• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, June 16-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Plenty of people don't care about whatever the hot new bee's knees is. I couldn't possibly care less about Monogatari or Gundam UC, yet they both sell in droves. Likewise, you not liking or just not giving two shits about Love Live! doesn't negate its popularity.

It can be as popular as Michael Jackson and it can still suck. The popularity of the show only says what I already know. The mainstream sheep will flock to anything that looks shiny, without a care of its quality. Those which are more popular are not better. Take Patlabor 2 for example. Patlabor 2 has been universally acclaimed by critics and anime fans alike for its political themes and realistic, dark, serious atmosphere. It was a complete failure, outside of disc sales, which weren't even all that great. Same with Big O. Its Japanese run was a flop, yet its unconventional style and story is something which should be lauded or at least be tried out. Contrast that with Howl's Moving Castle, which is merely background visuals. The pacing is bad and the characters are awful and undeveloped, yet that has made over 19 billion yen and sold over 1 million DVDs.

If popularity means something, then JK Rowling would be the best author around, as she has sold over 400 million copies worldwide, with most of that being from the US alone. While she is worth about $850 million and while her stories are good, it does take time for Harry Potter to be great. It's slow and the characters take time to grow.

In conclusion, if popularity is why people like something, then I feel for the younger generation. Popularity does not and has never led to quality. Just look at the promotions, etc for this BD. The price is lower than Disney BDs and it has an idol show, meaning that the show couldn't sell based on its own merits. Even taking popularity into consideration, Bebop sold its DVDs, Laserdiscs, BDs, VHS based on the show. That is what matters the most.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The exact same things can be said about Meduka and Shingeki according to your post. And they will!

Fans don't like Love Live just because it's popular, it's popular because they had to like it first. Being an idol series is no gateway to instant approval and disc sales, just like having some tits or pantsu in your anime is no guarantee for 10k either. If it were that simple, every show would do it and succeed. But really, the whole WAKE UP SHEEPLE angle doesn't work here, your prospective buyers are a small number of well informed nerds that know exactly what they're after. It's not a bunch of 13 year olds spending their parent's money to go see Trans4mers in 3D.

And for Red, of course LL2 will drop from 80k down to wherever it settles around 30-35k, because you don't have people buying multiple copies for better chances at tickets.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Don't you know? Only sucky shows ever become popular. It's not like people are allowed to have different opinions about what is clearly an objective fact or even look for other things in their shows. And of course nobody ever think to put in tickets to a concert for the affiliated idol group that's what the franchise is all about unless it sucked like crazy!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
We remember when movies used to offer incentives or prizes to get people into the theater seats. Pokemon did that too.
superunature

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Plenty of people don't care about whatever the hot new bee's knees is. I couldn't possibly care less about Monogatari or Gundam UC, yet they both sell in droves. Likewise, you not liking or just not giving two shits about Love Live! doesn't negate its popularity.

It can be as popular as Michael Jackson and it can still suck. The popularity of the show only says what I already know. The mainstream sheep will flock to anything that looks shiny, without a care of its quality. Those which are more popular are not better. Take Patlabor 2 for example. Patlabor 2 has been universally acclaimed by critics and anime fans alike for its political themes and realistic, dark, serious atmosphere. It was a complete failure, outside of disc sales, which weren't even all that great. Same with Big O. Its Japanese run was a flop, yet its unconventional style and story is something which should be lauded or at least be tried out. Contrast that with Howl's Moving Castle, which is merely background visuals. The pacing is bad and the characters are awful and undeveloped, yet that has made over 19 billion yen and sold over 1 million DVDs.

If popularity means something, then JK Rowling would be the best author around, as she has sold over 400 million copies worldwide, with most of that being from the US alone. While she is worth about $850 million and while her stories are good, it does take time for Harry Potter to be great. It's slow and the characters take time to grow.

In conclusion, if popularity is why people like something, then I feel for the younger generation. Popularity does not and has never led to quality. Just look at the promotions, etc for this BD. The price is lower than Disney BDs and it has an idol show, meaning that the show couldn't sell based on its own merits. Even taking popularity into consideration, Bebop sold its DVDs, Laserdiscs, BDs, VHS based on the show. That is what matters the most.

whether something is good or bad is completely subjective. There is no right answer.

does Michael Jackson's songs really sucks? I certainly don't care for it, but I bet millions of people would disagree with me. People vote with their wallet, and there is absolutely no doubt his songs are a hit.

Is JK Rowling the best author around? subjective
Is she one of the most successful authors around? yes
is Howl's Moving Castle a bad movie? subjective again,
was it successful? yes
even if you like something so much and think there is nothing that can top it. If it doesn't bring in the $$$, it's a failure.

I agree love live vol.1 has marketing gimmicks and if each person was limited to 1 copies, far less of them would have been sold.

response to this statement "It can be as popular as Michael Jackson and it can still suck."
of course, even if one single person on the planet hates it, then it can still suck, but you would be the minority here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4