• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Hikaru Hitachiin, Ouran High School Host Club

Who he is: One of the infamous Hitachiin twins, Hikaru leads a very insular life. The twins have long maintained an "us" vs "them" view of life and, while joining the Host Club has led them to interact more with others and even develop outside friendships, they still are seen more as a unit, both by others and by themselves.

How he improves: As the series progresses, the differences between Hikaru and Karou become increasingly evident, especially as they meet the one person who can consistently tell them apart, Haruhi. Hikaru especially comes to care for Haruhi, even pursuing her romantically. While he and Karou are still quite close, they are beginning to pursue separate lives, at least to an extent, and become much more independent.

Picture

While I have no problem with Hikaru being nominated, I'd like to point out that a good part of the mentioned improvements you posted don't occur until later in the manga and the anime never covers them. With what the anime covers, the twins do come to learn that Haruhi values them as individuals instead of a duo thus establishing the friendship with the three. Hikaru gets noticeable development in a later episode of the series to break out of his aloof and anti-social personality during their summer vacation when spoiler[Hikaru gets set up on his date with Haruhi to learn how to better socialize with others following his jealous fit with Haruhi's childhood friend, Arai.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

While I have no problem with Hikaru being nominated, I'd like to point out that a good part of the mentioned improvements you posted don't occur until later in the manga and the anime never covers them.

I disagree. While I have read the manga, I am much more familiar with the anime and was thinking of it entirely when I wrote up his entry. The developments are, I'm sure, greater in the manga since it goes past the point where the anime ends but everything I mentioned is 100% in both.

Also, after consideration I have decided that I will vote for Aido Hanabusa from Vampire Knight.
4750G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Voting For
Chi, Chobits
Renji Abari, Bleach
Sawako Kuronuma, Kimi ni Todoke
Tomoya Okazaki, Clannad
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ok, time to throw out more support votes, for stuff I saw between pages 8 and 11 (for my records, just to help me be less confused)

Supporting
Siddhartha, Buddha
Ken Ichijouji, Digimon 02
Suzu, 12 Kingdoms (def better than Yuka if a third person from the series gets in)
Hiei, Yu Yu Hakusho
Julian Mintz, Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Masanosuke Akitsu, House of Five Leaves
Yuji Kaido, Blue Gender
Marlene Angel, Blue Gender

Man, I feel like I'm unusually bad at coming up with nominations for this tourney. It's only when I see other names that I go "of course! what an obvious choice!" but I can't seem to come up with many myself, lol
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw out some additional votes for.

Voting for:
Mashiro von Windbloom, My-Otome
Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
Ringo Oginome, Mawaru Penguindrum
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:

Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM!

Who He Is: Ryouta is an elite player in the online game Btooom!, which eschews guns and knives and only uses explosive weapons such as bombs and grenades. His impressive skills and confident attitude make him highly respected by his team-mates and a female player called Himiko. In real life however he is an unsociable 22-year-old NEET who refuses to leave home and get a job, and has a terrible relationship with his mother and step-father. He is kidnapped along with other players (including Himiko) and put on an island to participate in a real-life game of Btooom!. The players must kill one another in order to leave, and Ryouta will be sorely tested on what sort of person he truly is.

How He Improves: Initially Ryouta starts off as a horrible person notable for his emotional immaturity, bad temper and complete laziness. He cares more about his game than his own family, whom he treats like crap. However, after being placed on the island and being part of the real-life Btooom! deathgame he is forced to grow up big time. Early on he learns the reason he was chosen to be part of the game and this shock forces him to re-evaluate his life and the way he treats people. He realises what a bad person he had been and vows to make amends to the people he had hurt. He becomes a leader of sorts to Himiko and an older man named Taira, and it is through them that he learns the virtue of empathy. He puts their needs first and promises to protect them and get them off the island, a huge turnaround from his previous selfish attitude. As a further example of his growth he realises that human life is precious, and refuses to kill except in self-defence. By the end of the season Ryouta is a vastly better human than how he started. He had cast away his whiny man-child persona, grown a spine, learned compassion, and could trust in others and have them rely on him in return.

