• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saikano ending SPOILER!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:50 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
Abunai,M.B.K.,I guess you two are into the earth being destroyed,huh?

All right. I've got into the instability Very Happy
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I'm an eschaton fan. Gotta admit it, it's true.

It's not easy being an end-of-the-world enthusiast. Every day, I get up, and I look at the weather report. It's always the same old dreary "cloudy with a chance of showers" or "sunny with a fresh Westerly breeze". Never anything fun and exciting like "rain of frogs" or "shower of fire from Heaven". Sad Shucks!

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
M.B.K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:19 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Yup, I'm an eschaton fan. Gotta admit it, it's true.

It's not easy being an end-of-the-world enthusiast. Every day, I get up, and I look at the weather report. It's always the same old dreary "cloudy with a chance of showers" or "sunny with a fresh Westerly breeze". Never anything fun and exciting like "rain of frogs" or "shower of fire from Heaven". Sad Shucks!

- abunai

Very well. What is concerning me, terrorism is bothering with me. However it is near to our region Rolling Eyes
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:02 am Reply with quote
Hum...So I see you're from Россиа, eh? Exactly from Волгоград? Hum...I'm forgeting what I learned there Anime hyper

Well, I was on the metro station where the bomb thing happen...Thankfully, not at that moment Anime smile. I felt safe there, I don't know, it doesn't look as a dangerous country.

Going back to what I asked...
Abunai wrote:
"Can you name an anime that contains emotionally moving elements, and which also manages to be useful as a teaching tool - for instance, in history?"

Any idea? I saw a short video of Now and Then, Here and There, and I was expecting more...Anime hyper
M.B.K.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:57 am Reply with quote
Sarki-Kun wrote:
[color=darkblue]Hum...So I see you're from Россиа, eh? Exactly from Волгоград? Hum...I'm forgeting what I learned there Anime hyper

Yes. "Россия". Volgograd (Волгоград) assumed the name Stalingrad (Сталинград) earlier Cool A discussion about renaming Volgograd into Stalingrad are still in progress Rolling Eyes

Sarki-Kun wrote:
[color=darkblue]Well, I was on the metro station where the bomb thing happen...Thankfully, not at that moment . I felt safe there, I don't know, it doesn't look as a dangerous country.

I'm glad for Yours sake. As to me, i'm bored to death with policy Rolling Eyes Much better to watch Anime Very Happy
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I thought I'd take this conversation back to the original topic for a sec.... I still had a few questions.

At the end, when Chise and .... lord, I forgot the guy's name, anyways, when spoiler[they get it on, at the end], I felt that was still real. I thought the beginning of the first episode was located, time wise, at the beginning of the last episode, and then the whole story moves forward from there. So, when he's walking up the hill in the snow in the first ep., that that was spoiler[all still real]. And when spoiler[they're making love, that that is also real (although she's a complete robot by then). ]And that it is only at the very end, spoiler[after he climbs on board, when you have all the disjointed images, that that was when Chise "took control" and was creating a world of telepathic illusions for him].

Perhaps that's being nitpicky, but I felt like that's an important difference from everything being spoiler[an illusion at the end, even them making love.] Can someone clear that up for me?

Also, what are people's opinions about Chise's ability to control herself? I thought, for much of the show, that the story was heading to spoiler[a sort of mercy killing of her, so she could stop herself from killing more]. This is where the show was at around the 10th ep. or so, when spoiler[she's slowly dying, and she's taking the pills. Then she gets taken away by the military/ not killed by the main guy.]

Philosophically, I have always been, personally, very divided about how I felt about the end of the show. Someone mentioned before that they felt that the show was about the desire to stay alive, no matter what, and how precious life is. Which is true. But I also felt, very strongly, that the two main leads were sort of being selfish, and that sometimes the needs of the many might outweigh the needs of the one. I kept on hoping that they might recognize that, and that Chise would prefer spoiler[to die human, than to continue living as a killing machine. I know this is really almost a conversation about euthenasia (spelling?), but ]it just seems so incredibly critical to understanding how I feel about the ending. I have to say, that while I felt emotionally drained by the ending, and how tough it was to take (and how well done it was), I was also partly really aggrivated, because I disagreed so strongly with what their final decisions seemed to be. I guess I felt like spoiler[the destruction of the planet was avoidable, and that their decisions (based on a love for each other) helped lead to earth's destruction.]

Part of me says, "Good for them. They get their love."
And part of me says, "Selfish buggers. Grow up. Don't you understand the consequences of your actions? Learn to love the rest of humanity a bit more, and stop thinking just about yourself."

Any thoughts on this?
Sarki-Kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Hum...Well, let's see if I can help...

