• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-10-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I really think the rant is complaining about nothing. I used to write fanfiction and did the same things this ranter is complaining about. Now, I still write, but they're original stories that I do tons of research for. My current novel works with Asian, Norwegian, and Celtic mythologies and weapons. To make it as accurate as possible, I've researched deeply into those, despite the fact that most of them I'm using to a very stretched limit.

I think, given time, the same will happen to all fanfiction authors if they seriously decide to pursue any kind of writing. Those who just write fanfiction because they want to, probably not so much. After all, getting into serious writing, they'll find that including culture references of any kind in the correct context makes the story much richer than simply just putting in the references with no knowledge of what is what.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Generally they try and release the films once the series has been around long enough to gain a considerable audience.

See Inuyasha for an example of Viz's release strategy regarding the films.

Also, someone else licensing the Bleach movie will not happen. Yes I suppose "anything is possible" but you'd have to throw out a lot of common sense to be "concerned" about that happening.
I mostly agree, I was just saying that they weren't going to wait until the same number of episodes had aired before releasing the movie and that they might release it early. While logically they'll do about the same thing they did with Inuyasha, it's entirely possible that they could change their strategy. Again, not really likely but possible.

Corporations are run by people who want to make money. If a different company were to offer enough money, they'd get the movie.

There does seem to be a defacto rule of NOT doing something like that, but until I see an announcement, I consider all possible events. That keeps me from being surprised and allows me to always be ready for any event.

I'm a paranoid person by nature due to some rather nasty events in my life.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:
Someone_II wrote:
I'm aware of this, I'm saying that because of the pheonetic similarities that, when spoken, it may not be interpreted as a distinctly japanese name.

"Hana" is pronounced "hah-nah".

"Hannah" is usually pronounced "haa-nuh", "haa" as in "bat".

Not from New England, I take it?

I'm from New England and I've only ever heard a nasally pronunciation of the first "a" (like the beginning of "Anderson").

While it might not be the same "a" sound as the one in "bat", I've definitely never heard "hah-nah".
Strephon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Viz would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't wait on releasing the Bleach movie. Judging from the Japanese promo site, it seems to feature characters from the second story arc (which hasn't even finished in the manga release yet); anyone who'd been watching the official US release would be confused if they released it too soon. (The best time to release it would be when the series hits the filler arc, to keep up the fans' interest. The same goes for the Naruto movie, for that matter.)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
kizoku wrote:
It's not just the Internet that's negative. "A satisfied customer tells three friends. A dissatisfied customer tells eleven." I've also heard 5 and 19, but it's still about 4 to 1. Unhappy people talk more. Then too, it's just easier to remember what annoyed you. Try it yourself.
The higher-ups at the restaurant where I work say it's 3 and 10, but either way, people are definitely more wont to spread dissatisfaction with anything.
Foreign words don't have to be for concepts that don't already exist. Cash, for instance, is Chinese. Boondocks is Tagalog and made it in even though "back in the hills" works just fine. Skosh' was all over the U.S. Army 40 years ago and is slipping into civilian English. Hear a word enough and it creeps into your language. After a while it creeps into other people's. "English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys and takes what it wants."
Yeah, English is just linguistically promiscuous; it runs all over town and takes whatever from whoever.

Regarding the rant and Wapanese issues--I've never read much anime-related fanfiction, probably because I've always feared that most of it will be, well, written by Japanese wanna-be's who take all their knowledge from anime/manga and can't even write their native language properly, let alone words from another language.
I don't entirely understand their obsession with all things Japanese--maybe it's because I started my serious fandom era when I was in my 20s, and not at impressionable ages like 15-16 like many of these fanfic authors appear to be. Sure, I'd be interested in working in Japan for a couple of years in JET or something, but I've never tried to "be" Japanese or wished I were born there. I'll take my lackadaisical, carefree high school life of working part-time, getting pretty good grades in challenging classes without much effort, and getting into the local university without hellish entrance exams over the Japanese experience any day.
animsucks.com wrote:
The vast majority of anime geeks will only watch 'fan-subbed' stuff because obviously, shit that isn't in Japanese is un-American. I'm not a Nazi, but I play one on TV when geeks pelt me with their hypocrisy. Some fag called "Sorata-kun" (You aren't allowed in the japanophile club if your name is Bob) says to me, "Oh, boo hoo, I am Christian and I follow the cross and I follow all laws, you people who download mp3s are evil, Satan is going to assrape you, blaa blah." All the while he is trading his illegally stolen, illegally fansubbed, and illegally distributed anime. Hey geekboy, which part of the Berne Convention are you not understanding?
On this note, it's rather funny that most of the website's screenshots are from fansubs like Love Hina (which I can't even find fansubbed anymore Sad ) and Mahoromatic.
Nermal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
On this note, it's rather funny that most of the website's screenshots are from fansubs like Love Hina (which I can't even find fansubbed anymore Sad ) and Mahoromatic.

ohhoho you haven't looked hard enough...I will silence myself now Anime smile + sweatdrop
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:

1) The Japanese have studied English a hell of a lot more than Americans/British/Canadians/Australians have studied Japanese. As such, English words in Japanese advertising are far more likely to be recognized than Japanese words in any of those other countries.

