• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Poll Reveals What Fans' Top Ranking Gundam Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I can't make an opinion on CCA yet, but it has one of the best (if not the best) rivalries in gundam history. Wink

I'm surprised F91 is up there. The gundam itself is AWESOME!

Unicorn is eye candy so it doesn't surprise me, and Zeta seems like it's not afraid to screw with you. I have my issues with it.

But personally, so far, I think 0079 is the best one. Amuro who grows up, who gets arrogant and think he's the only one who can pilot the gundam, who makes mistakes, who gets sent to jail, and is a part of one the best rivalries in gundam.

I am very happy that 00 S1 is up there too!

Stardust for Kou vs Gato! I think the story was a little confusing?
Also, yummy Cima. Unfortunately, you don't understand her grudge in the OVA.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
G Gundam is the only entry in the franchise you need to watch.

It's almost like most everyone in the comments didn't bother to follow the link to the full result...

What would that have meant for G? It was in 18th place out of 24, beating out X, the two SDs, the Gunpla OVA, Age, and Stargazer. If Westerners had voted, everyone is right, Wing and G would have been greatly moved up.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:

I listed The 08th MS Team as my favorite, and I've never seen people call something garbage as quickly as it . . . except maybe SEED Destiny. Do not fear

I have never known anyone to call the 08th MS Team garbage o.O I've only ever heard it referred to as an under-watched gem...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I love 0083, but I'd have put 0080 before it. No idea why they still love Seed so much, I guess it just struck the right place for Japanese fans, but the only thing I enjoy out of it are the female captains.

On NewType magazine's fan voting, Seed and Code Geass still make the top 10 anime all the time, depends on season.

Kira and Lacus are still top 10 most popular male and female characters. Lelouch and Kira are still top 10 on the newtype poll. lol

1. Tatsuya Shiba (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei)

2. Kirito (Sword Art Online)

3. Kira Yamato (Mobile Suit Gundam SEED)

4. Jotaro Kujo (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusader)

5. Raku Ichijo (Nisekoi)

6. Koyomi Araragi (Monogatari series)

7. Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

8. Rentarou Satomi (Black Bullet)

9. Tooru Acura (Hitsugi no Chaika)

10. Hase Yuuki (One Week Friends)
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Destiny tied with Wing? Dafuq? Destiny in top 10? Dafuq?

The top 3 are not wrong.
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

X is underrated, severely.

Why? I mean, I don't really have that strong feelings about it, but it is one of the most kiddy entries in the franchise with rather average mecha designs. I like having Garrod and DX around in games, but that's about it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
We're all forgetting one thing: The fact that the Japanese love SEED is one of those weird mysteries that no one will ever be able to explain. Likewise, the fact that so many non-Japanese love 0080: War in the Pocket is also an unsolvable mystery beyond comprehension.

Its a mystery that people like it? I can't see why... More like the haters are just incredibly vocal on english websites. There are plenty of reasons to like it, and I'm sure the fans could list you as many as you have for whichever is your favorite. In fact, I will give you 3 big ones based on previous polls: Kira, Lacus, and [Strike] Freedom. Two of the most liked gundam characters and one of the most popular gundam designs ever...

You can't judge popularity based on the frequency of opinions on the internet. I constantly see posts about all the horrible things wrong with SAO on english websites, but its obviously very popular here. It likely isn't just Japan's gundam fans that like SEED, but the only metric you have for popularity elsewhere is internet comments where complaints clearly seem to cause people to care enough to actually post something as opposed to just thinking something is 'fine' or 'good'.

As for Destiny, personally I thought it was complete garbage... but gundams vs aliens, age, and yu-gi-oh gundam are making me want to rate it as an average gundam series...
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
i would have put 00 gundam near the top but thats just me

Destiny isn't so bad... if you fast forward through it everytime shin is on screen. There are definitely worse gundams out there (i absolutely hate g gundam)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:

Destiny isn't so bad... if you fast forward through it everytime shin is on screen. There are definitely worse gundams out there (i absolutely hate g gundam)

SEED is okay, DESTINY however is not lol. I'm surprised turn A didn't make the list though
BJWanlund

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
I've only seen the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Gundam Wing. Wasn't a fan of Gundam Wing back then (but then again I kinda got my Toonami fix in fits and starts at times), but I absolutely ADORED the original Mobile Suit Gundam (0079).

Gonna have to rewatch the original Gundam soon-ish here.

BJ
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3