Picture of Ryouta

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, voting for:

Daikichi Kawachi, Usagi Drop
Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z
Jun Sakurada, Rozen Maiden
Yuuko Kanoe, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Waver Velvet, Fate/Zero
Tomoya Okazaki, Clannad
Chi, Chobits
Saji Crossroad, Gundam 00

That's all for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
One more nomination from me.

Nominating:

Haruka Suzumiya, Rumbling Hearts

Who she is: Haruka is a rather plain and shy girl. She also seems to have eyes for a classmate, Takayuki. Eventually Haruka's friend Mitsuki arranges a date between the two of them, and everything appears to be going well between the two. However, one day while waiting for Takayuki, Haruka is involved in a serious accident and falls into a coma for almost three years.

How she improves: Despite the fact that she initially seems to be a very stock character, and in spite of the fact that she spends a fair amount of time in a coma, Haruka's character grows tremendously during the course of the show. Once she realizes what has happened to her, including the realization that three years have passed, Haruka is able to summon the strength to make some very difficult decisions. Despite the temptation to renew a relationship with Takayuki, she realizes that it is best to cut her ties with him in an attempt to make a new life for herself. And even though Haruka bears scars both emotional and physical as a result of the accident, she is eventually able to realize her dream of authoring a childrens' book, which is really an allegoric tale of Haruka and her school friends.

Picture: http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/16/54269.jpg
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Voting For:
Shizuku (Whisper of the Heart)
Suzu (Twelve Kingdoms): I am in the same boat as Key--Yuka is a decent option, but Suzu is way better. Very Happy Just a testament to the level of character development in this series overall that there are so many worthy choices for nomination. Although, I will echo what someone else said in that I found Yuka's sudden spoiler[heel-face] to be a bit rushed.
Ryuki Shi (Story of Saiunkoku)
Chi (Chobits)
Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service)
Sawako Kuronuma (Kimi ni Todoke)
Saji Crossroad (Gundam 00)

Masanosuke is another one I would support if I had seen more of the series. He seems like a good candidate from what I've seen, but I don't feel like I can fairly vote for him without having seen his whole arc.

I won't vote against him because he does technically fit the criteria, but I feel like Hikaru Hitachiin is a weak choice. Most of the development he gets happens in the manga, and I feel like he is almost as much a horrible manipulative bastard at the end of the anime as he was at the beginning. Hikaru only really gets three episodes of development ("The Twins Fight!", "Operation Haruhi and Hikaru's First Date!", and "The Door the Twins Opened!"), and I feel most of the development he gets in the anime comes from the last of those three, which is a flashback episode detailing the twins' introduction to Tamaki.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Nominating

Byakuya Kuchiki Bleach

Who he is: A shinigami, captain of the 6th division and Head of one of the 4 Grat Noble Families in Soul Society. He is captain to Renji Abarai and adoptive brother to Rukia Kuchiki. He was married to a commoner, which arose trouble due to his nobility, but she eventually passed away. He is a cold man who rarely shows his emotions, with a big sense of pride and upholds the law above anything else, for he believes that his duty as a nobleman is to set an example.

How he improves: Initially, Byakuya acts unfazed after Rukia's execution is decided and actively fights against Ichigo and his allies who try to rescue her, claiming that he will personally execute her if need be. During his fight with Ichigo, he realises he was struggling with the vow made to his parents' grave to protect the law, when in reality he wanted to protect his sister. He admits defeat by Ichigo, realizing that taking care of Rukia is more important than the law. After being seriously wounded for shielding Rukia against Aizen's attack, he explains his feelings to her and apologises for being cruel. Admitting his emotions to himself and to Rukia, she becomes a driving force for him in battle, and he comes to greatly respect and appreciate Ichigo for opening his eyes.

