• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:
Would you guys believe me if i tell you he the 2nd most popular character of the manga, after Tanjirou

Manga readers didn't have to listen to him screaming.

Laughing Spoken for truth. I wonder if the voice acting/direction didn’t actually make the character worse than he is.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I can do without Zenitsu's screaming but I absolutely love that he's a thirsty coward with room to grow. I don't hate Tanjirou but he's sorta becoming Captain Cardboard which isn't necessarily his fault but nonetheless the life he lives.

Inosuke is 100% my jam though. Pump that shit into my veins.
Saury

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Much was made of Zenitsu's shrill personality last week – I wasn't surprised to find that many fans were not interested in putting up with the boy's loud antics for an entire episode.

Quote:
I think the lack of Nezuko and the focus on Zenitsu's antics have made this arc suffer in comparison to the show's best moments

I think that was very deliberate. I haven't read the source material, but I predict Zenitsu will become smitten with Nezuko and make him follow Tanjiro around as much as his orders will allow. Ultimately, if that scenario plays out, then his desire to protect Nezuko will be the key for Zenitsu to grow out of being a coward later in the story.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:16 am Reply with quote
I like that Zenitsu was more than a coward without tell us that. He could just put the kid under the bus to save his own skin but he actually trying to protect him despite how terrified he was.

Since the anime don't have narration to explain about Zenitsu sleep mode:
spoiler[Zenitsu himself is quite skill, but his insecurity about his ability and his fearful anture keep him from using his skill during high stress moment. Like public speaking , no matter how well-prepare you are, you still can crash under pressure . But when he lost conscious, his fear and insecure disappear, leaving a swordman than so good he can even fight during his sleep.][/code]
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Zenitsu is an incredibly obnoxious and boring character I’ve seen in many other shonen fair (mineta in My Hero Academia). Why do manga authors continue to use this cliched coward/letch character as comic relief? His presence both ruins the tone of the show and the overall viewing experience for myself.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Mineta x The Magnificent Steiner from Monster. Since it seems pretty clear he's not going to be in Steiner mode very often, that means more muting (much better muting his scenes and just reading subs). But c'mon, hasn't that kid been through enough already without making him babysit Zenitsu? It's just too cruel.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that really bugged me in episode 13 was the room spinning. It was visually established previously and reinforced at the beginning of this episode that regardless of which wall of the room you were standing on, earth's gravity always dictates what is "down." So if you were standing on the floor and then the room (and you with the floor you were standing on) rotates 180°, you fall to the ceiling, which is now down. But if you're in the air when it rotates, you should just fall down, regardless of what surface was or is below you. When the room was literally spinning, as long as he remained in the air he should not have been tumbling in mid-air along with it.

So I guess Zenitsu is shouting all the time so he can hear himself over the general din of the world?
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:27 am Reply with quote
I just want to say that this week Boar Guy snatched the top spot from Zenitsu on my list of annoying characters in this show...
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
The repeated scenes really hurt this episode for me. It's one thing if it was last weeks episode or even at the very beginning, but these were barely minutes apart =/

Considering the ending already shows the 3 slayers together w/ Nezuko, I hope that things don't get too drawn out for us to get to that point now that everyone is together.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the reviewer. I enjoyed this episode as we are likely setting up something interesting for our trio of misfits. The antics were funny as Tanjiro played the responsible older sibling. The fight scenes are always enjoyable.
Badcrazy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the whole last arc has been a bust so this episode was a nice palette cleanser. I probably wouldn't be able to stand a normal comedy with just these guys yelling all the time but as a lively break in a gory action show, it's nice to breath.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Calm before the storm. There already a new PV for the next arc and trust me, spoiler[the next arc gonna be brutal.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why they gave Zeni a bird he can't understand? I would assume it's some sort of Slayer magic that allows Tanjiou to understand his bird, except that apparently everyone can understand his bird, given how often people are shocked when it speaks. I guess Bishie Boarshead doesn't have a bird because he's sort of unofficial, having just straight up stolen his swords? Or did I already forget what his bird is?

I'm feeling a little more generous towards him now, because it's clear he's got zero reference points for the behavior everyone expects of him. I imagine he doesn't even know what "thank you" means, let alone when it would be appropriate. But at least he finally grasped the rule about not fighting other Slayers, after Tanjirou repeated it enough, and now he's willing to abide by it and is taking it quite seriously. He seems to have some potential, unlike Zeni, whose Magnificent Steiner saving grace has only appeared once, and doesn't seem likely to be showing his face nearly often enough to offset all his repellent traits on display in his normal state. But really, I think I could even grow to like him, as I do feel some sympathy for the problems his hearing has caused him, if only he'd just. stop. YELLING.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Demon Slayer was never going to last with just Tanjiro and Nezuko

True it barely lasted two episodes giving Nezuko stuff to do and character moments. My memories of her screen-time are a distant memory at this point~. I know this is a shounen but Jesus what a waste of a character.
Zenitsu has just been absolutely trash yeah. I love people posting his single 5 second stupidly good animated fight scene and going “YOU ARE SLEEPING ON THIS SHOW” and I’m like “IF ONLY YOU KNEW WHAT THOSE 5 SECONDS COST”.

Inosuke is fine, he’s also annoying but next to Zenitsu he’s a saint and he actually gets cool moments and gets to do shit other than screaming. Tanjiro, cool demons and ufotable are basically all that’s keeping me any sort of invested in the show. It seems like Takahiro Sakurai’s character will be returning soon so hopefully we get cool shit from him. Was sad he got about as much screentime as Nezuko before leaving the show.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
A bit of context from someone who has been following the manga for a while. In its early days, Kimetsu no Yaiba was suffering a lot with low ranks and that was a period when Jump was cancelling manga left and right. I feel like Nezuko would've been given a larger role but the fact that the manga was risking cancellation led to a increased focus on the boys to the detriment of Nezuko. Which worked as the manga survived and did pretty well by then.

It's funny how characters like Zenitsu are incredibly popular in the manga (in part for reasons that are still not being shown) but maybe also because of some level of cultural dissonance.[/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 20