• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best blending of 2D and 3D graphics.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
Which anime do you think had the best blending of 2D and 3D graphics? With technology improving, more and more anime are using computer aided graphics and set pieces in their shows (some consisting of only CGI graphics at this point), but some 3D graphics blend in better with 2D interactions than others can. This isn't necessarily asking which series has the best 3D graphics, but which ones blend best with the 2D.

So far, I'm going to say that Oban Star Racers has had the best blending of 2D and 3D I've seen so far. At first, I did not realize that the ships were computer generated, wheras with Last Exile, I noticed it immediatly in some cases, and when I notice these sort of things, it throws me out of the experince. I did notice in Oban that in some scenes, the pilots were CGI and not animated when viewed from afar on their ship, which looked a little odd to me, but not terrible. According to the extras on the Alwas Cycle disc, some of the building were also supposed to be 3D, but I didn't notice it at all. The series has a nice consistant look that made me second guess if some things were or were not 2D or 3D, so far its probably the best blending that I've seen personally, in part because the colors and shapes between 2D and 3D also blend well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm no expert on the technical side of animation. However, I do think that Appleseed managed to meld the 2D and 3D graphics better than most people claim. That's just my opinion.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, I'm no expert on the technical side of animation. However, I do think that Appleseed managed to meld the 2D and 3D graphics better than most people claim. That's just my opinion.

Appleseed doesn't count because the entire thing was CGed, even though they tried to shade the models as if they were cel animated - that rather peculiar (perhaps lack of funds induced) decision thoroughly ruined some extraordinary background work, IMO. But then again, that whole movie was really oddly put together.

Anyway, best melding of cel and computer animation that I've seen would have to be, hands down, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The mark of good CG-in-traditional-animation is that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, and for all of the CG in SAC, it integrates itself extremely well into the rest of the show. Cars, mecha, computer screens, lighting - it's all so smooth that you barely even register it as CG put together with cel animation. It's just one awesome looking whole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
I would say Noein. Using CGI, it creates some of the most atmospheric, exciting action scenes I have ever seen, because CGI makes "camera" moves possible which would otherwise cost a lot of money.
And while I'm not sure of it, I think Seirei no Moribito also uses a lot of CGI. However, it blends so well I don't really know Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:08 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Appleseed doesn't count because the entire thing was CGed, even though they tried to shade the models as if they were cel animated - that rather peculiar (perhaps lack of funds induced) decision thoroughly ruined some extraordinary background work, IMO. But then again, that whole movie was really oddly put together.

Ooops, my mistake. I still liked the look of it though.
MPD51

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
I would say Noein. Using CGI, it creates some of the most atmospheric, exciting action scenes I have ever seen, because CGI makes "camera" moves possible which would otherwise cost a lot of money.
And while I'm not sure of it, I think Seirei no Moribito also uses a lot of CGI. However, it blends so well I don't really know Smile

Definitely agree on Noein. Those dimensional gates were intense!

Samurai 7 did a good job, I believe.
The ship battles in Glass Fleet were pretty well done, too.

Karas takes it all, though. Number one, hands down.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Outside of Futurama (which simply cannot be touched in this regard)?

One Piece. They use it sparingly, mostly just to render the Going Merry/Thousand Sunny, but it looks perfect when they do.

Dennou Coil also used CG in a fairly clean manner.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
You know, as far as we've come, I still think that the computer graphics used in Macross Plus are hard to top. They seemed more of an artistic flourish to elevate the Sharon Apple scenes, to make them stand out even more, rather than just another tool in the animator's arsenal.
Sakurakamina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I agree on GITS, but the two feature films by Mamoru Oshii primarily. Some of the most realistic visuals that I've ever seen in a 2D/3D blending, and some of Production I.G.'s best ever.
Eeagle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, I were to say that the best blend for me would be from the anime movie Karas which demonstrated beautiful animated scenes with the characters themselves being in 3D.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm going to go ahead and mention Black Lagoon as being an excellent blend of the two. I also thought Kanon (2006) looked exceptional as well. Both of these looked very smooth to me and didn't have any obvious CGI or jarring transitions.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
Sakurakamina wrote:
I agree on GITS, but the two feature films by Mamoru Oshii primarily. Some of the most realistic visuals that I've ever seen in a 2D/3D blending, and some of Production I.G.'s best ever.

One could criticise the stark contrast between the 2D and 3D visuals in the second film, but that's something I myself commend Oshii for doing. There wasn't much of an attempt to blend the two visual styles, but as a film so visually intricate I couldn't help but judge such to be fully intentional.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:16 am Reply with quote
I will say Freedom has the best blend between the two. I find the line between 2D and 3D a fine one in the series. Part of the trick is that the CG isn't overly detailed and the 2D elements are very fluidly animated creating a nice blend.

While there are many other series which have amazing 2D and 3D animation like Noein, I will say that the two styles are distinct and the line between the 2D and 3D animation is noticeable.
seowG89

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
HI!!!
since you guys are saying about 2d and 3d animation, what is your way/s of yours of blending 2d Character and 3D Background together?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
I agree with Ghost in the Shell and Noein. Both of these series did a great job at blending 2d and 3d. I was blown away when I saw how well done they were. Allot of times this type of thing just falls flat, but sometimes it can be used well and really improve the anime.

I'd say that most anything by Production I.G will have some pretty good blending. Even IGPX did an ok job when it came to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3