Picture

Vote For

Sawako Kuronuma (Kimi ni Todoke - From me to you)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Voting for:

Haruka Suzumiya, Rumbling Hearts
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Nominating:

Koshiro Saeki, Koi Kaze
Who He Is: Koshiro is a 27-year old marriage consultant who is down on his luck with love as his girlfriend recently dumped him for acting cold with her during their relationship. While on a train, Koshiro comes across a high school girl who drops her wallet while getting off it. He leaves to give the girl back her wallet and later encounters her outside his workplace. With tickets he received from a co-worker for an amusement park, Koshiro invites the girl with him to the park where the two make a connection with one another as they both are facing their own ordeals with love. As the two are about to depart for the night, Koshiro’s father arrives as Koshiro becomes shocked to learn that the high school girl is actually Nanoka Kohinata, his long-lost sister of 15 years separated from divorce.
How He Improves: Throughout Koi Kaze, Koshiro finds himself internally conflicted over knowing what it means to love another person and whether that love is acceptable, even if forbidden by society. Upon discovering Nanoka is his younger sister, Koshiro finds himself behaving awkwardly around her as he tries sorting out his feelings for her, usually being cold and aloof with her when not meaning to. As the series progresses, Koshiro finds himself having to make some difficult decisions that allow him to come to terms with the feelings that he has for Nanoka.

Supporting:
Ryouta Sakamoto (Btooom!)
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
For today's nomination I wanted to go with a villain who is redeemed, in part, by the good guys.

Nominating

Ayaka Steiger, Kurau Phantom Memory

Who the character is: Ayaka Steiger is a senior officer in the highly militarised GPO (police force) that maintains law and order in a future where the moon has been colonised. She is the leader of a para-military unit ordered to hunt down the two protagonists, the Rynasapien pair Kurau and Christmas. Her family had been gunned down at home when she was a child so she is obsessed with stamping out criminal behaviour. Add to that her ambitious nature and her ingrained loyalty to the military and you have one very capable, very scary woman. She believes that the Rynasapiens, with their extraordinary powers, are a threat to humanity and is determined to capture or kill them.

How the character improves: One of the convincing things about the redemption of Ayaka Steiger is that her conversion isn't a single road to Damascus moment. Rather it comes about from various influences upon her, along with her own investigations into the Rynax and into her own past. First, her former commander and now private agent helping the protagonists, Doug, puts the germ of the idea in her mind that the Rynax are only dangerous because they are being hunted. Second, when she meets Kurau and Christmas she realises they aren't the monsters she had wanted to believe while the extraordinarily loving relationship between them shocks her. Third, her colleague, Inspector Wong, uncovers information that the real reason the GPO is hunting the Rynax is to use them as offensive weapons. Finally, her own investigations into the death of her family reveals that the man behind their slaying is the same person within the GPO directing the Rynax campaign. She confronts the big bad at gun point but displays a degree of humanity and mercy unthinkable earlier in the series and which is far more than the big bad would ever have done himself. By the end she is keeping a motherly eye on Christmas and helping Inspector Wong in opposing corrupt elements within the GPO.

Picture

Supporting

Masakazu Masaki, Time of Eve
Ringo Oginome, Penguindrum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Vote For:
Ayaka Steiger, Kurau Phantom Memory - Can't believe I forgot about her, as she's a great fit.
Ryouta Sakamoto, BTOOOM! - Despite the series only being half-finished, there's enough established in the first half to warrant this.
Haruka Suzuimya, Rumbling Hearts - I find her a marginal choice, as her character development comes in a chunk at the beginning and a chunk at the end, but I'll still support her nomination.

Byakuya and Koshiro are both borderline choices. I won't vote for either one but won't vote against them, either.

Have to go to work shortly, so expect a front-page update in about five hours. Also, I will probably be cutting nominations off at the end of Saturday EST (if not sooner), so don't dawdle if there's still someone that you're thinking about nominating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I had to re-watch Princess Jellyfish in order to decide for sure about this nomination (a hardship, to be sure). I think it will probably be my last one but you never know.

Nominating

Tsukimi Kurashita, Princess Jellyfish

Who she is: An 18-year-old otaku who loves jellyfish and lives in an all-female apartment building with other otaku, all of whom live on allowances received from the parents. Tsukimi gets completely flustered around other people, particular anyone stylish or male, and is pretty much unable to function in society at large.

How she improves: By the end of the series, Tsukimi is still shy but is no longer crippled by her shyness in social situations. She also has found a way to use her love of jellyfish to help save her home, by first creating jellyfish dolls and then jellyfish-inspired dresses.

Picture
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 28