• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:08 pm Reply with quote

Official confirmation that Mechamaru is dead, not that we needed it apart from the die-hard romantics. Interesting that he set his insurance to only activate when the sealing was complete, which is hard to believe unless he knew exactly what to program into his puppets as the prison realm isn't an everyday item used by everyone. His remaining puppets run on battery and possibly curse power, which is probably why he was still able to argue with Itadori's group like a live person would instead of just being a tape recorder.

Another feather in Itadori's cap: superb lung capacity in addition to his peak physical conditioning. It's not a huge radius and there's less ambient noise to compete with, but the low-tech way of shouting out the news works indiscriminately.

The mysterious white-haired girl with the serial stabber was briefly seen in season one, and this is her first appearance in this season. We don't know much about her, beyond the fact she's working with Geto to undermine the support network for Itadori and the others. Perhaps we'll find out more about her as the season progresses.

With Gojou sealed, it looks like it's a free-for-all as the existing order collapses and everyone tries to cash in on the power vacuum left behind. What's with the trio in the post-credits scene? The remnants of the group from Gojou's high-school escapades? Again, something viewers might find out more as more episodes air.

More of a setup episode describing the aftermath of the sealing, with a bit of exposition thrown in for the humanoid curses and their motivations. So less action to spend budget over and a breather for the animators (Itadori's brief set piece keeps the viewers interested beyond the bulk of talking heads in this week). It'll take time before the breaching parties encounter resistance, so plenty of matchups to come.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:51 am Reply with quote
34:

Man, Mechamaru being "alive" although he's really dead is such a deus ex "mecha"-na.

I'll take my leave now.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Original discussion started here.
----------------------------------

Episode 34 (S02E10): Pandemonium

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:47 pm Reply with quote

This is a long arc, so I'm not having high expectations of the pacing for the next quarter and more to be anything other than not too slow. The setup has already been elaborated on last week, so casual viewers can expect to be fed a fairly steady diet of frequent action set-pieces as Gojou's allies figure out a way to circumvent the very convoluted defence system set up by Geto and his allies before they can even get close to the prison realm. This episode is but one of many fights to come, now that the squads have been deployed to enter the veils and do something about the situation at hand.

Two battles this week, with Itadori and Fushiguro faring better against their opponent thanks to Fushiguro's ability to analyse his opponents quickly despite the fast-paced situation. Itadori would never beat this one on his own without advance knowledge, while Fushiguro admits he lacks the raw power required to actually inflict damage after the foe's magic defences have been bypassed. A strong combo, and a decent fight to make up for last week's lack of action.

The other one looks like it might end with their new senior getting killed despite making his acquaintance a few weeks ago. Simple modus operandi: buy enough time for the seance to call the required spirit and then consume a relic of said spirit to inherit all of its powers when the physical body was alive. The combination has proven effective, especially as viewers have seen more than enough of Fushiguro Megumi's father in action to know Nanami's protege is in a huge pickle. His powers have been deactivated, and Toji is near impossible to kill by regular sorcerers. Unless Nanami's protege has an ace in the hole, he's going to get killed and Itadori and Megumi will have to pick up the pieces.

Trailer next week indicates Nanami and others will have their hands full with their own battles. I'm going to enjoy the ride regardless of who's on stage.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:44 am Reply with quote
35:

Huh. Didn't expect to see Toji again in present day.

But hey, if Geto is "alive" after being dead, then all bets are off, ammarite.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Episode 35 (S02E11): Seance

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:47 pm Reply with quote

The duels just keep coming, although the franchise has a clever way of sneaking in plot twists and exposition when the action isn't taking centre stage. Summoning Fushiguro Toji was always going to be risky when they had no idea what he was really capable of, and the biggest irony of all is that he is now free to wreak havoc on his own terms after slaying his erstwhile summoners. Good thing they did that flashback arc; jumping straight in without showing us what he could do would have been a disservice to the story.

It's been a while since Kugisaki was in the wars, last time out she and Itadori were taking on the Curse brothers on the highway. This time round she's outmatched, but her determination to buy time was enough for a Deus Ex Machina to save the day. Nanami might have lost his previous fight against Mahito, but against lower-level opposition his special ability to do consistent damage against more or less any type of opponent is overwhelmingly strong. It's also very satisfying seeing that smug stab-happy curse user get pummelled from store to street, although I don't think he's dead yet as his technique is probably keeping him alive and preventing Nanami from finishing off with attacks to his vitals.

Speaking of the Curse brothers, it is Chousou who finds Itadori first so he gets first crack on killing him unless his compatriot can find them and stop the fight. Itadori doesn't know who Chousou is, so unless his opponent fills him in and Itadori remembers who he killed previously in season one he'll have no option but to fight back remaining clueless all the while.

