• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotlight: Princess Resurrection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Hey all, I would be Jason Green, the guy who wrote this article. Thanks for the thoughtful comments, sameulp and championferret.

I don't know that i can add much more than what Zac said that this was meant more as an informational piece and an introduction to the show/franchise for people not familiar with it....it was not meant as a review. I've re-read it several times, and while I still can't see where this article qualifies as "glowing" (other than calling the character designer "skillful" and the "if you like this kind of thing, this is the kind of thing you'll like"-style last sentence, it's strictly informational), the point is it's NOT supposed to come off as glowing. Something for me to keep an eye on in the future. Again, thanks for the comments!

I'd have to agree with the others in that the article came off as more of an infomercial/press release piece than informational one. It was well written in the former sense, but for the latter, it came off as a "positive" promotional writing meant to move DVD units. Having reread it again, it feels a little more informative, but parts of the beginning and the last full paragraph (and the last line of the article) and some of the adjectives used to describe the characters make the rest of it feel more like PR. Overall, while the article wasn't bad, there are some areas that one has to be careful of when writing those types of pieces.

----------

Back on topic, I wasn't terribly interested in the show, despite it being a Madhouse production, when it first debuted. Currently, the only real reason I'll be taking a look at it when it comes out on TAN is because of Kazuya Kuroda's character designs. Vandread's designs (my first exposure to his') turned me off quite a lot and I avoided wanting to see any of Kuroda's other work. After a chance notice of some of his drawings recently, I've grown to like his style, which has looked much better since then show. That alone may not make Princess Resurrection great, but it might make things a little more worthwhile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
If "more of the same" is your cup of tea, so be it. But I won't be silent about it.
No offense, but why not? Your constant attacks may be having the opposite effect of what you intend. Your attacks are so strident and disrespectful toward other viewpoints that you're not winning a lot of points.

Also, doesn't it get kind of frustrating constantly attacking a show that in spite of all your efforts has been licensed, will be released and likely will also do well? (At least as well as AIR and Kanon based on fan commentary.)

There are more than a few movies, TV shows and books that I find personally offensive too but what's the point of getting bent out of shape?

Can't uncreate them, can't kill all their fans. It's as pointless as arguing politics, you'll never change the mind of someone once they've picked a side. They have to be disillusioned themselves.

--------------------------------------

About the article itself, I don't really get the criticism that it's somehow a praise-fest. All it really did was give a relatively neutral description of the show, with a few minor positive comments from the writer on things he specifically liked, and ends in a great "if you like this sort of thing, this is the show for you!" comment. Personally, I don't think it was any more positive than the previous one for GL, though it doesn't have as much general info. (Maybe that's why people are thinking it's more positive than it is? Lack of deeper background info?)

I wish regular reviews would have a little more recognition that shows of a particular genre/style are intended for fans of that genre/style. Some of the reviewers on ANN love to attack certain shows for being part of the their own genre. If you hate -insert genre here-'s tropes and conventions, why are you reviewing that genre? (It's like asking Jack Thompson to review Grand Theft Auto and then treating the review as unbiased.)
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the most "positive" thing I can think about the article is simply that the anime HAD an article. I think that's getting under people's skin if anything. "omg I can't believe this crap I hated has people writing pieces on it and xxxyyy didn't"

Richard J. wrote:
Some of the reviewers on ANN love to attack certain shows for being part of the their own genre. If you hate -insert genre here-'s tropes and conventions, why are you reviewing that genre?

Yeah but you are aware of this, so you don't have to read or agree with the reviews. I think it's a pretty fair way of reviewing. If you want to review it with a "well some fans could like this" then you would have a paragraph stating that at the end of every single review -ever-. Even "absolute crap" has fans.
aelphais

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
I actually really liked this anime. Read the manga up to vol. 4 (5 either came out recently or is coming out soon, which I'll pick up) but so far the anime and manga seem to be pretty close, which gave me hope that there'd be a second season sometime.

However, upon looking more into it, seems like most people don't like it, and apparently it didn't do too well. But I'll probably pick up the DVDs anyway.

Anyway, I'm hoping they'll make another season as manga allows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3