Paru Itagaki's BEASTARS Wins 11th Manga Taisho Awards
posted on 2018-03-22 06:39 EDT by Egan Loo and Crystalyn Hodgkins
The executive committee for the 11th Manga Taisho awards announced during the awards ceremony on Thursday that Paru Itagaki's BEASTARS won this year's award.
Itagaki launched the manga in Akita Shoten's Weekly Shōnen Champion magazine in September 2016, and Akita Shoten published the seventh compiled volume on February 8. This is the first time a work published by Akita Shoten has won the award.
The manga takes place in a world of carnivores and herbivores, where there is a lot of hope, love, and anxiety. Regoshi is a wolf who is a member of Cherryton Academy's drama club, and even though he's a wolf, he's very sensitive. The manga follows the adolescent life of Regoshi and many other animals.
Previous winners of the Manga Taisho award include:
- 2017 - Hibiki: Shōsetsuka ni Naru Hōhō by Mitsuharu Yanamoto
- 2016 - Golden Kamuy by Satoru Noda
- 2015 - Kakukaku Shikajika by Akiko Higashimura
- 2014 - A Bride's Story by Kaoru Mori
- 2013 - Umimachi Diary by Akimi Yoshida
- 2012 - Silver Spoon by Hiromu Arakawa
- 2011 - March comes in like a lion by Chika Umino
- 2010 - Thermae Romae by Mari Yamazaki
- 2009 - Chihayafuru by Yuki Suetsugu
- 2008 - Gaku - Minna no Yama by Shinichi Ishizuka
Unlike many other manga prizes which are chosen by the editors of the manga publishers themselves, the Manga Taisho nominating committee is mostly composed of the bookstore staffers who are in charge of their respective stores' manga sections. (The official English name of the awards is the "Cartoon Grand Prize.") The awards are also limited to works published last year with eight or fewer volumes to promote relatively newer works. The committee nominated 12 works this year.
Manga Taisho 2018 Final Results
Nagi no Oitoma (Nagi's Long Vacation)
Runway de Waratte (Smile at the Runway)
Eizōken ni wa Te o Dasu na!
Source: Mainichi Shimbun's Mantan Web