• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anti-Piracy Act from U.S. Congress Leaked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asellus

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Nice. Its not nice for citizens to take other peoples property, but its swell for the government to do so.

I guess that clears things up.

QFT!

I don't pirate anime or anything however I have a big problem with the government voting themselves more power. (and money...remember they can vote themselves more money)
Mmsven

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
Anime is expensive. Also, I don't think everything Japan anally evacuates is made of gold like some weeaboos do. Half of the anime in the 7 rating range on ANN are complete garbage. I've already wasted enough money on some of the worst entertainment products ever (Shadow Skill Eigi) in the past. Unless you have low standards or have a $50/h job, "try it before you buy it" is the only way to go, and I do buy it if it's any good. If piracy is really cracked down upon then I'd just stop watching anime because I don't have enough money to waste. No, Funimation, 4 episodes isn't enough to judge a full series, since even Shadow Skill Eigi starts off decently.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
Except that there are several different ways to legally watch a series for free, such as on the website of the licensing company, Hulu, Crunchyroll, Netflix, youtube, and Anime News Network
Mmsven

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Except that there are several different ways to legally watch a series for free, such as on the website of the licensing company, Hulu, Crunchyroll, Netflix, youtube, and Anime News Network

I don't like watching subs unless the dub is horrible. Subs significantly lessen my enjoyment sometimes. Hulu doesn't even work in Canada.

Also,
Quote:
No, Funimation, 4 episodes isn't enough to judge a full series, since even Shadow Skill Eigi starts off decently.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:

I don't like watching subs unless the dub is horrible. Subs significantly lessen my enjoyment sometimes. Hulu doesn't even work in Canada.

http://www.funimation.com does, as does CrunchyRoll, many of ANN's streams, and Bandai, RightStuf,Funi and MB's Youtube accounts.

Also, dvd's are pretty affordable in Canada. Plus, w/RS you get free shipping over 150$
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:
Also,
Quote:
No, Funimation, 4 episodes isn't enough to judge a full series, since even Shadow Skill Eigi starts off decently.

No, a 1:30 trailer for X-men first class isn't enough to judge the whole movie, since most trailers are supposed to look good. I have every right to pirate that movie and watch it THEN decide whether I feel like paying or not. Yeah, okay. In fact a 4 episode "trailer" is quite nice of funi, not to mention all the series they put up FOR FREE in their entirety.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Mmsven wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Wait... did you just use not liking subs as an excuse to watch fansubs?

Not being able to get legal subs in your country is a different issue, though as Paploo said, there are other options. I think most if not all of the stuff on Hulu can be viewed from Funimation's website, which apparantly works in Canada (or at least the new site does).
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I find this absolutely disgusting. I will love the fact that the creators behind this bullshit bill won't be seeing any improvement. People pirate mostly because of expensive prices or its not available in their country. People will start using underground programs or servers to get what they want too. Just because you shut down a pirate site does not mean the person would buy anything legally.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
I find this absolutely disgusting. I will love the fact that the creators behind this bullshit bill won't be seeing any improvement. People pirate mostly because of expensive prices or its not available in their country. People will start using underground programs or servers to get what they want too. Just because you shut down a pirate site does not mean the person would buy anything legally.

The ones that are a problem are the people who pirate for PROFIT. That is a problem. In a perfect world, everything would be available for good prices and never be out of print.

We understand that some people don't have a choice because they are not able to get something in their region, but those who pirated for the sake of giving the finger to the groups who created the item needs to be dealt with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

The ones that are a problem are the people who pirate for PROFIT. That is a problem. In a perfect world, everything would be available for good prices and never be out of print.

We understand that some people don't have a choice because they are not able to get something in their region, but those who pirated for the sake of giving the finger to the groups who created the item needs to be dealt with.

Or just not bother since there is really no way to stop piracy completely. The people who pirate just because they can don't matter. They would have most likely never bought the product in the first place so there would be no lost sale.
Monad

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm just gonna post some comments in a discussion i had in another forum about piracy.

Lightyear8684 wrote:
metamorphius wrote:
Monad wrote:
Don't fool yourself people. Piracy ain't killing anything. Piracy is a blessing to the poor. People with out money can have the privilege of seeing a few things they can't buy.
Rich fucks have enough to buy anything they want and they wouldn't bother not buying something they like by replacing it with a pirate copy. If i had a few millions i would buy all sorts of shit.

The battle against piracy is nothing but another oppression of the elitist not tolerating poor people being able to get a little of the joy that they think they only should have the privilege to have.

All hail Monad! You are speaking the very truth Smile

Personally, if I couldn't download anime from the Internet I wouldn't be watching them at all (since no TV station in my country airs anime and I certainly wouldn't be buying anime from Amazon, I have other priorities). And I believe it's a similar case for many other people.

The following is not so much prominent when it comes to the anime industry but I find it funny when big companies from the gaming/music industry come up with insane numbers showing how much money they supposedly lose to piracy. the amounts are ridiculous because they tend to equal pirating to their sale loss e.i. a downloaded copy of a CD/game/movie=a copy not sold. Sure, they lose money, but, most of the people who pirate either can't afford to buy things they download or wouldn't want to spend money on them or both. Ergo, were it not for the joys of the Internet many of us simply wouldn't have all those anime/games/music/movies/whatevaaa.

