• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
The police case in Shirou's neighbourhood should have nothing to do with spoiler[Bazette.] From the game, it's just spoiler[Caster stocking up provisions for the upcoming war.]

spoiler[Bazette] only turns up in the fandisc, in the original game she's mentioned very fleetingly.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
All three paths to Fate were written at the same time by the same person and were in the same game. However, you *could not* play through UBW without first having played through SN. Thus, UBW *assumes* that the reader/viewer/audience is familiar with the events of SN (and only those events). That knowledge helps increase the appreciation, through means like compare-and-contrast, of the events of each successive story.

F/Z didn't exist with F/SN was made, and that includes the game, the anime, and the UBW movie. However, it did exist before this current series, which as we all know was handled by the same studio. So, the question for me is how much did ufotable utilize the events of F/Z for this series? So far as I can tell: so far, not a bit. Those who have seen only F/Z may think that there have been shout-outs to F/Z, but there hasn't been any... yet. If the UBW series sticks as close to the source material as it has so far, then the same assumption from the game will be carried forth: namely, a familiarity with the SN path, and that's it.

Lastly, I should point out that F/Z utlized plot points which are only described in the Heaven's Feel (HF) route, and are only alluded to, if even that, in the SN or even UBW routes. This means that F/Z will spoil you for things that happen in these routes.

IMO, ideally you want to watch the SN route before watching UBW, only the SN anime kind of messed that up a bit by tossing aspects of the other routes into it (not too many, though). Still, the F/SN series spoils UBW less than F/Z does, so even though it's not as high a quality anime as one would hope, it's still decent and watchable (at least once).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The problem I see with a "spoilers" thread is this: where does one draw the line? What about people who have seen F/Z but not the original anime series or the movie version of UBW? Will details from the game be allowed to be untagged, too, even though far less people have been exposed to those?

I would say just make one thread strictly spoiler free of anything for new watchers and make one thread anything goes for those familiar with the VN or UBW movie. As for people who've only seen Zero...well they will just have to choose which suits them best. They can stay in the spoiler free thread and just not talk about Zero or they can go into the spoiler thread and risk spoilers. Honestly though, I think Zero will be the least problematic. The source material here predates Zero. Zero may well change a few things to tie them together a bit more but I really don't think Zero is going to come up in a meaningful way.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
So, the question for me is how much did ufotable utilize the events of F/Z for this series? So far as I can tell: so far, not a bit. Those who have seen only F/Z may think that there have been shout-outs to F/Z, but there hasn't been any... yet.

There have been shoutouts to F/Z. From the top of my head, spoiler[Tokiomi's catalyst, Rin meeting Sakura in Episode 0 carries a different vibe, expanded flashback about Kiritsugu finding Shirou, more emphasis on Kiritsugu being screwed up, Saber reacting to the name "Emiya".]

Considering the thread splitting. Suppose you make a thread for those who are not familiar with the vn or Deen anime. People who've seen it will still go there and someone sooner or later will still be too lazy or stupid to put spoiler tags. Let's at least see if the show intends to be upfront about things known from F/Z. This far it has only been bits and pieces and I think it will stay that way.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The police case in Shirou's neighbourhood should have nothing to do with spoiler[Bazette.] From the game, it's just spoiler[Caster stocking up provisions for the upcoming war.]

spoiler[Bazette] only turns up in the fandisc, in the original game she's mentioned very fleetingly.

Maybe it was the manga, then? I know one version I've seen had a news report fairly early about a home invasion attack, where spoiler[someone had their hand cut off], which was spoiler[Kotomine killing Bazette] to spoiler[steal Lancer]

jl07045 wrote:
There have been shoutouts to F/Z. From the top of my head, spoiler[Tokiomi's catalyst,]

I'll give you this one.

Quote:
spoiler[Rin meeting Sakura in Episode 0 carries a different vibe,]

Any prior knowledge of spoiler[their relationship] will let you read more into that than there is. The scene was expanded on, yes, but probably more to spoiler[prepare you for the Heaven's Feel movie(s?)] than anything relating to F/Z.

