• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Animation in Japan on Blu-ray Disc/DVD by Series: 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Free's Blu-Rays outsell the DVDs by a decent margin, indicating more of a male audience? Osomatsu-san had a more equal sales number between Blu-Ray and DVD and a more even audience of men and women.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
^Some people still think it's the year 2008 and that the Men=BD Women=DVD myth means anything at all. Thanks for proving my point though.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^Some people still think it's the year 2008 and that the Men=BD Women=DVD myth means anything at all. Thanks for proving my point though.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean exactly? If you are questioning Japanese women more prone to buying DVD over Blu-Ray it's a well known fact. During the same year Free came out you had women-targetted shows that released only DVD releases because even the industry knows this. Even some otaku aimed stuff will release only a Blu-Ray version. If a show gets dual releases it's usually trying to get both markets. For whatever reason women are more resistant to buying Blu-Ray. It's an industry practice that still goes on today and you can see it whenever a show like Osomatsu has huge DVD sales spike compared to it's peers which mostly sell Blu-Rays. Unless you know of a source that reveals the gender breakdown of sales which would be pretty handy.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:54 am Reply with quote
I mean exactly what I said. The notion that women only buy DVD and that only men buy BD is a long debunked myth. But you're the one who brought it up, so I'll patiently wait for you to produce veritable proof of this so-called well-known fact, and we can continue from there.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I mean exactly what I said. The notion that women only buy DVD and that only men buy BD is a long debunked myth. But you're the one who brought it up, so I'll patiently wait for you to produce veritable proof of this so-called well-known fact, and we can continue from there.

You're the first person I've seen to contest this. I mentioned some female targeted series getting only a DVD release and you only have to look at what shows pull out-of-the-ordinary strong DVD sales to notice the market trend for yourself. Super Lovers, Brothers Conflict, Diabolik Lovers. Otome adaptions and other fujoshi stuff always sells way more DVDs than Blu-Rays, while everything else pulls more Blu-Rays than DVDs. It's pretty common knowledge in the fandom, but how was it 'debunked' exactly? The sales data still suggests otherwise.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

You're the first person I've seen to contest this. I mentioned some female targeted series getting only a DVD release and you only have to look at what shows pull out-of-the-ordinary strong DVD sales to notice the market trend for yourself. Super Lovers, Brothers Conflict, Diabolik Lovers. Otome adaptions and other fujoshi stuff always sells way more DVDs than Blu-Rays, while everything else pulls more Blu-Rays than DVDs. It's pretty common knowledge in the fandom, but how was it 'debunked' exactly? The sales data still suggests otherwise.

How about just this week?

Bungo Stray Dogs had a higher estimate of DVDs than BDs, but it was split 56%/44%, not "way more" by any imagination.
Natsume's 5th season had a higher estimate of BDs than DVDs split 60%/40%.
Kuroko's event was split 52%/48% for Blu-ray. Definitely not "way more."

Your argument may have been true 6 years ago, but it's no longer anymore. The facts are against you. I can point out mainstream shows that only get DVD releases because they're not expected to sell anything. DVDs are cheap to make, that's why tiny productions get DVD-only releases, not because "women only buy DVD." Pay attention to trends instead of parroting sexist old nonsense.
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

You know what? As sick to death I am correcting this stupid, outdated chestnut that "women don't buy BDs", it's a new day and I'll be nice enough to do your work for you. Volume ones/first week only because I don't actually want to spend all day on this.

UtaPri 1000% V1:
BD: *8110
DVD: 12822
BD/DVD: 39% / 61%

UtaPri 2000% V1:
BD: 28253
DVD: 26207
BD/DVD: 52% / 48%

UtaPri Revolutions V1:
BD: 31157
DVD: 18120
BD/DVD: 63% / 37%

Super Lovers V1:
BD: *1198
DVD: *1633
BD/DVD: 42% / 58%

Diabolik Lovers we have no accurate information on initial sales, since it was retailer exclusive. Didn't find any TV series data for BroCon either.

For your own edification, BL fans tend to prefer BD at this point (this is thanks to T&B, btw) and Otoge fans slightly prefer DVD. At least one season of UtaPri had the BD and DVDs at the exact same price, which makes the numbers pretty interesting. But you don't actually care about sales trends, you just wanted to believe men were responsible for the success of Free, so I won't go into further details.

Now, comparing to Free, we see it's perfectly in line with the likes of UtaPri. There is nothing "unusual" about its numbers that would make it obvious that a ton of guys inflated the BD count:

Free! V1:
BD: 15517
DVD: 10209
BD/DVD: 60% / 40%

Free! ES V1:
BD: 11197
DVD: *6672
BD/DVD: 63% / 37%

But if you can't read basic numbers, go over to "someanithing.com" and ask if it's true that girls only buy DVDs. They'll set you straight in a jiffy.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
The volumes of Rezero were 9. In average it sells 8,000 copies by volume, no longer reaches 100k.

