• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guess LE Madoka wasn't so limited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The dumbest thing is that if I wanted it, I could find the dub/sub version as well. They're insane, they're just insane...
Dumber than people like you making lame excuses?

Quote:
1 I love Dub/Sub DVD releases
2 Aren't they trying to stop this sort of thing?
3 I hate fansubs
4 I have all the other Dubbed Shaft releases on BD and DVD
5 I wanted to get it but on more reasonable terms.

1) Then buy it.
2) Stop fansubs? They can't stop fansubs. They can, however, attempt to provide a product that fansubbers cannot, and that's what AoA's doing (a physical release, collector goodies, a dub, etc.).
3) Then why do you plan to keep a copy of the show in fansub format?
4) All the more reason to buy Madoka.
5) A more "reasonable" release might happen in the future. Wait for it if you want; you may be waiting forever, though.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I would have bought and indeed will buy Madoka if it gets a Region A/1 release that actually admits BDs/DVDs can hold more than a hour and a half of product as opposed to the region A/2 release it has now. So I'm not catered to at all.
As I explained elsewhere, the RE is more on par with the old R1 singles prices. It's nowhere near R2 prices.
Quote:
I feel so left out. I guess I'm stuck with my Pirated fansub version which is stupid because[...]Aren't they trying to stop this sort of thing?
Aniplex USA isn't going after the niggards sated by a fansub. Their business model for this release is to go after the folks who really, really want to own the physical disc and their pricing reflects that. With how hot it is in Japan, they really wouldn't be allowed to do much else anyway - the prices have to be high enough to curb reverse-importation(hence why RightStuf isn't allowed to ship it to Japan - the extra cost of getting it mailed internationally twice kills any savings).
Quote:
I wanted to get it but on more reasonable terms.
Aniplex USA decided catering to a lower price segment wouldn't bring in maximum revenue(and remember that the odds of them being allowed to offer a $60 series release any time soon are almost nil).
Quote:
The dumbest thing is that if I wanted it, I could find the dub/sub version as well. They're insane, they're just insane...
If you're content with a dual-audio torrent, they're content not selling to you. There are still plenty of people willing to pay the price and I wouldn't be surprised if volume one's already sold well enough to recover its production cost and a third of the minimum guarantee.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
I would have bought and indeed will buy Madoka if it gets a Region A/1 release that actually admits BDs/DVDs can hold more than a hour and a half of product as opposed to the region A/2 release it has now. So I'm not catered to at all.
As I explained elsewhere, the RE is more on par with the old R1 singles prices. It's nowhere near R2 prices.
Well, not to validate his complaints, because it's a silly excuse that just proves he really doesn't want to buy the show all that badly, but he's talking about the fact that the discs have so few episodes on them when they technically could hold more content, not specifically the high price point itself (though they're related in this case I suppose).
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Well, not to validate his complaints, because it's a silly excuse that just proves he really doesn't want to buy the show all that badly, but he's talking about the fact that the discs have so few episodes on them when they technically could hold more content, not specifically the high price point itself (though they're related in this case I suppose).
I just checked and the volume 1 DVD clocks in at 7.5 GB with the current content, which is about one episode of unused space; the BD clocks in at 34.6 GB, which is two episodes' worth of space. So yes, the BD release could've been done in just two discs, but it's still SOP for a BD release to simply be an HD version of the DVD(which would take three no matter how you sliced it).
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I just checked and the volume 1 DVD clocks in at 7.5 GB with the current content, which is about one episode of unused space; the BD clocks in at 34.6 GB, which is two episodes' worth of space. So yes, the BD release could've been done in just two discs, but it's still SOP for a BD release to simply be an HD version of the DVD(which would take three no matter how you sliced it).
Depends on source material, how you compress/encode, etc. Example. The amount of bytes used on the product in your hand is not necessarily a good figure to judge by, because encoding software can be parametrized to target specific maximum file sizes and not all video is encoded equal.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
You've forgotten that different sources also compress differently. Spice & Wolf almost never gets very actiony and so the vast majority of its scene can use a low bitrate without a noticeable drop in visual quality(this is assuming that they stuffed all twelve episodes onto one disc). Madoka's stuffed with scenes that can very easily get bit starved. By way of comparison, my box set of Chrono Crusade has six episodes a disc.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
You've forgotten that different sources also compress differently.

Uh, nope?

Veers wrote:
Depends on source material, how you compress/encode, etc.

Polycell wrote:
Spice & Wolf almost never gets very actiony and so the vast majority of its scene can use a low bitrate without a noticeable drop in visual quality(this is assuming that they stuffed all twelve episodes onto one disc).

Which is exactly why I brought it up as an example.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I'm mildly annoyed by the 'limited-bit-not-really' thing we seem to have here... but only just so.

My logic was this: Aniplex titles don't go on sale. That preorder $75 discounted price? That's pretty much the best I'm gonna do buying it new. So, it's not like I saved any money buying it when I did... and I bought it when I had the cash on hand, as opposed to breaking my budget for it. So, all I really lose is bragging rights. That's not so bad. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
That is the only circumstance under which I'd be pissed if this puppy doesn't sell out. If there's still copies floating around and TRSI decides it's going to lower the price of the LEs to get rid of them, I will not be impressed.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

That is the only circumstance under which I'd be pissed if this puppy doesn't sell out. If there's still copies floating around and TRSI decides it's going to lower the price of the LEs to get rid of them, I will not be impressed.

What alternative would they have available to them? It would be unreasonable to hold the inventory forever obviously.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
What alternative would they have available to them? It would be unreasonable to hold the inventory forever obviously.

It seems pretty apparent to me that he's not criticizing them for dropping the price to clear leftover stock but rather, for producing so much excess stock that it necessitates doing so.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't expect to see them drop the price any time soon though. I mean, if I had a premium product like that, I'd hang on to it a bit longer at the price point that was set in the hopes that people waiting for a price drop would figure it's not happening and open up their wallets. Discounting it too soon just sets a bad precedence.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Quote:

Actually, what I meant was that I would not be impressed with my decision to pay more than I needed to. Obviously, I don't blame TRSI for doing whatever they need to do to clear inventory. I wouldn't even particularly blame Aniplex for over-estimating demand. I guess maybe a better way to have put it would have been to say, "...and TRSI decides it's going to lower the price of the LEs to get rid of them, that would suck for me."
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
It happens, though. Think of all those Honneamise Patlabor movie LEs, individually numbered and everything, sitting around for ever and finally going for a song. Sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
For sure. It's the eternal quandary. Do I buy now and ensure ownership or do I take a risk and wait and get the same item for a better price? For Madoka it seemed, at the time, to be a better bet to move quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3