Quote:
spoiler[expanded flashback about Kiritsugu finding Shirou,]

Expanded from what was originally in that scene, yes, but nothing that wasn't clearly established in the VN.

Quote:
spoiler[more emphasis on Kiritsugu being screwed up,]

I didn't see that.

Quote:
spoiler[Saber reacting to the name "Emiya".]

Nope, that was there in the VN.

I still don't see what the problem with just marking spoilers is. This isn't a case like stuff airing on US TV where people are at two different points in the story. If it hasn't been shown in the series yet, regardless of its origin, mark it as spoilers. If someone "slips", report the post, and the mods will add in the spoiler tag.

IIRC, general policy is that, unless it's directly related to the show being discussed, other shows/versions aren't even supposed to be brought up (like what happens in the manga in an anime thread, etc). I believe that it was explicitly stated in the F/Z thread, when people brought up stuff from F/sn, even.

We're watching the UBW anime. We're discussing the UBW anime. Unless it explicitly pertains to the UBW anime, and is being brought up in conjunction with what's happening in the series, I see no reason why the VN, the first anime, the UBW movie, the F/Z novels, or the F/Z anime are relevant at all.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:23 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Quote:
spoiler[Rin meeting Sakura in Episode 0 carries a different vibe,]

Any prior knowledge of spoiler[their relationship] will let you read more into that than there is.

Why is there a bigger reason to tie-in with Heaven's Feel than give a shoutout to Zero fans? The scene is so mundane most people won't remember it when HF comes out.

Quote:
Quote:
spoiler[expanded flashback about Kiritsugu finding Shirou,]

Expanded from what was originally in that scene, yes, but nothing that wasn't clearly established in the VN.

spoiler[It was established later on and more gradually. At the start Kiritsugu was described as just this father figure that saved Shirou and took him in. His personality was described as a goofball with a hint of bad past. More was revealed later as necessary for Shirou's character development or revelations about 4th War.] Considering how faithful currently the adaptation is to the original, my guess is that they're adjusting the story a bit for Zero.

Quote:
Quote:
spoiler[Saber reacting to the name "Emiya".]

Nope, that was there in the VN.

spoiler["…I'm Shirou. My name is Emiya Shirou, and I live in this house." [..]
"……"
The girl… Saber just stares at me without changing her expression.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:53 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

We're watching the UBW anime. We're discussing the UBW anime. Unless it explicitly pertains to the UBW anime, and is being brought up in conjunction with what's happening in the series, I see no reason why the VN, the first anime, the UBW movie, the F/Z novels, or the F/Z anime are relevant at all.

And after watching episode two of UBW, the UBW movie started playing automatically for me; It is impossible to separate them.

They are all relevant because they're the reasons why this damn show exists in the first place. And it's easier to talk about that because there's nothing to talk about the series even if it's already had 80% of the movie's runtime.

Episode 2.

I did not miss Taiga, I did not miss Sakura from the movie {...} and I could use a lot less of them here. Repeating scenes from Shirou's point of view: ok until they cut back to Rin's reaction shot to an unknowing Shirou which ruined the whole point of it and showed what the real reason for all this was: Filling in time. No, please, let us have another talk about "command seals", we already had one where the mage should have already known so now let's cut short the one who actually needed the exposition... and make it a plot point.

What have we learned from Episode 2, I mean 1? Taiga's annoying and Sakura's also annoying only less obnoxious about it. Oh, there was a spoiler[murder] where spoiler[three people were killed]?. Oh, a spoiler[mass murder] or was there only one as only one was shown? Well, something happened.

And the archery club is in a dojo where there's also a kendo club... I think? Did it ever come up exactly or was it just a given that Shirou spent time in the club {a non-member of that club was being protected by the track club president, another nonmember?; I'm sure it all makes sense somewhere, just not here} or dojo? And he was trained in the dojo by Taiga {...}... and it was the shinai rather than sword or...

You know, for all this exposition, they're not explaining anything. "Trace on!"; Yeah, it's spoiler[the short of thing you do when you make an inferior copy, put tracing paper on something and make a pretty miserable picture.] {And all this is a spoiler but it isn't as it's inherent in the word "trace".} Which just raises the question in my mind that if it's a spell like Slayers "Fireball" then what's the big deal about it spoiler[from the first episode?].

