• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna Sues Funimation, Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial, Ronald Toye

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raijin83

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
Raijin83 wrote:
FinalVentCard wrote:
Considering he has to prove that the people that acted against him both a) were actively acting in reckless disregard for the truth, and b) purposefully were trying to harm his person, I hope he has something to show for himself. Funimation already conducted an internal investigation

It's despicable that he roped Rial's fiancee, of all people, into this ordeal.

1 of the things that were in the investigation was a jelly bean with Monica's name on it and Vic said for fun "i ate Monica". you read correctly they accused him over a freaking jelly bean. people made serious investigation for nonsensical bs like this. another 1 was a consensual kiss. these people will get rekt in court.

Did everyone just wake up this morning and decide that these were the only things that he has ever been accused of over the course of the last 15+ years?

these are 2 of the 3 cases Funimation investigated and fired Vic. the 3rd is an alleged inappropriate conduct that Vic denied, and most likely it's bs like the other 2.
Caloris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Raijin83 wrote:
these are 2 of the 3 cases Funimation investigated and fired Vic. the 3rd is an alleged inappropriate conduct that Vic denied, and most likely it's bs like the other 2.
Rolling Eyes

Those are cases that youtube lawyer cherry picked from a leaked document. They are not the only cases.

It appears that you only think things are true if some random nut on youtube claims them to be.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Anthony.P wrote:
Drunk Samurai wrote:
Well then good thing no lawyer did any of that then.

Mr. Beard sub-tweeting Ms. Elderkin with a thinly-veiled threat for the sake of riling up his/Vic's base suggests otherwise.

Your obtuse one-liners have long since gotten old. Stop.

That's not harassment or incitement of harassment. You actually have to tell somebody to go harass in order for it to be harassment legally.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Anthony.P wrote:
Mr. Beard sub-tweeting Ms. Elderkin with a thinly-veiled threat for the sake of riling up his/Vic's base suggests otherwise.

Telling someone they'll be added to a lawsuit if they interfere with an investigation or for defamation is not a threat, it's a statement of fact.

What Ms. Eldekrin thinks about the lawsuit is irrelevant. She is not a lawyer, she is a blogger. If nothing else, this story has shown a lot of people do not know much about the law but like to act like they do.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Anthony.P wrote:

Telling someone they'll be added to a lawsuit if they interfere with an investigation or for defamation is not a threat, it's a statement of fact.

What Ms. Eldekrin thinks about the lawsuit is irrelevant. She is not a lawyer, she is a blogger. If nothing else, this story has shown a lot of people do not know much about the law but like to act like they do.

You're not a lawyer, but you're publicly commenting on the lawsuit. If someone were to threaten to sue you over this post, would you simple shrug and say "well that's not a threat, it's a statement of fact"?

I mean geez, if simply commenting on a lawsuit and if you feel it has merit is grounds to be ADDED to that lawsuit, then 90% of the posters in this thread are in trouble.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:

For people who love to constantly shout about “innocent until proven guilty” (in contexts that have nothing to do with a court room), it’s almost funny how people think “the defendants will have to prove they didn’t defame him” is how this works.

Cause that would mean they’d be assuming that the defendants here are guilty unless they can prove they’re innocent, lol. So you’d think it should be obvious to them that he’s the one who has to prove things here.[/i]

The Reckieta side (I sincerely doubt any of these gaterbros give a shit about Mignogna) has nothing but a bunch of nonsense contradicting arguments:

-Vic is "innocent until proven guilty" (even though he was never accused in court) but Funimation and the VAs are guilty before even going to court

-They made fun of Monica Rial for saying she was taking screenshots of harrassing tweets directed at her as evidence, but they're using tweets about Vic to support their defamation claim

-They claim Rial and Marchi should have kept their stories silent since they were part of Funi's confidential investigation, but celebrate Beard spelling out every detail of the lawsuit on Recketa's livestreams

-They complain about "The Court of Public Opinion" and a man's life being ruined by twitter accussations, but have spent the last three months constantly harrassing anyone even remotely related to Vic's accussations, insulting them and threatening them, like the "lynching mob" they claim #MeToo is
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
Did everyone just wake up this morning and decide that these were the only things that he has ever been accused of over the course of the last 15+ years?

People have been insisting he didn't do anything noteworthy since this whole scandal started. The previous gigantic comment thread listing numerous accusations, with photos and other supporting evidence, was full of people who seemingly hadn't read any of it.

To put it another way, the claims that everyone except Vic is lying did start relatively recently, but only because this issue only recently shifted from "open secret" to "thing everyone is aware of and is having actual consequences." It's sort of understandable given the context that many of his defenders likely hadn't heard about any of this until now, so they feel like all these accusations just popped up out of nowhere, in the same way that you feel like their denials suddenly manifested. But, of course, in the broader context of these types of scenarios in general, the adamant defend-the-dude squad didn't just appear suddenly, either; they've all observed and/or participated in stuff like this before.

I mean, you probably knew all that already, but it's worth spelling out for the many other people in this thread, at least until like ten minutes from now when we hit the next page of comments.

