• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Inu-Yasha wrote:
Any word yet if there going to dub the movies yet? I hope they take there time otherwise they(Viz) might botch the series if they rush and we wouldn't want that would we?

If this thread at Furinkan.net is correct, then the first "Inuyasha" movie will premiere at Anime Expo in July this year.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
I just had a thought...

Okay, the Adult Swim Saturday block is being called the "Action" Block, right? And it's starting in April, right? Anyone else remember the news report or two from recently that mentioned something about Gundam SEED debuting in April on Cartoon Network's "Action" Block?

Example: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/4131.html

Nobody yell at me (as tends to come close to happening whenever I bring this up), I'm merely speculating. Doesn't it just seem too convenient to be ignored? And as far as it "not belonging" on Adult Swim because it's a kid's show in Japan, what about Detective Conan? Unless I'm mistaken, it too is going to Adult Swim, and yet from looking at its Encyclopedia entry, it doesn't look very "adult" either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:14 am Reply with quote
It would fit nicely into that seemingly vacant 12:30 spot, wouldn't it?

Wolf's Rain, 2 Inuyasha's and then Gundam Seed.

Sound like a line-up to me. Very Happy
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
And as far as it (Detective Conan) "not belonging" on Adult Swim because it's a kid's show in Japan, what about Detective Conan? Unless I'm mistaken, it too is going to Adult Swim, and yet from looking at its Encyclopedia entry, it doesn't look very "adult" either.

It's interesting because InyYasha and Conan air together in Japan, don't they. Looks like they're keeping up the tradition on this side of the ocean.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:24 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
And as far as it (Detective Conan) "not belonging" on Adult Swim because it's a kid's show in Japan, what about Detective Conan? Unless I'm mistaken, it too is going to Adult Swim, and yet from looking at its Encyclopedia entry, it doesn't look very "adult" either.

Actually, the "it" I was referring to there was SEED, since most of the argument against it appearing on Adult Swim was that it was a kid's show in Japan. I referenced Detective Conan to point out that being said Japanese kid's show apparently held little ground as far as where Cartoon Network placed certain shows. Sorry for the confusion. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:53 am Reply with quote
If "Gundam SEED" really is going to Adult Swim, then they probably would've announced it along with "Detective Conan", "Wolf's Rain", and the rest of them. Unless they do announce it, I'm highly doubtful that "SEED" will air on Adult Swim.

The reason I'm pretty sure "SEED" is Toonami-bound is because it's the property that has the potential to be the next "Gundam Wing". I know some of the comparisons to "Wing" are unfair, but that's the potential "SEED" has, and I'm sure Bandai wants to take full advantage of it. Toonami is the best place to do that. But if it doesn't go to Toonami, then at most I'll bet it'll go to SVES, maybe be a lead-in to the new Adult Swim block (Toonami-like edits and all).

Another reason: remember Bandai's statement about putting two versions of "Zeta" on CN: edited version for Toonami and nearly uncut version for Adult Swim (which they thought was still only on Saturdays and Sundays)?

So am I saying "Gundam SEED" will never go to Adult Swim? Nope. I'm just saying until I see an actual name of the block where it's going to land, I'm going to remain skeptical and continue to believe it's heading for Toonami.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
The DVDs will catch up to the number of episodes CN has aired at about the same time CN premieres new episodes. [...] The TV showing will pull ahead again of the DVD releases.

I think this is just a way to help Viz with the dubbing. [...] So the move to weekends is more than likely a way to help Viz get the episodes to AS on time. We don't want the "Spawns of Satan" complaining again, now do we?

Quite true. That was just wishful thinking before I'd read all the news. Anime smile + sweatdrop Personally, I think that the once a week isn't that big of deal unless the show is slow moving. Or perhaps something that messes with your mind.
lobotomoy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote
It also might be worth mentioning that, according to the "New Years Resolutions" cards a few weeks ago, Saturday will be reserved for action, and Sunday will be reserved for comedy. In other words, no more anime on sundays. I'm not complaining, just FYI.
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey, how cool would it be if AS aired uncut episodes of Kenshin at that 12:30 timeslot? Come to think of it, what will become of .hack and RK now that AS is coming to Sat nite (Yu Yu Hakusho is headed for Toonami and I doubt anyone really cares about the fate of Knights of the Zodiac)?
arxane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Kholdstare wrote:
Hey, how cool would it be if AS aired uncut episodes of Kenshin at that 12:30 timeslot? Come to think of it, what will become of .hack and RK now that AS is coming to Sat nite (Yu Yu Hakusho is headed for Toonami and I doubt anyone really cares about the fate of Knights of the Zodiac)?

Uncut "Kenshin" would be cool, but sadly the chances of it happening are incredibly slim. I'm sure "Kenshin", along with ".hack//SIGN", with simply be moved to an earlier timeslot.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Kholdstare wrote:

Actually, I think ALOT of people WILL care about the fate of KOZ, like myself, KOZ, while dubbed by Bandai, which is what CN is airing isn't THAT great, it's still good enough to keep me watching every week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
arxane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
Actually, I think ALOT of people WILL care about the fate of KOZ, like myself, KOZ, while dubbed by Bandai, which is what CN is airing isn't THAT great, it's still good enough to keep me watching every week.

I thought "Knights of the Zodiac" was dubbed by DiC.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Anime_Freak wrote:

I thought "Knights of the Zodiac" was dubbed by DiC.

Anime smile + sweatdrop Typo, but yeah, I meant DiC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Neardawg1979

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
It seems like the whole Gundam Seed thing is still in the air, if GS is going to end up on Toonami or AS. The question has been tossed around the AS message boards too. SwimInsiders don't confirm or deny anything when they are asked about GS, is it some kind of secret?

As far as going back to the weekend format, I knew that was going to happen ever since they moved to weeknights. I think someone here mentioned having to go to sleep halfway through Inuyasha because he had to get up early. That's the case with most adults, so I'm sure AS's numbers went down dramaticaly when they were on weeknights. I for one am glad that AS has returned to the weekends, now I can stay up and watch it without having to tape it and watch it the next day. If they kept the weeknights for airing re-runs and made Friday night Movie Night, AS could be on seven days a week. Maybe that's the first step in AS getting its own network.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3