• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are So Many Live Action Anime Adaptations Terrible?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
No you would not need that kind of budget to turn out a good film, hell that sort of budget would be a strong reason for why no one would bite. Studios are already squeamish about a movie's budget edging into the 300 million range as it is.

The one exception is if it's got a very trusted brand name behind it, though at the moment, Disney owns most such franchises. (Transformers and The Fast and the Furious are the two I can think of that aren't Disney owned, though both of those owe a lot of their enduring success to Chinese moviegiers.)

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:
People always seem to forget that Oldboy, Lone Wolf and Cub and Lady Snowblood are based on manga. How come people never bring those up when it comes to live action adaptions?

I expect relatively few people who see those movies have read the manga first.

In addition, there is also a general dislike of Hollywood by anime fans, which appears to me to be either a relative or an offshoot of east vs. west or anime vs. western animation.

The dislike is mutual too. Go to a place like the Internet Movie Database or Metacritic, and it won't take long for you to find a Hollywood fan who hates anime (though the general sentiment toward anime is of disinterest rather than dislike).
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
In addition, there is also a general dislike of Hollywood by anime fans, which appears to me to be either a relative or an offshoot of east vs. west or anime vs. western animation.

The dislike is mutual too. Go to a place like the Internet Movie Database or Metacritic, and it won't take long for you to find a Hollywood fan who hates anime (though the general sentiment toward anime is of disinterest rather than dislike).

I'm a movie enthusiast too, however, I'm more skeptical of movies that are coming out as of late. Marvel's initial movies for the MCU are great, but since Avengers and the want to tie in everyone of their movies for the sake of hype milking, I'm way more skeptical of team up movies because of their stories (Civil War may be improbable to reenact but underwhelming numbers there Marvel). Black Panther looks great, but that's the only movie I am looking for.

Also what was Heaven's Gate
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
I'm a movie enthusiast too, however, I'm more skeptical of movies that are coming out as of late. Marvel's initial movies for the MCU are great, but since Avengers and the want to tie in everyone of their movies for the sake of hype milking, I'm way more skeptical of team up movies because of their stories (Civil War may be improbable to reenact but underwhelming numbers there Marvel). Black Panther looks great, but that's the only movie I am looking for.

Fair enough. I look forward to a number of movies throughout this year, just as I had last year. However, you do have the whole "keep my anime away from Hollywood" mentality, but I suppose the same would hold for any sufficiently core section of any fandom.

Bear in mind, though, that Hollywood, just like the anime industry, is a business, first and foremost. If they see something that brings in a lot of money and is relatively risk-free, they will go for it. Tying up the Marvel movies into the MCU has proven very profitable and pretty low on financial risk, not unlike the isekai trend in anime, or the magical girl deconstruction right before that.

Heaven's Gate was an extremely ambitious movie. Michael Cimino, its director, was effectively given carte blanche to make the movie however he wished, but it wound up going vastly over budget and severely delayed. It put United Artists out of business (whereas it used to be one of the major studios, right up there with Paramount and MGM) and effectively ended the New Hollywood movement begun with people like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, though Cimino's career as a director pretty much ended here. The failure of Heaven's Gate marked a turning point in which movie executives asserted more control over a movie's production, as these young directors could no longer be trusted to make blockbusters. (And Cimino WAS responsible for most of the production problems behind Heaven's Gate, as he was a short-tempered perfectionist.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

Heaven's Gate was an extremely ambitious movie. Michael Cimino, its director, was effectively given carte blanche to make the movie however he wished, but it wound up going vastly over budget and severely delayed. It put United Artists out of business (whereas it used to be one of the major studios, right up there with Paramount and MGM) and effectively ended the New Hollywood movement begun with people like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, though Cimino's career as a director pretty much ended here. The failure of Heaven's Gate marked a turning point in which movie executives asserted more control over a movie's production, as these young directors could no longer be trusted to make blockbusters.

I have no idea what the poster was referring to either, but at the time, there was intense interest in the budget and Cimino's needless auteur overspending on Western-historical period detail, creating a sense that the movie had "gotten what it deserved" when the four-hour premiere turned into a critical disaster.
There were high-profile flops in Hollywood history before, like Elizabeth Taylor's "Cleopatra", but in '81, Heaven's Gate is considered to have first jumpstarted our national OJ-like obsession with watching the "karma" of box-office budgets vs. theatrical gross.
(And Cimino did go on to direct five other more conventional studio movies in the 80's, none of which you would recognize if I mentioned.)

What the poster meant by it, or how it relates to the complicated process by which we got Dragonball:Evolution, I....really couldn't say. Confused
It has even less to do with why so many Japanese live-action adaptations, where studios want to adapt popular manga titles for mainstream audiences, with the social stigma of creating "anime" versions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5