Also, piracy is doing a lot in promoting anime.

This and one more time this, couldn't be more clearer...

Monad wrote:
Excelsior wrote:
To be honest, this topic annoys me. Everytime this topic comes up, there's a flood of posts trying to justify their piracy or posts that work around the issue or posts that are filled with euphemisms and what not. Saying something like "I'm poor, therefore it's OK for me to pirate" makes no sense to me. That's the sort of justification criminals make; I stole from the bank because I'm poor, I killed this man to steal his money because I'm poor, or whatever.
And I don't buy the whole "It's not stealing if it's not physical property" thing either. In that case, if I copied a song note for note, word for word, and sold it, it wouldn't be stealing? Because nothing was physically taken? And even if piracy isn't stealing, does that mean it is less wrong than stealing or better than it or what?

Comparing a criminal to a guy who downloads a copy is bathetic. If i break into your house and steal your things, your car and money then you will lose something. You will suffer because of my actions you won't even be able to go to your job the next morning. Who exactly suffers when a poor guy downloads something he can't buy? No one. The rich guy who bought the BD hasn't lost his copy, he still has it and the company hasn't lost anything since the guy would have been forced to live without it if he couldn't download it. So the only thing that really happens is that some poor bastard got a little enjoyment he couldn't afford. And here we come that once again rich guys seem to dislike the fact that a poor guy got a little enjoyment that they believe it's their privilege to have only.
We all know that most of those downloads wouldn't be sales anyway, and even if a few of them where, the profit lost from that is gained back by the popularity given and the fact that some people buy it after liking what they saw in a pirate copy.

And yes it's not the same as stealing a material copy. If i go to a store and still a BD of a series from the self then that disc will never be sold and the company will lose the money it cost to make it and the sale of someone who was going to buy the disc but never found it since i stole it. With piracy such a thing can't happen. So as you see there is a big difference so cut the crap.

In the end is just rich guys feeling displeasure the poor can watch a few things despite being poor, they feel like they lose a little of their superiority, don't know if you are one of them but quite an evil attitude if you ask me.
As about the companies? They just don't like the fact that now their most prominent customers have the ability to check the work inside the fancy box before they buy it and not get tricked by a nice cover. Now they have to work and make a really great work that will be preferred over others instead of just some nice cover to trick people on buying some low budget shit and they don't like it. Well boohoo, lets cry over their drama of not being able to make suckers out of people.

Piracy only does good. The completely poor can now have a little pleasure in there nasty life, those with limited buying power can increase the value of their money by buying only the things they love and like since they can check and see if something is good and even the rich guys can save themselves of getting irritated after buying something new and realize it was complete shit and they shouldn't have bought it no matter how much they have.
The industry becomes better too. Because companies can't fool easily people who can check the work first. So now they have to work on what they do and it also helps promote the sales of good works since people already saw something was awesome and they want to support it. On the other hand smart marketing trying to promote crappy things becomes less effective since no matter how you advertise, if people can see the work is bad they won't be fooled and so another good thing happens with companies being forced to give more money to the creative process instead of stupid marketing tricks.
Not to mention that piracy also works as an incentive for companies to offer something nice when they make their BD/DVD package so the people who actually bought it don't feel like idiots.
Piracy Rocks!!!!

Last we have a living example of the lies the companies sell. The console wars. PS3 and X-Box 360 have very close console sales worldwide. The one went uncracked and without pirate games for many years and mostly it still does while the other got cracked immediately.
According to the crazy staff companies claim PS3 should have sold ten times the games X-Box 360 does. Yet the piracy made no difference at all. What more to you need to see that piracy destroying the industry is a bunch of lies?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:09 pm Reply with quote
...To prove your point, you've entered posts from other forums of people agreeing with you?

Wow.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that was pretty hilarious. Laughing

Quote:
"See? a whole buncha peeps on teh internets agrees w/ me!!"
Monad

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
...To prove your point, you've entered posts from other forums of people agreeing with you?

Wow.

I just posted the quotes as it was there for convenience, feel free to see the arguments instead of whether people agreed with me or not. Or is that too hard for you? Rolling Eyes
And btw two people agreed in those quotes and one disagreed, so yeah i don't exactly see the big list of people agreeing with me, all i see is you being a smartass.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Monad wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

Wow.

I just posted the quotes as it was there for convenience, feel free to see the arguments instead of whether people agreed with me or not. Or is that too hard for you? Rolling Eyes
And btw two people agreed in those quotes and one disagreed, so yeah i don't exactly see the big list of people agreeing with me, all i see is you being a smartass.

Problem is I don't see an argument worth commenting on. Just the same BS about how "pirating is totally good and my right and the Guvmint can't take it away from me!".

Thus, the fact that you're just either quoting people who're agreeing with you or just people whom you can slam down kind of sticks out.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9