• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled Promo Video Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the crazy jazz horns seem out-of-place to people, considering that the original series, like almost every other Goro Taniguchi work ever, is chock-full of spastic brass. Razz
Fukurou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Did the creators of the OVA think Jazz came from France?

What ? Shocked
The pillars of free jazz are mostly from the United states.

tuxedocat wrote:

Jazz is really big in France actually.

I don't think so.
Source : I'm french.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Fukurou wrote:

I don't think so.

Big, small...useless notions. The point is Jazz has a place in France/Europe music history.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I liked the chaotic trumpet play. It reminded me of avant-garde jazz (apologies if I get the genre wrong, I feel like I'm letting my former jazz teacher, who introduced to the genre, down for not being sure), so that would explain why the reaction in this thread has been the way it is. lol There's definitely nothing like that in Cowboy Bebop, anyways.

I don't appreciate the CG mechas, though. The Sunrise producer said a while back they were running behind schedule, so I guess this is the decision they had to make....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Jazz isn't really 'big' anywhere anymore; it's moment in the sun peaked in the thirties and has faded since. The last time I went to a jazz concert most of the audience were middle-aged white people from the suburbs (I fail to meet only one of those qualifiers... damn it). Nevertheless, I don't think that it's too improper to use it here. Several famous jazz musicians spent time performing and even living in France and it has produced its own musicians. The best known French jazz musician, Django Rheinhardt, was in fact Belgian, but that's not too far off.

braves wrote:
I liked the chaotic trumpet play. It reminded me of avant-garde jazz (apologies if I get the genre wrong, I feel like I'm letting my former jazz teacher, who introduced to the genre, down for not being sure), so that would explain why the reaction in this thread has been the way it is. lol There's definitely nothing like that in Cowboy Bebop, anyways.

I think that avant-garde might be it, but I too feel that I am failing a former jazz instructor. It's certainly further out than the score from Cowboy Bebop, although "NY Rush" is pointed in that direction and is also the song that most of my friends like least from the score. If there's more like it in the score for the series, I'll be delighted, but it will quite evidently be divisive. I hope that the storytelling shows some of the same daring.

Imagine if the song had been free jazz (like, say, this). That'd've been a hoot (Hell, I can't do much more with most of that than stare and mumble, "what?)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Unless you have seen a better stream the I say hold your tongue about the "horrid" CGI. Everything in the trailer looked bad at 360p.

720p wasn't much better neither.

Fukurou wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Did the creators of the OVA think Jazz came from France?

What ? Shocked
The pillars of free jazz are mostly from the United states.

tuxedocat wrote:

Jazz is really big in France actually.

I don't think so.

Besides, only true Southerners play real jazz and blues! Laughing
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
couldn't watch the trailer because it said it was taken down due to someone (name was in Japanese) flagging it down. does anyone else know where to find this trailer?

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Too bad Bandai chose to die off as this came out. I guess this means Sentai will end up going for it and maybe the movie as well.

It could be dubbed by another company willing to take it in.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Fukurou wrote:

I don't think so.

Big, small...useless notions. The point is Jazz has a place in France/Europe music history.

I can only speak of my experiences when I've visited there, and I have never had any trouble finding jazz places. Cool Cool

edited to add: There is also a pretty cool Black Metal scene going on there too. Really good stuff.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
couldn't watch the trailer because it said it was taken down due to someone (name was in Japanese) flagging it down. does anyone else know where to find this trailer?

never mind, i found another link to it
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Despite the CGI mechs and the strange and non-fitting Jazz music that permeated the promo, at least we finally got some footage!

So will it be a movie or an OVA series? It's been four years since season two ended and with this finally coming up after long anticipation, it better not disappoint because to me, Lelouch is what defined Code Geass and it would be pretty difficult to have a new compelling main character that could top him in future installments.

With Bandai going down under, will this and the upcoming anime film adaptations ever get a chance to make it to our shores? I can only cross my fingers if it ever happens.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Well I am still definitely looking forward to this, and pray to god that somebody licenses it over here. I could only find a crappy quality version of the trailer but it looks good from what I can tell. I will agree though that the music is out of place for a trailer like this, but it's not a bad piece of music on its own. It does make me wonder if the same music composer is returning for this project of if they found someone new, which I would not be happy with, since I adore the original soundtrack that was in the original series.

It will also take me a little while to get past the CG Knightmares, as I don't recall CG being used for Knightmares in the past, it feels a little out of place. Still, I don't think the action looked that bad at all from what I could make out from the trailer.

So yeah, it looks good, and I hope I don't have to wait to long for it to come over here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
we can't really judge the overall quality of the show since this is just a trailer. also agree the cgi knightmare frames are going to take some time getting use to. doesn't mean it's going to be terrible. can't judge a book by it's cover.

the one thing that gets me interested in this new series is the fact we get to see what goes on in the EU, which barely got any attention (the only depictions we get of the EU that i remember is the small battle they had with Suzaku and a quick shot of London). the alternate history of code geass, which is pretty crazy to begin with, catches my interest so more info on the code geass world is great and helpful.

it would also be cool if they had cameos of characters from the original Code Geass series, or at least a reference to events occurring in Area 11.

Lycosyncer wrote:
With Bandai going down under, will this and the upcoming anime film adaptations ever get a chance to make it to our shores? I can only cross my fingers if it ever happens.

i was worrying about the same thing, but my friend believes it's still going to be dubbed even if Bandai goes down because Code Geass still has a large fanbase and potential in it, which makes other companies want to step in and take the job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3