• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Stream Naruto on Naruto.com Within 1 Week of Japanese Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katawe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:38 am Reply with quote
Conan-san, you make some excellent points that I agree with, but are you sure you won't be able to get this outside of the U.S.? I've been looking through TV Tokyo's press release, and it keeps emphasising that this will be worldwide. Besides, when I was looking at the discussion thread for one of the related articles, I found this:

Quote:
If it seems that the videos aren't working for you on Crunchyroll, try watching Linebarrels of Iron, or other officially streamed Gonzo shows such as Strike Witches and The Tower of Druaga. These work fine for me in the UK. The shows that aren't working for you are almost certainly the Toei shows (Slam Dunk, FotNS, Pretty Cure, etc.), for which the streaming deal only applies to the US and Canada.

You may not have to be outraged.
kaworu1986

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Onizuka666 wrote:
To Greed

I think you are totally missing the point that Conan is trying to make. This thing we take advantage of is called the World Wide Web, doh, because it goes world wide.

When Viz etc stop dividing the net up into regions unnecessarily (and I'm sure its got nothing to do with licensing, perhaps if it was on traditional tv you'd need such a license to show it, but online theirs no need for that, to my knowledge) and allow streaming globally, the same way the likes of You Tube and Crunchy Roll do, then I'll rejoice. Until then, I'll continue using torrents and Crunchy Roll.

Sure, while many frown upon Crunchy Roll for their apparent shady dealing, the deal with Gonzo and their anime tipped all that on its head. And hey presto, things seem to be working out. Therefore, I'm in support of the Crunchy Roll model as a positive online way forward for the anime industry. Anything less than global streaming access is pretty half baked at best. Crunchy are like the anime secret agent coming in from the cold, and we are the better for it.

I don't dig Naruto, but I'm well aware Viz have plenty of other cool anime in their vaults that I'd love to see online for free/paid streaming or DL. No chance of a European like me seeing any of them though (bar DVD importing).

Remember, anime is a niche pursuit outside of music, films, games etc, that most folk like. It needs all the help it can get, and that's why global ,not region streaming/DLs is the way forward.

Anyway, I'm off to watch some Blade of the Immortal I DLed. Enjoy what you get, Naruto fans.

Just because it's called the "World Wide Web" doesn't mean it's exempt from laws governing particular nations. Licenses apply to distribution in any form. Why do you think there is region encoding on DVDs? A copyright is a copyright regardless of how the product is distributed. A primary factor behind regions and requiring separate companies in different areas to acquire licenses for the same products is to make at least some attempt to avoid piracy. So the 'need' is that they are legally bound to adhere to their regions, and I seriously doubt if it would be worth it for a company to infringe on the legally defined markets of another and suffer the consequences just because it's called the "World Wide Web". There is absolutely no requirement that says something has to be made available to anyone and everyone simply because it's online.

Additionally, the Japanese companies have quite a bit of authority when it comes to how their product is distributed because they own it. That's why, despite the obvious preference for box sets over single volumes that has developed, it still took this long before shows started going immediately to sets. So there is a strong possibility that they wish to make this process as controllable as they can, especially since it is still a very new method.

Region coding on DVDs and other media is there for one and only one reason: market segmentation, to make sure people pay as much as "the market will bear" in each area.
Also, how does licensing a property to different companies in different markets reduce piracy? Licensing made sense as it allowed physical copies of a work to be manufactured closer to their selling place, keeping costs down; considering the internet's ability to distribute information everywhere in the world at close to no cost, the only reasons to keep the old system around are inertia on the part of the creators and the scare tactics adopted by licensing companies, who would find themselves without a reason to exist.
By copyright law, the creator of a work has no obligation to license it to different companies in different markets: just look at how Penny Arcade are selling their game through Playgreenhouse.com.
Until media companies realize there's an userbase outside Japan and the US/Canada that is fed up of being treated as second class customers and there are people who like content not offered in their market my bittorrent client will serve me well.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Katawe wrote:
Conan-san, you make some excellent points that I agree with, but are you sure you won't be able to get this outside of the U.S.? I've been looking through TV Tokyo's press release, and it keeps emphasising that this will be worldwide. Besides, when I was looking at the discussion thread for one of the related articles, I found this:

Quote:
If it seems that the videos aren't working for you on Crunchyroll, try watching Linebarrels of Iron, or other officially streamed Gonzo shows such as Strike Witches and The Tower of Druaga. These work fine for me in the UK. The shows that aren't working for you are almost certainly the Toei shows (Slam Dunk, FotNS, Pretty Cure, etc.), for which the streaming deal only applies to the US and Canada.

You may not have to be outraged.
I dunno, not geting Fist of the north star and instead geting Naruto seems like some sort of cosmic insult from beyond the stars.

But it seems to be a rather stacked lottery in regards to showing stuff online. because one little bampot and guess what, you've got no legal way to see it and no illigal way to see it ether, leaving me two kinds of effed.
BRODEL2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
When I first read this I thought it was an awesome idea. An actual legit way to watch current episodes of one of my favorite anime.

Then after I calmed down a bit I realized this was streaming only. I would gladly pay for this iTunes style at 1.99 or 2.99 an episode, but I haven't seen anything like that mentioned yet. Now I've seen DB announce they are going to stop subbing Naruto because of this and am worried I won't be able to watch this in decent quality on the TV anymore. Maybe I'll have to look into setting up boxee on a mac mini or something.. oh well more money out the window I guess.

I guess I'll start looking at how much that's gonna cost me.

I love the idea.. just wish they'd release a file download for a small fee as well.
yugioholsson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
BRODEL2 wrote:
When I first read this I thought it was an awesome idea. An actual legit way to watch current episodes of one of my favorite anime.

