• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Listen To Me Girls, I'm Your Father! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Just watched it. If you can look past the spoiler[marriage] thing, the OAD is worth a watch as a series wrap up. It follows spoiler[the ghosts of Yuri and Shingo as they see how their family has grown four years after their deaths.]
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
OAD

That was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, which is exactly what I expected from the series. I am little disappointed they reused the OP and ED animation instead of spoiler[showing us Sora and Yuuta's wedding]. spoiler[Them getting together] was entirely unexpected and I think spoiler[they worked as a couple], absent the context; I definitely want to read the series to find out more about how it happened, but was it really that sudden Vaisaga?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It follows spoiler[the ghosts of Yuri and Shingo as they see how their family has grown four years after their deaths.]

Whoa, they were spoiler[really dead the whole time? I had heard rumors that they were actually alive and returned sometime later] so this comes out as a surprise to me.

I haven't actually watch the OVA yet but the spoilers of how it ends puts me off. Especially with the problem Vaisaga described.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:35 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I definitely want to read the series to find out more about how it happened, but was it really that sudden Vaisaga?

Mind you I've only read summaries written by other people who've read the books. But yeah, spoiler[Yuuto had it bad for Raika for the entire series but when she confessed to him he rejected her and later proposed to Sora. There was no gradual progression of him falling out of love with Raika and starting to see Sora as a woman, it just came out of nowhere.] I don't have an inherent problem with the outcome itself, but it needed proper development or else it's just an asspull.

EmbraceMe wrote:
Whoa, they were spoiler[really dead the whole time? I had heard rumors that they were actually alive and returned sometime later] so this comes out as a surprise to me.

Early on Yuuto has a dream about them being stranded with some tribe in the middle of nowhere so that seemed to be hinting at their fate. But spoiler[they couldn't get any deader.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Would someone send me a PM as t where this is streaming?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
It's not. Crunchyroll had the original series, and they haven't posted this one or the earlier OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Arrrr, and this be why piracy is forever!

For the record, this is the 3rd OVA.
crh1985

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I have been thinking about this all day

I was real upset with the ova but I think it ended a lot of things from the anime

Sora spoiler[ we know she graduated from school and that she is going to marry the one she loved from the start ]

Miu spoiler[ she is planning to move out when she enters highschool, she is planning to get into fashion, and my try to become a pop idol. ]

Hina spoiler[ has started to talk much more clearly, she has accepted the death of her mother & father, and she is good in gym ]

the only thing is the marrage decision where we get spoiler[ "the two where awkward as H***, but they were earnest. they went through all sorts of hoops before deciding to marry. but they reached that decision with the love & support of everyone. ]

but it did show that they can figure stuff out

and maybe we might get a 3rd/4th ova spoiler[ we still have not seen them kiss ] and it may tell us how they got there
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
crh1985 wrote:
and maybe we might get a 3rd/4th ova spoiler[ we still have not seen them kiss ] and it may tell us how they got there

Unlikely. This OAD is meant as a companion to the final novel so it's assuming people have read the books.

But if it's a spoiler[kiss] you want...
crh1985

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
ya my hopes aren't high but it could be the wedding where Yuuta & Sora think about how he got to this point
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of in Yttrbio's camp on this one. Conceptually, yeah, I'm a little skeeved, but the execution was surprisingly poignant.

Should I bother mounting the, "but they're not even blood cousins!" defense? Hey, at least he's not marrying Hina, right???
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
You can also add "she's 18" and "she never considered him her father" to that too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
OVA 3? (I guess second since the first was a thirteenth episode, regardless it looks like the end)

Just watching it and thinking, I think that I fall into a camp that is not entirely sure what to think of it on the concept that spoiler[Sora and Yuta are getting married], especially if there was spoiler[little build up in the novels]. But how this was executed was actually pretty good. Leaving out spoiler[the marriage thing], watching after this major time skip from where the anime finished where we see spoiler[through the narration of the ghost parents], I think it was a good wrap up. The girls seem happy and have grown.

With the spoiler[marrying thing], that he was spoiler[her guardian] makes it kind of iffy. But just looking at the family we knew that they were made of three sisters that each had a different mother, in general the show had quite a bit about how families can be different. And they said that they camespoiler[ to the conclusion after a lot of thinking and the support of their loved ones], so it looks like a situation that an outsider has little right to criticise. They apparently have not had spoiler[any kissing yet, which can be odd but is not necessarily a part of every relationship, at the least they looked close]. And they are young, they are allowed to make mistakes and change courses later.

And I think most importantly was that the ghosts expressed concerns the audience might have, and made us see it was maybe not as crazy as we might think in just hearing the big fact. Honestly I had tears at a few scenes, maybe it was not that serious, but these characters, them growing, and the charm of everything including the songs. I feel that I can say goodbye to it now.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
But just looking at the family we knew that they were made of three sisters that each had a different mother,

In Miu's case spoiler[she has a different father too. Sasha already had her when she married Shingo.]
crh1985

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
me and my friend went and shotguned this (for me a 2nd time and for him the 1st time but read the wiki)

it was there and I mean a lot Sora was acting like a mom from the start, from helping with the girls, to watching the $, learning to cook, & helping out around the house, but there just was not a lot of growth for the love but the love was there from the first time she opened her phone saying' [spoiler]"I don't like guys my age"(Doki subs)[/spoiler]

with Raika there where sense where she was trying to get with him (that hit as hard as flying concrete) but in the most part she wanted to be with the girls because [spoiler]they were CUTE and the love just was not there[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22