It's not Japanese's fault for not being so popular in the world over. It's beneficial to learn English because it's a popular language in the world of buisness and other ventures. It's not surprising after WW2, the Japanese would be affected even more by the Western world.

And the Japanese use English words because it's "cool' for the most part.

Kouji wrote:
I don't have a problem with people basing their fics in Japan or using Japanese names with their characters because it isn't the location or the language you choose to name your characters in that makes fics original. It's the originality of the story and the uniquness of the characters themselves that make a fic creative. You can have your fic located in America and use nothing but Engilsh names for your characers and it can still suck if you use a cliched plot or stereotypical characters. We could re-locate Naruto to New York, call Naruto Nicky and Sasuke Sammy, and change it so that it's about punks instead of ninjas and Naruto will still be a DBZ clone. Besides, if every English anime fanfic writer based their fics in America and used American names, then we'd be in the same boat we already are in now expect the country being used is different. So long as the location of Japan is revelant to your plot and not simply there for a cool factor and you do the proper research, I don't see the problem of basing your fics in Japan or using Japanese names for characters.

Ugh, just because Naruto is a shounen title does not equal to Dragonball. at. all. It shares more with the general guidelines of shounen manga than DB. I mean Yu Yu Hakusho, or even Angelic Layer has more in common with Dragonball than Naruto to Dragonball. Ugh, sorry hate comparisons like that.

Anyway, I think if the series took place in Japan, it should stay there. I mean most of the fanfiction where they put the characters in a different country tends to suck. On the other hand, it is beneficial to research a bit on how certain places in Japan function. I can't tell you the number of fanfictions that are set in high school in Japan that was students walking into different classes or have hallway lockers and janitor's closets (In Japan, the students usually stay in their homeroom unless it's PE, art or a lab class. They have shoe lockers, desks their they can put their stuff in [with a hook to put your bag on] and cubbies [usually in the back of the class]. Also there's usually no janitors, the students usually clean the school so it's a supply closet than anything.)

However, it's best to write a location you know if you don't feel bothered into doing a bit of research.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
Viz would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't wait on releasing the Bleach movie. Judging from the Japanese promo site, it seems to feature characters from the second story arc (which hasn't even finished in the manga release yet); anyone who'd been watching the official US release would be confused if they released it too soon. (The best time to release it would be when the series hits the filler arc, to keep up the fans' interest. The same goes for the Naruto movie, for that matter.)

This was eons ago, of course, but back when they started releasing Ranma 1/2, Viz released the OAVs and movies shortly after they started releasing the TV show. Those OAVs were packed with characters that hadn't shown up yet and, in some cases, wouldn't show up for years. Of course, that was also the first property they ever licensed, so their business practices have obviously changed a lot since then.

What I want to know, though, is if Viz is going to license the Maison Ikkoku OAVs/movies. Pretty please? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
This was eons ago, of course, but back when they started releasing Ranma 1/2, Viz released the OAVs and movies shortly after they started releasing the TV show. Those OAVs were packed with characters that hadn't shown up yet and, in some cases, wouldn't show up for years. Of course, that was also the first property they ever licensed, so their business practices have obviously changed a lot since then.

Good point, and something that had slipped my mind (the same thing happened to Urusei Yatsura as well). One thing that's changed over the years is that companies are (generally) less likely to license the smallest/cheapest chunk first and using the money from that to finance the rest of the series.

I remember seeing a fansub of one of the Ranma movies after having only seen about half the first season of the TV series. It wasn't too hard to follow, but having the shift in the series' tone dropped on me in one chunk was a bit startling (well, that and the shift in the female characters' bustlines for that movie...).
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Which is good, because if you base your opinion of anime fans (or, hell, anyone in any fandom, really) based on what they say on the internet, they come across as harsh, hateful people who live to complain about things.

LOL, and our happy little answerman certainly doesn't fall under this category. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
I remember seeing a fansub of one of the Ranma movies after having only seen about half the first season of the TV series. It wasn't too hard to follow, but having the shift in the series' tone dropped on me in one chunk was a bit startling (well, that and the shift in the female characters' bustlines for that movie...).

Ah, you must have seen the second movie. Wink

Yeah, it wasn't hard to follow at all, really, but it did make everything seem much more random as you sit there saying to yourself "Wait, did that guy just turn into a duck? Shocked " The movies and OAVs started my love for Ukyo, though, my favorite of Ranma's many suitors, and it bummed me out that I had to wait like 2 years before I got to see her in the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6