• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Voice Actor Tōru Furuya Admits to 4-Year Affair With Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zimmer

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I wish people could just not be scum.
Satonamba

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:33 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Please don't blame the victim. -TK]
Kenchi Narukami

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
He admitted that he hit her once over an argument, and he admitted that he forced her to have abortion.

In my opinion they should get rid of his character in detective conan.

Why should the character suffer and be erased just cause his VA turned out to be a piece of shit? Just Recast him, the character did nothing wrong here
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 2:20 am Reply with quote
Troll posts and responses removed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wangen

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 2:52 am Reply with quote
Okay, I will say something else, about Furuya himself...

I have a feeling that what may have messed his mind up, or at least had some role in it, was that he continued to voice relatively young characters all the way into his old age, due to, well, his well known youthful voice.

It may have made him think he's not all that old.

And looking at the recent pictures of his, him dying his hair, maybe he can't accept that he isn't young anymore.
Yusaku_005

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 3:37 am Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:
Okay, I will say something else, about Furuya himself...

I have a feeling that what may have messed his mind up, or at least had some role in it, was that he continued to voice relatively young characters all the way into his old age, due to, well, his well known youthful voice.

It may have made him think he's not all that old.

And looking at the recent pictures of his, him dying his hair, maybe he can't accept that he isn't young anymore.

Maybe, though I feel that the age of the other woman was the least concerning thing about this whole story.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:57 am Reply with quote
After this article and other stuff I’ve read, yeah, Furuya can’t and shouldn’t come back from this. Aside from the fact he admitted nearly everything, from what I can vaguely recall from interviews and things others have said, Furuya was fairly cocky but I laughed it off and it’s not unexpected that a legend in the industry would have a bit of an ego. So in hindsight, I could say there was precedence for this, but man, this is beyond what I could’ve imagined. Simply unforgivable. I feel absolutely terrible for the fan….
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:12 am Reply with quote
This is... pretty upsetting. Part of me is a bit curious about the details (which, contrary to what one user said, don't appear to be on ZF, unless the post is hidden away somewhere) ... but another part of me just really, really does not want to know.

Absolutely inexcusable, reprehensible behavior.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:

Do you guys think he is honest about his apology?

Who knows. Unless someone is total blatant in making a false or forced apology, or is making an apology with their lawyer right behind them.

It is easy to guess why he really wanted that abortion. Babies change everything, that would have been the end of his marriage.
tasukete

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:26 am Reply with quote
Ugh. This really hits home, as someone who's both experienced and witnessed domestic violence. Forced abortion seems to have shocked most of the posters here, but to me, it's more like, "Yeah, if he's abusive, then of course that happened." One of my relatives was forced to have FIVE abortions, and she was horribly devastated by all of them. This s*** is absolutely a part of domestic violence, and I don't think anyone knows how widespread it is because nobody is measuring it.

And because it needs to be said: I'm posting to raise awareness about a particularly heinous type of abuse that isn't well known, not to debate abortion. Do not disrespect the victims here by starting a flamewar.
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:40 am Reply with quote
The below is a Google translation for a post on aoni production official site.
https://www.aoni.co.jp/

Quote:
Thank you very much for your continued support. We would like to express our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and concern that some of the reports regarding Toru Furuya, an actor affiliated with our company, may cause to all of our fans who support us on a daily basis, as well as those involved in our support. I apologize. Regarding the content of this report, it is as per the comment made by Toru Furuya on his X (formerly Twitter), but this incident is an act that lacks awareness and responsibility as a voice actor and should never happen. is. Furuya deeply regrets his actions towards the other party and the inconvenience caused to everyone, and our company believes that this was the result of insufficient guidance and supervision for Furuya. We take this very seriously. Once again, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Aoni Production Co., Ltd.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
The one good thing about this is that he will never work again. His reputation has been salted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The one good thing about this is that he will never work again. His reputation has been salted.

I wouldn’t celebrate just yet, people have said the same about other voice actors caught in controversy, and many of those returned to work.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 11:22 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

I wouldn’t celebrate just yet, people have said the same about other voice actors caught in controversy, and many of those returned to work.

I mean, Suzuki is still relegated to reprisals nowadays.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope nintendo replaces him in fire emblem heroes. Gross
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6