Then after I calmed down a bit I realized this was streaming only. I would gladly pay for this iTunes style at 1.99 or 2.99 an episode, but I haven't seen anything like that mentioned yet. Now I've seen DB announce they are going to stop subbing Naruto because of this and am worried I won't be able to watch this in decent quality on the TV anymore. Maybe I'll have to look into setting up boxee on a mac mini or something.. oh well more money out the window I guess.

I love the idea.. just wish they'd release a file download for a small fee as well.

This is exactly what i am worried about DB was doing such a great service by making it HD and a day after its released. Seriously if anyone is happy about this go take a look at www.naruto.com and look at the opening for shippuuden the streaming is so smalllll. Sad its really a sad day for Anime fans.
RichardMNixon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will be successful so other companies adopt it for shows that don't suck.

I'm pretty sure its just the preview that's that small. Hulu has a full screen feature so you'll be able to get it there. Not sure if it would be HD though.
Razor512

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:42 pm Reply with quote
this sucks.

when it is streaming, the quality is not as good and it cuts off all mobile users

a week is also too long compared to the current release times

usually when it becomes streaming, you wind up with a commercial every 5 minutes like with hulu this ruins the show

it just leads to a bad experience with the show

streaming sites like hulu suck with it comes to episodes, most of my favorite shows on hulu wind up with lots of problems like
having the first 3 episodes, then it skips 8 then it has 2 more episodes,

not to mention the obnoxious ads and the same one playing over and over

if db stops subbing then hopefully another group will take over

I hate streaming anime, flash has no automatic smart deblocking or proper hardware accelerated high quality interpolating this is why videos on hulu look pixelated even though it is clear, you can see each large pixel

flash is also more cpu intensive as videocards don't apply additional hardware acceleration to them, this makes it hard to play games and watch anime at the same time,

another problem on the naruto site, the streaming window doesn't even have a full screen option

just checked other work by viz

it's terrible what they did to the shows. the quality sucks, the subtitles are oversized and obnoxious

they keep their oversized logo plastered over the video (not even real tv stations do that)

and then theres just the ad spam

when they start releasing episodes, those who watched the fan sub will be like 90 episodes ahead, which means if db stops subbing, users will have to wait over a year before they can watch a new subtited episode
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
yugioholsson wrote:
BRODEL2 wrote:

This is exactly what i am worried about DB was doing such a great service by making it HD and a day after its released. Seriously if anyone is happy about this go take a look at www.naruto.com and look at the opening for shippuuden the streaming is so smalllll. Sad its really a sad day for Anime fans.

It ain't to me.At least people will see it legaly.Also i'm sure it'll be released on CN. And it'll be really decent if it actually comes out on AS. Unfortunately the filler archs hasn't been finished as yet so it'll be a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Razor512 wrote:
when they start releasing episodes, those who watched the fan sub will be like 90 episodes ahead, which means if db stops subbing, users will have to wait over a year before they can watch a new subtited episode

wow you're bad at reading Smile

Please don't spread lies.

-Tofu
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
yugioholsson wrote:
BRODEL2 wrote:

I feel that you're taking way too much of face value.

The streaming OP is just what it is. A preview. It has no reflection on how the final aired stream will be. And I highly doubt it will be that small. There's not really to make the OP theme 10 times as big when it's only a small clip of nothing.

As for a fee, it'll most likely come in later, I'm wondering who's really willing to pay once they get what they ask for.

And as for people complaining about ads. That's the only way you're going to get it for free, because I know that a lot of people are still not willing to pay even if they get some kind of compromised deal.

At least there's funding to support the free streaming somewhere. >_>;
pugwash2004

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
For a test I decided to checkout the now operating naruto video streaming site by Viz Media.

Episodes 1 - 16 are currently listed as available but with one big prequisite YOU HAVE TO BE IN THE US!

On attempting to view one of the update episodes released this week I get the nice message that 'The requested video cannot be viewed in your region'.

So I'm now left in the situation of waiting for Manga the UK distributor to finally release them in about 3 years at the rate they're going as they're only halfway through releasing series 5 of the original Naruto so I may as well give up on Naruto entirely.

Yes I know about the ways to fool hulu.com into thinking I'm in the US and I've just spent the last couple of hours trying a few and to say I was unsuccessful would be an understatement.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
pugwash2004 wrote:
For a test I decided to checkout the now operating naruto video streaming site by Viz Media.

Episodes 1 - 16 are currently listed as available but with one big prequisite YOU HAVE TO BE IN THE US!

On attempting to view one of the update episodes released this week I get the nice message that 'The requested video cannot be viewed in your region'.

So I'm now left in the situation of waiting for Manga the UK distributor to finally release them in about 3 years at the rate they're going as they're only halfway through releasing series 5 of the original Naruto so I may as well give up on Naruto entirely.

Yes I know about the ways to fool hulu.com into thinking I'm in the US and I've just spent the last couple of hours trying a few and to say I was unsuccessful would be an understatement.

The International stream is via Crunchyroll and Naruto.com, Viz only has the right to stream in North America.
miniKar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:

The International stream is via Crunchyroll and Naruto.com, Viz only has the right to stream in North America.

Naruto.com don't work. ("The requested video cannot be displayed in your region" or "The requested video is not available") Because the page redirects me automatically to naruto.viz.com

Crunchyroll ? maybe, don't know - Because everytime: "Stream not ready jet" and if i wait some time "Connection failed".

Crying or Very sad
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote
I'll be waiting for the english dub, no matter how long it takes for it to air/stream, and/or be released to DVD, since I have a policy of watching ALL anime english dubbed ONLY, which I never break, and never shall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7