Mei has her hands full with the Smallpox deity, but her read wasn't too far off the mark regarding Getou. She initially thought he was an imposter, which isn't entirely wrong. No one besides Gojou has any idea who Getou really is, but she won't have time to think it through for now while she's occupied.

For supernatural action, this one probably still keeps its crown this season despite the ridiculously stacked competition. Is it going to be enough to keep casual viewers interested, when the storyline pacing might be dictated by the simultaneous duels and their conclusions?

Last edited by Harleyquin on Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:18 am Reply with quote
36:

God, Mad Nanami was mad awesome to watch.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Original discussions started here.

Episode 36 (S02E12): Dull Knife

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:46 pm Reply with quote

If the season spends the rest of the airtime delivering duels of this quality on a weekly basis, it's hard to fault this season on entertainment value. Plot aside, this week's duel alone made up for Itadori's initial battle of the season with the grasshopper demon, which other viewers were quick to criticise for its relative lack of polish.

So Chousou did remind Itadori of his brothers, and the latter in kind responded. Didn't stop Chousou from going all out to get revenge, and by the end of the episode it looks like he did get it had Itadori not been saved by not one but two Deus Ex Machina. Some of the visual aspects of the duel are especially surreal; the one that stood out to me was the railway line signs at Shinjuku being replaced by Chousou's blood manipulation moves as a visual aid to casual viewers. Either way, Itadori was outmatched from the start and even with Mechmaru's hint the best he did was grievously wound Chousou enough that anyone following up behind Itadori could have an easier time finishing him off. To date one of the most visceral action set pieces delivered to date, and definitely one of the highlights of this season. Like all franchise duels, the outcome see-saws dramatically from one end to the other until a conclusion is delivered at literally the last second.

This is the second time Itadori has (unconsciously) brainwashed one of his opponents. He did it to Toudou, who would have killed him on the school trip otherwise. Even Sukuna is surprised, so there's something innate about Itadori that allows him to pull this very unusual trick out at literally the last possible moment. He'd still have died from shock, but Getou's former proteges (those who don't know who they are can watch the last episode of the high school arc again) provide the second Deus Ex Machina and are probably going to patch up Itadori so that he can have his rematch (and he won't be relying on Sukuna at all for regeneration this time round).

After this week, can the action buffet that keeps on giving deliver another spectacle for expectant viewers?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:39 pm Reply with quote

Episode 37 (S02E13): Red Scale

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Pending
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:55 am Reply with quote

Mei Mei eventually figured out the trick, but it came at a cost. She knows she has to take on (Fake) Getou at full strength, but the smallpox curse did its job and even with Ui Ui handling domains she's at a disadvantage and it shows. Not sure how that duel is going to pan out, since the adaptation is throwing high-quality duels one after the other with barely any pause in between.

Maki's clan patriarch is a drunkard, but he's got the walk to back up his bluster. He has never rated Maki because she has zero magic power, and now that he's unleashed what he's capable of (with the narrator doing a wonderful job filling in casual viewers) viewers will probably agree he would have preferred Maki be like her sister and actually use curse powers like everyone else as it would make coordination much easier. Since Fushiguro Toji is now in the picture, the contrast between potential realised and latent potential couldn't be more stark.

Just how many viewers remember who this week's new opponent is? The clue I needed to jog my memory was the mention of Getou's hangers-on. Once the domain was expanded, everything else fell into place. One of the few curses attending (Fake) Getou who has never really been in the spotlight until now. Considering how strong Zenbito is, taking off his right arm using the domain's insta-hit ability is quite the achievement. The four of them would have the upper hand, but the bad news is Fushiguro (ex. Zen'in) Toji has joined the fight and he has no love for the family which abandoned him. If he fights against the four, they have no chance if they do not escape the domain.

Although it's business as usual for this adaptation, can it keep up with the surprises to keep viewers guessing? Although the basic formula can be repetitive, the twists and turns to each duel keep viewers from feeling bored when the action on screen holds attention so well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
I know for a fact I will enjoy this content more when I rewatch after it has all come out. I find with this title it takes at least two viewings for me to really hoist things onboard and being able to do it in a concentrated time period as opposed to waiting week to week is very helpful. However, I can also say that there are other factors inhibiting my full enjoyment. I just don't like long arcs. I prefer stories that are wrapped up in three, four or five episodes. That's just a personal preference. Plus, one of the things I enjoy about JJK is the comedic interplay between characters and obviously when everybody is in full on battle mode all of the time, there simply isn't the opportunity for that. I'm also missing certain characters like Panda and Itadori's 'bruzer." Oh well.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:08 am Reply with quote
38:

Toji bursting onto the scene smiling while everyone was literally fighting for their lives is the most troll thing ever.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:21 am Reply with quote

Episode 38 (S02E14): Fluctuations

Summary:

Pending

Comments:

Pending

Screen Caps:

Pending
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14