First of all, the boy was called Shuji. The beginning of the story, when spoiler[he's walking up that hill...I never thought about being a "forward". The town looks a really quiet and peaceful place...And Chise's behaviour is the same as the first chapters (when Shuji still haven't realized at all the weapon thing). I believe it's all real until the latest chapters...When Chise is almost dead, and she appears as a complety robot.]

The question of Saikano's philosofy...Well, spoiler[I think that the author wanted to make a critic of how we usually just thing by ourselves. But, as humans, we're always taking decisions which can change something of our lives. And we must take that decisions, no matter what. It's always better to try, than just keeping there without doing nothing. Some of that decisions may be correct, but if we did something bad, it's probably because we saw something good of it. And, since we took an option, instead of just ignoring it, since we can do what we want with our lives, we're never wrong about taking decisions]

Anyways, I should read again the manga for giving my opinion, but, if you want, I can look for some things that Shin Takahashi wrote at the last volume, explaining most questions that you're asking...
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I avoided this thread when it first came around because I hadn't seen the final volume yet. Now that it's (finally!) out on DVD, and I have seen it, I feel I can comment.

First, concerning the comments about Saikano being an antiwar piece: I thought it was very interesting to note that the Producer and Subtitles Scripter for the English dub both had the surname "Makepeace." While it's certainly possible that's a real surname, I thought it was an awfully big coincidence.

Concerning the intent of Saikano: The last DVD contains an interview with Shin Takahashi, the creator, where he states that Saikano was entirely intended as a love story built on the premise of [slight paraphrase] "how horrible it would be for a boy to realize that his girlfriend had become an ultimate weapon." He made no mention of an antiwar message being intended, so that could have come about just by happenstance.

I thought it was also interesting to note that both the director and producer, in interviews included in the last DVD volume, commented that they put particular effort into episode 9, where spoiler[Akemi dies.] It really showed.

Concerning linking the beginning and ending: spoiler[he story catches up to the scene at the very beginning about 13 minutes into episode 12. It then progresses forward from there. It was quite clear to me that Chise was still in physical form when they made love, since much to-do is made about them having that one opportunity before the end. And I saw no indication at the end of the animation of Chise becoming a spaceship and carrying him off, although they did seem to be existing inside an illusion that masked the bleakness of the destroyed world.]

I have found the theories posted in this war about who was involved in the war, and why, and Chise's nature, to be very interesting. If taken as true, they put a significantly different spin on things. However, those who complained about the actions of the central characters seeming selfish at the end are missing the point. This is a story about two characters remaining in love even as the world (literally) falls apart around them. The subtitle of "The Last Little Love Song on the Planet" is meant literally, although that doesn't come through clearly until the end.

All-in-all, Saikano is one of the best-written anime series I've seen to date, and certainly one of the greatest of anime love stories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:11 am Reply with quote
One might argue that the war should've logically ended by the time Chise conducted her first "pre-emptive" strike against an enemy city - while humans are often arrogant, greedy and generally selfish, we usually recognize a hopeless situation when we see one (Japan's surrender in WW II for instance).

Of course, desperation can outweight logical reasoning. spoiler[From what I gathered, the war had been going on for a very long time, possibly before the youngsters were even born. Given the devastation caused by mundane weaponry, and the forces invovled (Japan with possible Allies against what appears to be Western forces - at least the pilot in the downed aircraft speaks English), it's possible that both sides have allready destroyed most of the World (read civilization) during the course of the conflict.]

spoiler[Chise, intended to end the war (or so I assume - I do not think the intentions were to cause the extinction of mankind), came about far too late to make a difference. With nothing to go back to the Western forces choose to fight on instead of asking for quarter. I found the entire war surreal though, it never came across as the real thing for some reason. Perhaps it was the lull that everyone experienced despite their nation being invovled in a total war where both sides had long since abandoned international agreements on how conflicts should be handled. The war served as little more than an excuse for Chise's existence, even with the way the series ultimately ended. Given how the first episode played out, it was obvious how the series would eventually end. Akemi's death in the earthquake was more of a surprise, and far sadder than the ending (having seen the World go under in untold animes, I no longer sympathize with mankind - some moderation here wouldn't hurt. As Stalin said, kill one man and you're a murderer, kill one million and it's statistics).]

spoiler[As for Shuji's and Chise's actions, well, Saikano is basically a love story (as several posters have pointed out) and is played out as such. I do think that the ending would've been sadder and more real if Shuji had killed Chise though - whether for the sake of humanity or our of love. Chise's slightly naive love is portrayed well though; had it been me, I certainly wouldn't have saved my loved one in the same situation - a life without civilization, mankind and filled with sad memories isn't something I'd wish upon anyone, yet alone someone I cared for. ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4