• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Thread - Best before 1/08/10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm often disappointed by locked threads. This seems to be a phenominon contingent more on moderator patience than anything, which does lend to some frustration. That notwithstanding, what a shame to end something before it's finished; I actually look forward to the unforseen directions a thread might go even if they aren't particularly relevant, whatever that could mean.

I wonder a lot about it, whether or not mods have a thread-stomping quota or it's just an entertaining internet superpower. But then again, I suppose that without moderation you just get 4ch and the blessings and curses that brings. I'd love to hear your personal takes on this topic, even if it may decryptify the mod culture; a mystique in and of itself.

EDIT: I missed it the first time because I was looking for "lock" related topics but I read the "I Loathe Inconsistent Moderation" and that was informative; I guess I'm still curious if there's anything particular worth saying.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
Considering 90% of locked threads fall into 2 categories I'm not disappointed at all nor should anyone else be honestly. The VAST majority of threads get locked either for being an extreme or outdated. The extremes being either too simple and lacking any sort of depth at all or just plain full of flames and rude posts/people. No sense at all in leaving either of those open. Especially when it's a case of not enough details and discussion the mods 90% of the time will allow a new thread with the same name, or that one to be re-opened if it's revamped shall we say. It's not like there are no second chances.

The other big instance of locked threads are the very old necropost threads. Seriously, if the topic is more then 4-6 months old just make a new one. Stirring discussion up in a 1, 2 or 3 year old thread is just pointless. Obviously that thread died. Start fresh.

I don't see how locking such threads is disappointing. Disappointing would be leaving such threads open longer to allow pointless posts or ignorant attacks towards each other. It's also in the actual rules here threads should carry some sort of minimal intelligence and actual discussion so waiting to see an irrelevant thread develop violates that rule simple as that. I can assure you there is no secret mod locking quota, and I would dare to say they all would prefer NOT having to lock threads at all if people would simply follow the easy to read rules. I remember when there were only 2 active moderators here. They need more now simply because more and more people can't seem to follow those rules. That and a few previous mods have burned out and gone postal so they needed to be replaced by new models before any murdering rampages started.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

It's also in the actual rules here threads should carry some sort of minimal intelligence and actual discussion so waiting to see an irrelevant thread develop violates that rule simple as that. I can assure you there is no secret mod locking quota, and I would dare to say they all would prefer NOT having to lock threads at all if people would simply follow the easy to read rules. I remember when there were only 2 active moderators here. They need more now simply because more and more people can't seem to follow those rules. That and a few previous mods have burned out and gone postal so they needed to be replaced by new models before any murdering rampages started.

Maybe then anime could get it's very own Jack Thompson Laughing .

Where we diverge then is that I think it's kind of vague (perhaps purposefully so) to say there needs to be "minimal intelligence" and so on. All that really means is that if x mod doesn't agree with the direction it's going the thread gets an axe. And from the post-related thread, it's clear that mod criteria is variable even among the same individuals decisions. It's an area that deserves some attention although I think realistically the bottom line is "git 'er done" and just do the best with the way things are.

It's very apparent that threads that derail, go on huge tangeants, and devolve into nonsense aren't kosher at ANN. I couldn't tell you why if you asked me though. Is it an image thing? Perhaps that would affect the forum's environment? I can only speculate. I do occasionally enjoy a rampaging tidal wave of internet rabies however; what with the moderation working to counteract that often well before a climax I can't say I always walk away without some regret. You seem to be on the other side of that equation though, so have a go at telling me what the big picture is there.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:28 am Reply with quote
No, we have no thread-stomping quota or great superpowers we want to exploit. Frankly, if I go a day without issuing a warning or removing a thread then I'm happy. Being a mod is about improving the environment of the forums. Now obviously there's going to be differing opinions on how to do that, so we can't please everyone, nor do we try since it's an impossible goal.

Most of us mods have been around long enough to know how things end up when "allowed to finish". The rules are to keep discussions intact and promote those discussions. When someone comes in and starts tossing insults then obviously they need to go. When everyone starts tossing insults and the thread becomes more about personal conflicts and intolerance than that thread is just going to be locked. As far as we're concerned, when a thread reaches that point then it already has run its course and reached its end, and the conflict is just the end result of people facing the reality that not everyone is going to see things their way. That's just one possible example, but it makes the point.

Soapboxing and thread derailing is another frequent issue. The soapboxing is primarily due to a number of users who take any and every minor mention of a certain subject as an excuse to spam that thread with their rants, which has the unfortunate side-effect of turning the discussion away from the threads intended topic and makes it about them. This tends to just create a bunch of noise that drowns out those that are still trying to discuss the threads initial topic, and it also frightens away new posters from chiming in on that topic. There's a create post button if you want to talk about another topic, whether it's somewhat related or unrelated. If you can't do that because it's not anime related, then that's part of the problem with the derailment in the first place. This is an anime forum, not a religious, science or political forum.

As you said, threads that derail or devolve in to nonsense aren't kosher. However, huge tangents are certainly allowed and even encouraged as long as you remain civil to the users you're debating with, and don't use the tangent as an excuse to derail the thread to another topic. There are many threads with long tangents or rants that we have no issues with because that comes with the territory when people are debating a subject. There are many posters that are known for their long rants and heavy debates that I've never had to moderate or take action against because there is nothing wrong with that in itself. We want people to discuss topics and have debates.

The bottom line is that we're trying to promote civil discussion, and the rules are primarily in place to better ensure the health of the threads. As I said initially, there is no way we're going to possibly please everyone. If I don't take action on a reported thread then I'm angering the person who sent the report. If I do take action then I'm likely angering the people whose behavior was reported. I probably do not take action on just as many reports as I take action on, so just because someone reports something doesn't mean the mods are automatically going to act, every report is investigated before anything is done.

It'd be great if the rules and moderation could be set up so that everyone would be happy, but that's not realistic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1