• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note's 2nd opening

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I heard it for the first time last Saturday, as I'm sure those of us who watch Adult Swim all did. What's your opinion?

Personally, I cannot stand death metal. It's one genre I don't enjoy much.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Most people seem to think they're saying the "f-word" in that song, but I hear they're actually saying something that just sounds like the "f-word." Is this true?

Quote:
Personally, I cannot stand death metal. It's the worst genre of music to date.

While I'm no fan of death metal either, I'd say hip-hop is worse, in my humble opinion.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there was another topic that talked about that. I listened very carefully. It does not sound like the f-word at all. I don't know what that person was talking about.

For some reason, I can tolerate hip-hop in very small doses
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Thing is, the second OP hardly qualifies as Death Metal. With that said I do hate it with a passion, probably because I was so fond of the first OP. As much as I dislike the second OP I admit that it fits the latest episodes of the series spoiler[the sense of chaos and disorganization that it adds coupled with a certain fall from grace that distinguished the more or less Idealistic setting of the first OP are a perfect match to Light's state of mind as he becomes more and more of a mass murderer and less and less a person that, at one point at least, wanted to bring justice to the world]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Then what would you call it?
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Most people seem to think they're saying the "f-word" in that song, but I hear they're actually saying something that just sounds like the "f-word." Is this true?

I refer you to this post I made in the Death Note AS thread. The word in question is actually 不安か (fuanka) but the way it's said makes it sound like "f*****." Of course this was probably on purpose because the f-word does appear toward the end of the song.

belvadeer wrote:
Then what would you call it?

I'd say more along the lines of metalcore, some thrash in there too.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for clearing both questions up Leo :3
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

I refer you to this post I made in the Death Note AS thread. The word in question is actually 不安か (fuanka) but the way it's said makes it sound like "f*****." Of course this was probably on purpose because the f-word does appear toward the end of the song.

I believe it is. Thanks.
AznJazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

I believe it is. Thanks.

Funny Stuff, Funny Stuff
retty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

It's the worst genre of music to date.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Every music genre has it's crap, but no genre is any worse than the other. I don't like much metal but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate the good stuff.

As for the second opening, I much prefer it to the first. The crazyness and the quickening of the pace towards the end, combined with the animation suit the series much better. Plus I found the first song really boring. Although I'm not sure about that bit where L is doing some weird kick in the air. L isn't kicky, he just sits in his chair eating sweets...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

That's pretty much it, yah:

Quote:
(...)
HEYHEY! 人間賛歌 愛逃げ 人間不安か?
(...)
HEYHEY! 人間SU×××!! 嗚呼 人間…人間FU×××!!

Or, in romaji:
Quote:

HEYHEY ningen sanka ainige ningen fuan ka?
(...)
HEYHEY ningen SUXXX!! aa ningen... ningen FUXXX!!

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
retty wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

It's the worst genre of music to date.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Every music genre has it's crap, but no genre is any worse than the other. I don't like much metal but it doesn't mean I can't appreciate the good stuff.

As for the second opening, I much prefer it to the first. The crazyness and the quickening of the pace towards the end, combined with the animation suit the series much better. Plus I found the first song really boring. Although I'm not sure about that bit where L is doing some weird kick in the air. L isn't kicky, he just sits in his chair eating sweets...

Well excuse me for not catering to your sensitivities. Rolling Eyes

I find it gives me a headache at times.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Veoryn87 wrote:
While I'm no fan of death metal either, I'd say hip-hop is worse, in my humble opinion.

No such thing as horrible genres, only horrible aritsts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Where's all the metal hate coming from? It might not be my favorite genre either (I listen mostly to rock for your information), but their is plenty of extremely talented band of death around and even if you dislike the the vocals and instrumentals you cannot deny that you have to be talented to sing (otherwise they wouldn't be able to sing ever again after a year) and play like they do. Back on topic I don't particularly love Death Note's second opening (oh, it's not that bad, it's just not very good either), but I certainly like it a whole lot better than the first which was, in my opinion, pretty bad. And I do agree with NocturnalUX on how it fits with the series evolution.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

No such thing as horrible genres, only horrible aritsts.

That is a much better way to put it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6