• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Halts Releases of Bakuman., Ikki Tousen Great Guardians

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
I have to agree that they are shit, but aren't Kanokon and Queen's Blade big sellers?

They must be selling well, or else we wouldn't see the OVAs/sequels getting released while a masterpiece like Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei sits on the back burner for three years. (That said, I happen to think Queen's Blade is above average exploitation and bought both Blu-ray seasons... but hey, taste is optional.)

For what it's worth, the guys who put the bonus features together for their two Godzilla releases ("Destroy All Monsters" and "Godzilla vs Megalon") have recently said that MB is simply ignoring them and refusing to pay for work that's already been done. If that's how they tend to treat their independent contractors,and they've already fired their production staff, I'm not sure how they're supposed to produce Blu-ray and DVD in the first place... besides, how many people were really buying schmitty looking Blu-ray releases of Zombie Holocaust and Grotesque to start with?

If MB goes under now, I won't feel too bad about the remaining staffers; they ran the company to where it is today themselves, and if they fold now they have no one to blame but themselves... of course this could all be a brief hiatus and John Sirabella and pals will scurry out from under this without a major hitch. Who knows. That guy's squirmed out of worse situations than James Bond.
vega427

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
And with that, MB is pretty much dead, short of the actual announcment........
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Super Ninja wrote:
Quote:
Besides, Justin Sevakis likes it.

His taste is freaking terrible. So I guess that's one mark against this show that Bitter Old Man Sevakis likes it.

I don't see how this could have been a failure though considering they went back and dubbed it. That means it's popular. Opinions on forums are kind of meaningless.

I'm sure Media Blasters will be back. I don't see them going out of business even after the staff cut.

Hope you're right about that; although like dragonrider cody said, it isn't out of their style to delay releases, even with the job losses. MB isn't dead, but they aren't exactly thriving either. Still, if John Sirabella has really "gotten out of scrapes worse than James Bond", then we'll have to see what happens. Right now, the end of Media Blasters is the last option I want to consider.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
It was annoying enough when Viz Media released one box set of Monster and because of low sales never released the other box sets but now it looks like the same issues is happening with Bakuman after only one release I really hope they release the remaining sets!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I would be very sad if MB halted operations altogether. They are still, and always will be, my favorite North American licensor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5