• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Locke the Superman Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
Discotek also included the terrible English dub of Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy for their DVD release of that film. It's no surprise that they're including this English dub.

Seriously, who made Locke's English dub, and where was it recorded...?

Actually this title looks... interesting. I'll have to look into it.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
Great news, been wanting to see this for quite a while, I had planned to watch it through *ahem* other means, but now I'll buy Discotek's release when it comes out.
Bamble

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

A Hong Kong-based company called Omni Productions. They also dubbed Leda, Macross DYRL, Technopolice and the three 80s Japanese Transformers series, to name but some of their anime dubs. They were obviously the go to dubbing house for several Japanese studios in the 1980s and 1990s, most notably Toho, who also used them for many of the 1984 and beyond Godzilla movies.

They had many bizarre idosyncracies, such as mispronouncing simple words - for Locke, the epitome of this is how all the actors say "esper".

Still, it's great that Discotek are including old dubs like this - if it exists, why shouldn't they?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

A Hong Kong-based company called Omni Productions. They also dubbed Leda, Macross DYRL, Technopolice and the three 80s Japanese Transformers series, to name but some of their anime dubs. They were obviously the go to dubbing house for several Japanese studios in the 1980s and 1990s, most notably Toho, who also used them for many of the 1984 and beyond Godzilla movies.

They had many bizarre idosyncracies, such as mispronouncing simple words - for Locke, the epitome of this is how all the actors say "esper".

Still, it's great that Discotek are including old dubs like this - if it exists, why shouldn't they?

Because all of that dataspace would be better used on video if we're talking DVDs, yes, even dual-layer 9GB DVDs. If we're talking BD, then sure, include it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
It can only be a stereo track at best right? I doubt it's using that much space.

Awesome old title, so much nostalgia for this one, always enjoyed this movie as one of my early VHS pick ups (I'd love for them to release the other OVAs on DVD if this sells just well enough) and Locke himself was damned cool in both character design and his badass powers, can't wait to be able to own this in better video quality and in a format I'll be able to revisit it on, totally agree with Bamble glad to have the old cheap dub preserved in addition to being able to finally see it for the first time in Japanese with subs since they aren't going to re-do it with a new one obviously, I appreciate the effort.

Would love to be able to upgrade my Lord Leon tapes and see the other two OVAs on DVD someday Discotek Smile

kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I'm honestly hoping it comes with that old wacky dub

I mean c'mon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsKP4v7FcGg

I'll still buy it regardless, but y'know, it would make a nice bonus.

love you lots Discotek~<3

Totally agree fun bonus glad they're including it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2