Anyway, even in an alternate universe where he was accused of nothing, this case would still seem pretty ridiculous. He's a voice actor who works under contracts, not, like, a tenured professor. If he really makes money off of losing some roles and convention appearances, I'm have to figure out a way to become even more disappointed in our legal system. The incredible irony of people ranting about the court of public opinion--but no actual court--going after him, only for him to launch his own court case against Funimation and some of his accusers, is quite an impressive feat of entitlement. But unfortunately that's not an unusual turn of events, either. The silver lining, if there is one, is that this stunt will most likely just make him even more of an industry pariah.

Beyond that, I don't have any stake in Vic specifically and don't want to wade through an argument I've seen too many times before, so that's all I'm going to say on this.
Perhaps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:39 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:

How is it that Vic's bad behavior was pretty much an open secret in the industry, yet Funimation's initial investigation was apparently inconclusive? To reconcile this contradiction, you'd have to argue that they were incompetent or worse, that they looked the other way.

If Funimation could miss that badly in 2017, why are we now giving credence to their 2019 investigation?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:

How is it that Vic's bad behavior was pretty much an open secret in the industry, yet Funimation's initial investigation was apparently inconclusive? To reconcile this contradiction, you'd have to argue that they were incompetent or worse, that they looked the other way.

It's quite possible that Funimation DID look the other way, which would be bad (but not automatically invalidate the later investigation), or it's also quite possible that people were scared to speak out about Vic's behavior in any on the record fashion back then.

And if you were to ask "well why would people be afraid to speak about the harassment", well, may I remind you that several people who spoke out about alleged harassment are now being sued for a million dollars? Among other things.
Caloris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps wrote:
How is it that Vic's bad behavior was pretty much an open secret in the industry, yet Funimation's initial investigation was apparently inconclusive?
Where did you get that idea from?

People keep going on about "the investigation was inconclusive", without having seen anything from an investigation to comment on.
It also shows a lack of understanding as to how internal investigations work.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
Honestly I haven't been following this at all but I can say that false accusations and internal investigations by companies involving harassment especially against women aren't often carried out very well.

Especially when the company is very public facing they will often just terminate someone
simply to avoid getting involved or receive bad publicity.
ronelm2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
Just a little update, but Nick Rekieta is doing a commentary on this very thread: Mod Edit removed link- Maya

Take it with a grain of salt if you're against him, but at least listen to the words, not the messenger. I feel like it's still meaningful discussion helpful to this thread.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:38 am Reply with quote
ronelm2000 wrote:
Just a little update, but Nick Rekieta is doing a commentary on this very thread: Mod Edit removed link- Maya

Take it with a grain of salt if you're against him, but at least listen to the words, not the messenger. I feel like it's still meaningful discussion helpful to this thread.

So I'm gonna give you the benefit of doubt, and simple edit the link and explain why.

Nick Rekieta isn't even Vic's lawyer.

In the two minutes of the livestream I listened to, he wasn't talking about the thread yet even (he was about to start), but did in fact use use MULTIPLE SLURS and make a highly sexual comment as he was reading the chat/comments for his livestream.

So yeah, nope. If he wants to comment on this thread, he can do so here (where he has to follow the ANN rules), we're not gonna just have links to some unmoderated live stream for him to say whatever nonsense he wants and, may I repeat, use MULTIPLE SLURS.
Ron Donald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:18 am Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
ronelm2000 wrote:
Ryasha wrote:
Ron Donald wrote:

edit: and do you even know anything about that "internal investigation"? One of the complaints was he ate one of Monica's jelly beans. No, seriously.

It wasn't that he ate a jellybean. It was him making a sexual comment when he did it.
She willingly gave him the jellybean, signed it with her name like an autograph, and he put it in his mouth saying the he got to eat Monica Rial. THAT is why it was included as a complaint in the investigation.

While personally I have problems with HR considering that as sexual harassment, the real question is where are the other claims, like Monica Rial's claim (in a long tweet) last Febuary, or Jamie Marchi's other claims, or Ron's inflating corroborating accounts. That's what the public ultimately needs to ascertain.

There were two totally separate investigations. One in 2017, and one in 2019. You heard a singular story from 2017 that was absolutely not the sole reason why Funimation separated from Vic. You have not heard about the other stories from the rest of both investigations because you are only hearing what tiny little itty bitty bit was leaked through a YouTube channel rather than through official means. That information is not owed to you, and the public is not at all in the slightest owed the information to allow them to ascertain. That is completely up to the court. If and when it gets that far, and if Funimation allows for that information to become public, THEN the public will be able to scrutinize all they want.

The interrogatories and discovery requests are demanding all info related to the "investigation" get turned over. You're living in a fantasy if you think Funimation can go "ehhhh nah." You think that's gonna fly with a judge? Welcome to the real world, it doesn't work like Twitter. You can't just block opposing counsel and hope they go away.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

And if you were to ask "well why would people be afraid to speak about the harassment", well, may I remind you that several people who spoke out about alleged harassment are now being sued for a million dollars? Among other things.

Pretty sure they're being sued not for speaking out, but for defamation. Those are two distinctly different things and it's pretty bad faith to treat them as the same.

There's a line and it may have been crossed, hence brining the suit and letting the system play out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 32