the original version may not be inclined to watch a watered down "children's version" of the show that they've probably already purchased the manga in a bookstore. That's why I'm personally glad that Viz made the decision to cater to both young and older fans by creating Naruto DVDs edited AND uncut. If future companies are able to do that with other shows, it may be a break through. Pokemon? Probably not.

As for your comparison of 4 kids dubs to the other shows you've listed, I highly, highly disagree with you. Most of them kept true to the original Japanese version, despite their editing (I don't even think Ranma 1/2 was edited...but I could be wrong).
loverboy_78596

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
I am glad that they finally got busted since I saw that they had booleged items, but I want to knwo what is going to happen to all those people that had preorders with them. I know for a fact that they take your money for pre-orders before they get them in.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
loverboy_78596 wrote:
I am glad that they finally got busted since I saw that they had booleged items, but I want to knwo what is going to happen to all those people that had preorders with them. I know for a fact that they take your money for pre-orders before they get them in.

They are required by law to refund any pre-orders that did not ship.Of course, if they declare bankruptcy, the refunds might never arrive.

-t
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
They are required by law to refund any pre-orders that did not ship.Of course, if they declare bankruptcy, the refunds might never arrive.

-t
Very true. Depending on the type of bankruptcy they file, they might be required to refund their customers (assuming they even stay in the bankruptcy which isn't a given, people/companies drop out all the time) or they might not have to do any sort of refund. The main purpose of filing is usually just to prevent asset seizure or allow time to restructure.

Of course, if the judge orders them to do it, they won't have any choice but to offer refunds. I'm not as familiar with California law as Georgia law on the subject though.

I'm willing to hazard a guess though that they will declare bankruptcy at some point. If Funimation gains any ground in this lawsuit, they'll do it as a precautionary measure.
Lupin_IV

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Most of them kept true to the original Japanese version, despite their editing (I don't even think Ranma 1/2 was edited...but I could be wrong).

The visual edits in the retail versions of Ranma 1/2 were for translation purposes (replacing Kanji with English text) only, but Viz also did a broadcast version at the same time for CBS (and may the edited version never be spoken of again).
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Lupin_IV wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Most of them kept true to the original Japanese version, despite their editing (I don't even think Ranma 1/2 was edited...but I could be wrong).

The visual edits in the retail versions of Ranma 1/2 were for translation purposes (replacing Kanji with English text) only, but Viz also did a broadcast version at the same time for CBS (and may the edited version never be spoken of again).
I never payed any attention to edits until the 2000's.Didn't care really,but was that all there was for Ranma 1/2? I own all that Viz released for Ranma 1/2,was it just text?

It always seemed unedited.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:
Those awesome discounts, however, were probably made possible thanks to profits derived from the bootlegs; they can't cost much to manufacture or obtain, and selling enough of them for $20.00 would probably bring in enough surplus to yield and even break after slashing the hell out of the prices of legitimate R1 merchandise. In doing so, they would have been able to attract both new customers who didn't know any better and some returning customers informed enough to avoid said bootlegs, relying primarily on the former to stay in business. If that were the case, then you and I would have been little more than the company's leeches, getting cheap R1 DVDs paid for in part by customers shelling out money for bootlegs.
Wow I never thought about that possibility.
the Rancorous wrote:

Yes. This is definitely a good first step; personally I think taking out the bootleggers should be a bigger priority than the subbers who don't honor licenses.
I agree with you there.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Lupin_IV wrote:

Let's not call adding text onto the video as an edit, it's only going to confuse things. An "edit" is defined as cutting the video, which did not occur on the Viz releases other than the swapping out of some OP/ED sequences on the OAVs.

Do you have some proof about that edited airing on CBS? Because I was already pretty active in anime circles by the time the first Viz releases happened, and this is the first I am hearing of any Stateside broadcast of Ranma 1/2. It would've been gigantic news back in 1995.
Lupin_IV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Do you have some proof about that edited airing on CBS? Because I was already pretty active in anime circles by the time the first Viz releases happened, and this is the first I am hearing of any Stateside broadcast of Ranma 1/2. It would've been gigantic news back in 1995.

I don't remember where I read it, but a deal between Viz and CBS was established that CBS handled the US theatrical releases of the movies and Viz made the series available to CBS.
The network only ordered the first 30 episodes, which they then decided against airing nationwide. A few affiliates ran the episodes, but (if I remember correctly) it was only about a half dozen stations that aired them.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
Lupin_IV wrote:
I don't remember where I read it, but a deal between Viz and CBS was established that CBS handled the US theatrical releases of the movies and Viz made the series available to CBS.
The network only ordered the first 30 episodes, which they then decided against airing nationwide. A few affiliates ran the episodes, but (if I remember correctly) it was only about a half dozen stations that aired them.

As CBS is not, and has never been, in the theatrical release business, this story sounds dubious at best. The idea of CBS even considering airing a nudity-laden cartoon as intensely Japanese as Ranma 1/2 is already a ludicrous one. You're going to need to find a source to quote if this is to be believed.
Lupin_IV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Lupin_IV wrote:

As CBS is not, and has never been, in the theatrical release business, this story sounds dubious at best. The idea of CBS even considering airing a nudity-laden cartoon as intensely Japanese as Ranma 1/2 is already a ludicrous one. You're going to need to find a source to quote if this is to be believed.

CBS Theatrical Films does exist, and it is listed on the Wikipedia entry for Ranma 1/2*, but aside from some that and some posts I've read in other forums** where people claimed to vaguely remember seeing it on tv in the San Fransisco area, ("possibly KPIX",) there's nothing I know of that I can point you to as proof at this juncture.

*not that information on Wikipedia can be trusted
**which can only be trusted as much as Wikipedia
TOXICPANDA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Since I never bought the DVDs I never thought that DADVD were bootleggers. But then again I should have noticed. Anyways I had preordered one manga from them so yeah. I only went there to buy books and I really appreciated that they put the books in plastic protecters.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know Ranma 1/2 was on CBS...
JuniorMintKiss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well this sucks.

I had an order pending thru them when this hit. So I'll probably never see my $30 refunded. But after reading the article, it came to me that I may have been duped like so many others. I preordered the FMA boxset, with the movie included. Some of the episode titles are still in Japanese and a few of the episodes skipped and would play over again. The case that the movie came in was all in Japanese and they even spelled the movie title wrong: The Conqueror of Shamba." I started working again on my home inventory and there wasn't an ISBN or UPC on my boxset, so that should have told me something right there...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10