• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony's Funimation Global Group Completes Acquisition of Crunchyroll from AT&T

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Our goal is to create a unified anime subscription experience as soon as possible.
Well that is good on paper, if I have to pay ore money then I'm not for it, CR already went up once. Having Funimation as a bonus is nice, but I'm not willing to pay more money for it, unless they have some tier system of payment.

As someone else pointed out, this may well mean the UK has one de-facto publisher, and honestly they are not that great. But we will see how that goes, Manga may have all of Funimations titles, but MVM and Anime Limited may still be able to get CR titles, after all they still seem to get Aniplex titles.

This is must really suck for Sentai, they just struck up a deal for home video release for a dozen of their titles. What will happen to Food Wars as season 3 and onwards they were getting from CR. With Vinland season 2 looking like it will be Netflix, they only have Made in Abyss season 2 left for the future.
ghost47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:49 am Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Seriously, this does not bode well. All indications from Funi social media is that CR is going to be folded into Funi. After the recent fiasco with AnimeLab becoming FuniANZ and adopting the Funi presentation rather than the AL one, I can see them just rolling the CR catalogue into Funi as is. And dont be surprised if not all shows come over either.

Someone asked what this would mean for Wakanim, and personally I think they were waiting for the outcome of this before rebranding as probably FuniEU like they did with AnimeLab becoming FuniANZ.

I'm still salty about that. The Funimation site is worse than the Animelab one is every way, and I don't see them improving it anytime soon.
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Our first priority is you, the millions of fans who form the global community that is anime.

Whenever a public company says something like this it's running fast and loose with the truth, which is that the only priority of any public company is its shareholders. Needing customers (and employees, for that matter) is just an unfortunate but necessary consequence.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote
So that means Crunchyroll may end up shutdown like AnimeLab because of Funimation?
rarirurero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:07 am Reply with quote
Please don't shut down Crunchyroll or pull it out of licensing outside US/UK.
Please and Thank You!
James_xeno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:19 am Reply with quote
Yippee for even more market/power consolidation, (western corporate) control.... and even greater ability to dictate.. well... over anything they want.

Here's hoping SPE doesn't pull an SCE/SIE like their other CA based sibling did.

In the end though.. It's Crunchyroll, the people still wasting anime fans money on trash like HGS. So it's not like we are losing outright. But at the same time, it guarantees even less dubs not handled by funi... ugh
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:00 am Reply with quote
Megumi Chisato wrote:

The only way to have a fair market is to really remove any sort of exclusive streaming rights. Let every streaming service stream the same shows. That way, consumers not only have far easier access to content and not have to pay hundreds of dollars for multiple services. They can choose the service they like the best (based on the features and functions) and still have access to all their favorite content. This way, streaming services will have to compete based on who has the best streaming experience instead of the best content.

Here's the problem if all streaming services have the same content then you're basically saturating the market with redundant services. It also wouldn't prevent the potential issue of a streaming service bleeding subscribers to a competitor because they have something the other streaming service doesn't potentially leading to the problem of the streaming service having to shut down or sell it's asset to a competitor.

I know people hate exclusivity and there are legitimate reasons to hate it. But competition sometimes isn't better itself.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:38 am Reply with quote
rarirurero wrote:
Please don't shut down Crunchyroll or pull it out of licensing outside US/UK.
Please and Thank You!

Seeing this alot. They have said its gunna happen. They have said their plan is one site. Pretty much CR will be shut down in places FGG already are (including Europe where Wakanim is) and will be rebranded where they arent.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 am Reply with quote
Felt Appropriate to post my MS Paint Job of this old slide when the last big Anime Merger Happened.

DrewH90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
how is this not a monopoly
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
DrewH90 wrote:
how is this not a monopoly

Because Netflix, Sentai Filmworks, Viz, Right Stuff/Nozomi, Discotek etc still exist.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
As far as other publishers, like others have mentioned Sentai has struggled to acquire licenses for years. The potential end of the Crunchyroll partnership is not good, but Sentai has been resourceful getting titles from Amazon, Netflix and lately ODA's.

And Discotek should be fine because their main focus is old anime, not simulcasts.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
So did the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice sign off on the merger? Did they end their investigation? Didn't see anything about this in the story.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-03-24/report-u.s-justice-department-extends-antitrust-review-of-sony-proposed-acquisition-of-crunchyroll/.171049
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
James_xeno wrote:
Yippee for even more market/power consolidation, (western corporate) control.... and even greater ability to dictate.. well... over anything they want.

Here's hoping SPE doesn't pull an SCE/SIE like their other CA based sibling did.

In the end though.. It's Crunchyroll, the people still wasting anime fans money on trash like HGS. So it's not like we are losing outright. But at the same time, it guarantees even less dubs not handled by funi... ugh

Ah yes the Western corporation, Sony.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, reading through these comments makes me feel incredibly lucky because I haven't had any issues streaming anime on Funimation except for the one time I tried to stream Scarlet Nexus. It appeared on the website but not the actual app.

And... I maybe had a semi hard time streaming Heaven's Official Blessing but it was mostly subtitle speed.

I've had the worst time with CR though. I hate trying to search on the app on the PS4, and the ads are so annoying and repetitive.

Kind of excited for the merger though if it brings both catalogs to one streaming service.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6