• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira (movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Like some others, I loved Akira and didn't really get into GitS. I guess that's just the way it goes.

Akira's ending was hard to fully understand, but the movie itself was still very well done graphically and the story really pulled me in. I even found myself caring about the characters. This was a big part of the reason why I wanted to know more than the ending gave me. I understand that the manga goes into more of the aftermath though, so maybe I'll get around to collecting it some day.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
... I remember commenting on the ending somewhere... *revised from here I think* anyway, I posted this thingy:

Actually, AKIRA was really just a simple movie in the end

The message was more focused on the two leads and their friendship... which I liked, since it was entertaining getting there

The ultimate failure of the thing though is if you're looking for a better explanation of AKIRA and his powers and the universe and crap...

Otomo didn't really get to that since the manga wasn't really done yet

-------------------------

... yup, I need to read the manga... but anyway, it was a real entertaining movie with what it DOES do, I was satisfied with it
Assassin_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Like some others, I loved Akira and didn't really get into GitS. I guess that's just the way it goes.

Akira's ending was hard to fully understand, but the movie itself was still very well done graphically and the story really pulled me in. I even found myself caring about the characters.

Yeah I no EXACTLY what you mean daxomni
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Assassin_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think if everything HAD been better explained, I don't think I wood have liked it as much
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ace1988_3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
I have a question for all of you guys out there, is akira truely the best anime movie out there or is there somthing beter out there in the world of anime? Give me youre input on that subject. Very Happy

( Sorry I S@@K At Spelling Sad )
Wolf X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that it is the best anime movie there is but I think it gets alot of attention because it was one of the first animes to try to convey a difficult concept. I might be wrong about this but Akria really set the stage for more advanced anime like EVA or other more deep movies like Spirited Away and other great titles.
herzog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Akira was popular for a lot of reasons. First look at the quality of the animation compared to a lot of what is out there. I think it surpasses most what is around now. Secondly when it came out most people had only seen disney or looney tunes so something like this blew them away. Really what was the most violent or deep storyline either of those groups came up with? Bambi's mother getting shot? Bugs trying to find his way to some tropical vacation? As to whether or not it is the best that would be a personal preference thing. It's the same as saying Citizen Kane is the best movie ever. Memorable for sure. The best?
theoriginalbilis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:27 pm Reply with quote
It's highly regarded by many because it was the first "mature" anime to make it to the States. At the time, even with shows like Robotech and Battle of the Planets, it was something different and "for the grown-ups."

Therefore it has a place in US anime history just for it being credited with starting the anime popularity up in America back in the late 80s - early 90s.

Personally, I like Akira. I don't think it's the best anime ever or anything, but I do think the animation is absolutely amazing and any fan of animation should at least watch it for it's imagery. It's a fun way to kill 2 hours. Just don't expect to understand the ending that well. Oh well, there's always the manga...
Thanatos01s2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
No, I hate Akira, I saw it and I don't care to ever see it again.

Boring, lame story, and ugh...don't believe the hype.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
While Akira is a great movie, whether or not it's the best anime movie is a matter of opinion. When it comes to this question most people will either say it's Akira, Ghost In The Shell, or Vampire Hunter D (at least from my experience). Anyway, at the time Akira did a lot not only for anime but for animation. Like herzog said, people saw (and still do) animation as something for children and nothing more. Not only that, but look at the adult animation that was out at the time (Heavy Metal comes to mind, which I thought was horrible). Akira was well animated, had it's own style, hardly juvinile, and a complex story. It's been a while since I've seen it but I had to watch it a couple of times to get what was going on. Akira brought something that was relativley unknown into a bit of a limelight. It showed a lot of people what animation could be if taken seriously. And also where would anime be without "TETSUO!!!"? Anyway, you can't deny that Akira is a landmark film in both anime and animation, but whether or not it's the best film is ultimatley a matter of opinion.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanatos01s2 wrote:

I second that. The story wasn't all that "deep" as the hype said it would be. Plus, I'd prefer that all male characters look like females than have all female characters look like males. Those were some of the biggest shoulders I've ever seen on a female. ^^
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Thanatos01s2 wrote:

I second that. The story wasn't all that "deep" as the hype said it would be. Plus, I'd prefer that all male characters look like females than have all female characters look like males. Those were some of the biggest shoulders I've ever seen on a female. ^^

I kind of agree with you guys to some extent. Most of it I really didn't like but some of it had depth so I didn't completely blow it off as horrible. I don't think it's the best anime movie to come out either. Personally, Princess Mononoke is my favorite anime movie.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it was the best, but it was still very good. The animation is top notch, and the story is pretty deep, though it does lack some of the depth of Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa. It's not without some minor flaws, but it's one of the better anime movies.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I have heard this a lot and I would like to take the chance to ask it now, what exactly do you refer to when speak of animation quality and why on earth would it be of much relevace to a movie's or show's rating?

Now I have an idea of the concept (fluidity, not many stills or reused footage, etc) but to me it seems like such a minor issue I barely even notice it and don't at all consider it relevant to the quality any more than I would minor improovements in live action cinematography. It anything the overal visual palette and the sights created are of far more relevance than their literal animation. For me a good anime, is one that has a good story and characters. End of story.

Akira may have some nice graphical sequences, but the story and characters are really nothing to write home about. I have to say I feel the same about both GITS movies as well, despite all the hype they got. Even when it comes to visuals, these come horribly short of stuff like End of Eva or the various works of Satoshi Kon and Makoto Shinkai.
Luminal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
The best? No way.

When I started watching the movie, I saw the scene where they fight the spoiler[clowns. ] and I thought it was amazing. But then the little kid somehow spoiler[get's some energy thing stuck inside his head] and the rest of the movie is just him grunting and grunting because apparently his head hurts. About an hour and a half of him grunting and grunting.

At least that's what I remember.

Luminal
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6