A Love Live only tells the first 3 volumes and had no problem in overcoming the barrier of 100k.

You are now using this account because your second account is called ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

It has 2 counts to defend the shit of anime rezero and its bad adaptation.

Fact check: the series doesn't sell only 8000 copies per volume. If you average out the sales figures for both DVD and Blu-ray for the first 6 volumes, it sells an average of 9685.16666667 copies per home video set. It should also be taken into account that the Blu-ray and DVD rankings released by Oricon only cover the top 20 and top 30 best sellers respectively, so that anything that sells under approximately 700 or 200 copies a week (respectively) is not included.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Volume ones/first week only because I don't actually want to spend all day on this.

Are you sure that's the reason? Or is it because UtaPri is well known for having high BD sales due to event tickets and event priority registration? I am sure you are also aware first volume sales in general are terribly inflated and have huge dropoff in these cases. UtaPri is a well known outlier and special case and can't be used since most other series show a DVD slant. Free's ratio of BD/DVD is not in line with the average fujoshi show. To deny Free had a male fanbase is asanine, to say nothing of the mountain of cosplay it has.

The elephant in the room is of course Osomatsu-san, which sold more DVDs per volume than BD. There's no real way to explain that away if indeed fujoshi have moved onto BD as you claim. Yes, it's true there's enough data to suggest women are slowly warming up to BD, but to flat out deny there is still a DVD bias is dishonest. Re:zero's 6th volume had 6,635 BD and 865 DVD. Macross Delta had 5779 BD and 848 DVD. Strike the Blood 7,154 VS 1072. Those are around 10 to 15 percent BD/DVD ratios. BD to DVD ratio is incredibly telling of who is buying a series. If you have another explination on why some shows have a 85%/15% ratio (otaku fluff) , while others have more of a 60/40, 50/50, or 40/60 (gender neutral and fujo stuff) then I'd be interested in hearing it. If YOI doesnt have a large DVD showing then feel free to call me out on it and I'll admit I was wrong, but the trend suggests it will.

-Stuart Smith
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Are you sure that's the reason? Or is it because UtaPri is well known for having high BD sales due to event tickets and event priority registration?

Both BD and DVDs contain event tickets; I SPECIFICALLY checked last time this was used. Try again!

Stuart Smith wrote:
I am sure you are also aware first volume sales in general are terribly inflated and have huge dropoff in these cases. UtaPri is a well known outlier and special case and can't be used since most other series show a DVD slant.

What are these other fujoshi-centric series post 2011 that have a noticeable DVD slant? Don't worry, I'm patient. If you can name them, I'll even compile the data for you, since guys like you are lazy and never do it for yourselves. (In fact I'll even be nice and give you one. Kuroko is split about 50/50, slightly in favor of DVDs.)

Stuart Smith wrote:
Free's ratio of BD/DVD is not in line with the average fujoshi show. To deny Free had a male fanbase is asanine, to say nothing of the mountain of cosplay it has.

No one said Free does not have a male fanbase. I am saying that the male fanbase does not matter. They were not responsible for making Free a hit. They are totally negligible when discussing the series.

I mean, let me entertain what you're saying for a moment. Let's do some number crunching. Let's assume that men were responsible for 10% of the first week BD sales, to keep it more in line with what you think a "proper" ratio for a female-oriented series is. That is 1551 in sales.

Oh, but let's be even more generous! Let's give them 10% of the total, again, to make it "more in line"! That's 2573. I think that's past the Manabi line, right?

No, wait, wait, you said MOUNTAINS of cosplay? Well, okay, Let's give them 25% of total sales for the first week of volume one: 6432. I mean, don't get me wrong. That's not a BAD number. That's about what KyoAni's pulling nowadays in their male-oriented properties. It just pales in comparison to the 19294 women would have spent on this series under these circumstances.

Without men? Free is slightly less of a smash hit. Without women? It can join the other ranks of "hey this is probably good enough to get a sequel!" And not even that if we go by your own metrics of the "proper" BD/DVD ratios for women.

Time to face facts, anime can make hits by just marketing to women.

Stuart Smith wrote:
The elephant in the room is of course Osomatsu-san, which sold more DVDs per volume than BD. There's no real way to explain that away if indeed fujoshi have moved onto BD as you claim.

Osomatsu was popular with women, not just fujoshi. Not only was it popular with women, it was popular with people in general. Osomatsu made it to the mainstream. The DVD ratio makes perfect sense with that in mind, as normal people in Japan do not tend to buy BDs.

P.S.: Touken Ranbu's ratio was 54%/46% in favor of BD. Well in line with Free's numbers~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4