• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Aggregator Site Hosts Removed Scans Again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
@v1cious, well, as the WIRED article states it only passed "Senate Committe."

"COICA must still be approved by the full House and Senate before becoming law. A vote is unlikely before the new year."
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Either way, we all know it's going through.

Should you be right, then this means 2011 will be filled with even more "but... but... but it's against the law, so no matter what, you're wrong for doing it and you're causing artists to starve to death" posts to which I get to roll my eyes at.

Should be entertaining, to say the least. Looking forward to it.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh, joy. Another broadly worded anti-copyright bill in the vein of the DMCA, except this one holds the possibility of internet censorship in the US.

Assuming this actually passes next year (and that's not a given - there is opposition to it in the general Congress), it's going to immediately get challenged in federal court.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Guardsman Bass wrote:
Oh, joy. Another broadly worded anti-copyright bill in the vein of the DMCA, except this one holds the possibility of internet censorship in the US.

Assuming this actually passes next year (and that's not a given - there is opposition to it in the general Congress), it's going to immediately get challenged in federal court.

Not to get too political, but the whole election we had in the USA was more on the platforms of less big government, less spending, and putting people to work. A bill concerning copyrights won't be a high of a priority.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8