• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Engaged To The Unidentified (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, he actually seemed to have finished it, and then wrecked it himself!
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale:

Overall a decent series. I didn't have much expectations originally for this show but the characters has this charm that got my interest for the majority of the run in particular Mashiro. Anyways, it had its good and bad moments. I wasn't into the 'romance' aspect of the show though, as in the latter half. Rather, the comedy aspect was what pleased me the most.

I also like how the show often have those silent moments to depict a more realistic mood. For the finale, spoiler[I'm glad everyone came again and Hakuya is once again the hero for his family. Nice.]

Benio's appearance was funny on that spoiler[helicopter]. Oh God, that was priceless.
Rating: good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
Last episode was a respectable ending though it lacked the fireworks I was hoping for.

Rated the show as Excellent.

Engaged to the Unidentified reinvigorated tired and cliched tropes by putting fresh twists on them and packing the show with some smart direction and loads of energy. Just as the best ingredients can be ruined by an incompetent chef, in the hands of a great chef unassuming ingredients can be cooked into a wonderful dish. In other words, it isn't necessarily what you have but rather what you do with it that counts in determining the quality of something (or lack thereof). In the case of Engaged to the Unidentified, it had all the makings of just another middling forgettable romcom, but because it was blessed with good staff it succeeded where others would have failed. I was very impressed with it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

And they managed to go against expectations again by spoiler[revealing that they were really just going back to pick some edible plants (the type Kobeni wanted to cook]), and Hakuya just kind of spoiler[failed in communicating]. Though we did get some scenes with Kobeni spoiler[in trouble so he got to show his heroism].

If I had to praise this series for something, it is that has managed to often surprise me, it will let me think it is going to be a cheesy romance scene, and will then decide to instead do its own thing. The sudden fiancé appearance really is a bit of a cliché in anime, but this did not feel like a fact at all. The series also seemed very happy to focus on the sister in law, Mashiro, someone who might be a more side character in the usual type of show, but here her personality was a like a centre of many jokes. And the jokes and Mashiro were enjoyable, I know they were using moe and all that, but it really did not feel intrusive here.

Hakuya does have a surprisingly small amount of presence in a series where he is the only male character and main love interest, just have to look at the ED where he has the part of a tree, and only appears at the end of the OP. But I would not say he was that unexplored, there always one constant, that he would do everything for Kobeni, even if he had no clue. Benio was in the show too, and I guess she was one of my favourite aspects, I think she is a little pandering but if you could stand her she was fun. Also on pandering, there is no fanservice, the OP really had more than the entire series, even Mashiro being shown as a loli character and talking about Kobeni's hips really did not do anything.

Overall, a big surprise, but despite it all I think that it was still limited by not going anywhere serious with the romance, and not having many powerful scenes. And maybe our bar for cuteness had been risen last season. I rate it Very Good, you might think it is something easy to pass over, but really can surprise you. Probably one of the shows I might miss.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Yes, when spoiler[lost in the mountains, back up to the edge of a cliff] for no apparent reason.

Though I didn't get as much of the backstory as I was hoping for, this was a pleasant enough diversion and had its moments, mostly anytime Hakuya was around. I'm slightly on the positive side of the fence about it, which I guess means they did a good job, since this is the sort of series I'd normally hate. Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
...since this is the sort of series I'd normally hate. Smile

This is true for me as well. I don't do too well with zany romcom series, especially ones with surprise arranged marriages and bratty little sisters and childhood promises and all that baggage. The fact that I not only could tolerate this show but actually love it and look forward to each new episode week in week out speaks volumes for its quality.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I am also giving it a firm Excellent and may up my letter grade on it to an A- if I do a follow-up review. Even though I found the final episode almost entirely predictable beyond a certain point, I still was impressed by how well it was executed.

And yeah, I'll agree that the romantic aspect was never the series' strongest suit. But it didn't need to be because the show had plenty enough other likable aspects to carry it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This was my favorite winter series, not counting the 2-cour ones. I really loved how they handled the cliches. Both of the op and ed songs are catchy songs. I am also giving this an Excellent.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much more to add. All shows like this need to be are cute, colourful, and fun. Not only does the show excell at that, it doesn't settle for being only that.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I found it interesting that no one transformed. The closest they came was a vague shadow on a flashback that could be a dog or wolf head. I wanted to know if Kobeni could learn to transform and if everyone was of the same type. Mashiro and the blond had yellow eyes and I wondered if that was significant.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The closest they came was a vague shadow on a flashback that could be a dog or wolf head.

An entire family of wolf people who couldn't track a slow-moving girl leaving footprints in the snow. Sheesh.

Oh, well. I had fun and some good moments of entertainment when I needed it the most. I would wish for a 2nd season if I didn't feel they would have too hard of a time of living up to the level of this one.

Excellent from me, as well.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
An entire family of wolf people who couldn't track a slow-moving girl leaving footprints in the snow. Sheesh.

That made me facepalm too. These wolf/dog people are trained in ninja arts, can move at super speed and traverse difficult terrain by simply jumping over it, yet when looking for a feverish girl they move at a snail's pace as if they were out for a Sunday stroll.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Rated this series a very firm good. I just finished the last episode and I still have the warm-fuzzies from it. This show is small in scale and ambition, but really sweet and hopelessly charming. Mashiro was my favorite character by the end but I like the main couple a lot too. Benio was my least favorite but she provided all the best laughs, so I can't hate her too much. Definitely one of this season's surprises for me and I'm glad I watched it.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
Don't really have anything to add to what everyone else has already said, but I rated it Excellent. I looked forward to this every week and am sad that it's over. It could have been one of the most cliché and cheesy shows ever, but instead it was cute and fun and left me with a nice warm fuzzy feeling after every episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
A solid show, I rated it Good. I had to ding it for a general lack of development, especially in the Kobeni-Dog Boy front. The show started out with Kobeni mildly opposed to the idea of her arranged engagement and ended with her basically in favour of it, but still in her low-key Kobeni way. Not much of an arc there.

The show had a lot of good humour, though, and fun characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9