• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Humanity Has Declined (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
This series is losing my confidence now. I enjoyed the first third or so of the last episode, to a point, but I'm getting annoyed that it really hasn't gone anywhere since the end of the factory arc.

Gone anywhere? Where do you expect it to go? Did you ever watch Kino's Journey? These are just short 2 episode vignettes. If you're expecting this show to go somewhere in terms of a structured story then I'm afraid that you're watching the wrong show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
I think I missed that, that the Ringo Kid spoiler[was actually Watashi's grandfather], but it seems like such genius now.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
It's real subtle since they don't replay any of the foreshadowing dialogue from the last episode. I thought spoiler[he was the assistant] as well until she spoiler[told her grandfather he stole the thing].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I would say it was the best episode since the first arc at least. Watashi gets spoiler[stuck having to look after some gloomy fairies, and by chance ending up on a small island on a lake. Within a week they build a great nation, which is destroyed due to a to being too prosperous, the thing being that it was her own fault this time. Becoming their queen and being treated like their god.]

What I really like is when the fairies say an off hand remark that is actually a little scary. My favorite bit was when the fairy was showing her the plant, and starts acting funny, spoiler[before finding out that he just made a narcotic plant, of which she orders his arrest very quickly.] Laughing And the bit about the origin of her clothes, I don't think her grandfather would e happy to learn that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think I missed that, that the Ringo Kid spoiler[was actually Watashi's grandfather], but it seems like such genius now.

Wait, I'm confused. The Ringo Kid was not spoiler[the assistant?] Are you sure? Why would Watashi meet spoiler[a child version of her grandfather?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wait, I'm confused. The Ringo Kid was not spoiler[the assistant?] Are you sure? Why would Watashi meet spoiler[a child version of her grandfather?]

Remember the Grandfather mentioning spoiler[that he got sundial/watch from a young lady, it is no where to be seen at the end of episode, that was how he got it,] it is Natsu no Arashi's milk paradox all over again. The fairies also mentioned her spoiler[going too far back, and possibly that the Grandfather could identify the Time Paradog.]
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
this ep.9

spoiler[
so much FAIRIES on this ep only missing is this guy http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm8c1mEtRi1qemvsho1_500.gif

main got send fairy to own island with stuck going survivor the fairies edition to fairies make main the queen of island yea keep multiply a lot wonder how they make fairies?

all doing well bit what like outfit made to spider to a fairy wet itself really yet all good til all sad til so much cloud & rain from the fairies.

indeed rise & fall or fairy island this week.
]

to the next fairy eps.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Remember the Grandfather mentioning spoiler[that he got sundial/watch from a young lady, it is no where to be seen at the end of episode, that was how he got it,] it is Natsu no Arashi's milk paradox all over again. The fairies also mentioned her spoiler[going too far back, and possibly that the Grandfather could identify the Time Paradog.]

Yep, this is the the only sensible interpretation given what the Grandfather said about the sundial watch and implying he was a skirt chaser when he was young, and what the fairies said about one of the versions of the banana. I didn't catch it at first, either, but soon as it clicked it all made sense.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Okay, so then the Assistant spoiler[is actually the younger version of Grandpa and now exists in the same period?] And so the Ringo Kid was basically spoiler[feeling up his own grand-daughter?] Kinky.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Okay, so then the Assistant spoiler[is actually the younger version of Grandpa and now exists in the same period?] And so the Ringo Kid was basically spoiler[feeling up his own grand-daughter?] Kinky.

lolol no spoiler[if you noticed in the episode where she meets the Ringo Kid, she never sees her grandfather or meets the doctor. She just goes into town and meets him. She went into the past, due to the malfunctioning banana, and gives him the sundial.]

Keep in mind that everyone kept saying that the assistant spoiler[didn't have a personality] and it was pretty obvious they were talking about him. What I didn't get is why suddenly they decided to spoiler[jump back in time with regards to the story] without at least making a point of eluding to having done that. But this show is so all over the place I suppose it's par for course lol.

Personally I love this show. And for the record, I didn't catch that it was spoiler[her grandfather] until I read this thread Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess part of the confusion is that Ringo the Kid and the Assistant kind of look similar, don't they? Then there was the whole confusion over Hawaiian shirts. Personally, I think they kind of made a hash of it, but on the other hand, I guess I wasn't paying super close attention, either.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
After an episode that felt to me like spinning its wheels and wasting a premise, this show is back to being good and in grand style.

There's something obviously, delightfully amusing about the usually almost pathologically cheerful faeries being morbidly depressed.

This episode had a lot of the wry absurdity that made me like this series in the first place. The prominence the manically industrious, mercurial faeries to the story seems to be proportionate to how good an episode is. I was pleased that this episode avoided some of the more obvious pitfalls of the scenario, such as having Watashi become an outright tyrant, and just let faeries be faeries. (My favorite bit was the 'new kind of sundew') It also felt like we got to see a little more range in Watashi's personality.

I wonder if the creators have ever read Jared Diamond's Collapse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
I was actually kinda disappointed with this episode cause sure the satire is back but there was no insane fairy creativity.I have already seen Simpsons and South Park episode!!
Takanashi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
I disagree with you on this point danilo07

spoiler[I do not agree with you on this point. We have seen the birth and death of an entire civilization in this episode in 10 days. This is what I call insane. Besides the behavior of fairies, like the one with the narcotic. Watashi in the position of the ruler was also intersting compared to the last two episodes. ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

So we got to see Watashi's first days on the job, and it still among some of the better stuff than some of the other episodes. Despite choosing the job because it looked spoiler[easy, she was enthusiastic about her role as a mediator. Her Grandfather let he find out that directly getting involved sends them out of control, but not without her kidnapping some.] I kind of like how she does some hasty things, it makes her feel, well human.

Her joke about spoiler[eating them seems like the sort of thing she thought was a good idea in her head, that worked out pretty badly (funnily). She went through the trouble of having some names: Cap, Nakata, Sir Christopher McFarlane, and Sir Chikuwa (apparently fishpaste, he named himself). But it seems that only Nakata was able to greet Watashi at the new world, the only explanation being "they surrendered",] only guess what that means.

But before the end she also spoiler[ended up as god of the fairies, knowing that it would probably be a bad idea to go any further, she ended up destroying their civilization by passing the baton. Too bad she could not keep that statue.] I guess some of this taught her to be like she is in the rest of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10