This is only from the first episode, I mean first two episodes; This is going to get messy as we discuss the logical flaws in one show, how it compares to its original, how it compares to its side story and how it works with its prequel. Because it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

"Not a sequel, not a prequel but an equal." They wish, I wish. But Five stars, sure, in some world.

Do I like it? Meh. I got the actions scenes {with actual stakes!} and music in the movie. Here, I'm bored.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Perhaps it's my memory failing me, but the fire scene is mentioned in the original game. Shirou uses the memory of spoiler[Kiritsugu standing over him] as well as other conversations with Kiritsugu as a motivational spur for the future. The only difference being Fate/Zero fleshed out the scene in more exacting detail.

Edit: Found the scene. 9th February. Fate route (?!)
Source: Visual Story.

Maybe so, but I'm pretty sure, the music theme playing during that scene was very close to the F/Z soundtrack (The Beginning of the End is the name of that particular piece, I believe). So, even though the events weren't invented by F/Z, they're trying to keep the prequel's mood if they are using the same melodies here.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:54 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
So, the question for me is how much did ufotable utilize the events of F/Z for this series? So far as I can tell: so far, not a bit. Those who have seen only F/Z may think that there have been shout-outs to F/Z, but there hasn't been any... yet.

There have been shoutouts to F/Z. From the top of my head, spoiler[Tokiomi's catalyst, Rin meeting Sakura in Episode 0 carries a different vibe, expanded flashback about Kiritsugu finding Shirou, more emphasis on Kiritsugu being screwed up, Saber reacting to the name "Emiya".]

Those "shoutouts" were in the game.

spoiler[ Catalyst: Yes. Game even mentions that the jewel was one of Rin's most prized bequests from her father. The bit about opening up the chest on her own is new. Even the first anime series featured the catalyst.
Rin with Sakura: The archery scene is new. The bit with the papers was in the game.
Kiritsugu finding Shirou: I gave my argument showing the scene where this was based from. It's been expanded in more detail here.
Saber reacting to Emiya: She doesn't. Amnesia is annoying but reading too much into blank expressions after watching Fate/Zero isn't necessarily helpful. ]

Using similar music to Fate/Zero might bring back memories, but take it away and those familiar with the game will still recognise the scene. Comparing and contrasting isn't hard.

As for the manga adaptation, it was spoiler[originally meant to do UBW but got switched to the Fate route in the end. Also ludicrously delayed, even more so than the Tsukihime manga adaptation. It has some original features of its own, but nothing earth shattering]

@animegomaniac: You're bored, so why are you still watching the series when you've already dismissed it? If the whole objective is to post and complain how this series mirrors the movie and is "boring" in its exposition, then point taken but don't you have something else better to do?
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
jl07045 wrote:

Those "shoutouts" were in the game.

So were, some weren't (spoiler[I'm talking about the snakeskin, not the pendant]), none of them were exactly the same as in the visual novel, at least this early in the visual novel, and could be seen in a different light if you've watched F/Z. I don't see any argument why they couldn't be shoutouts to F/Z even if some aren't consciously so.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
If one were to take direct/indirect references to events referred to Fate/Zero for this series, then spoiler[the snakeskin] and the spoiler[choice of music for Shirou's monologue at the park] can just about make the grade.

I don't know if it's really necessary to reference every object and event seen in Fate/Zero to this adaptation and then call it a "direct sequel". My point stands in that the original story inspiring this work was written long before Fate/Zero was even conceived, ufotable studios are of course free to use artistic license to make linkages with their previous work since some aspects are relevant and help to flesh out links even though those were never authored by Kinoko Nasu but nevertheless carry his official seal of approval.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I only saw four eps of the original Fate anime. Is it okay to watch this one or will I be lost/spoiled?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I only saw four eps of the original Fate anime. Is it okay to watch this one or will I be lost/spoiled?

In the game, the UBW path isn't available until you finish the Stay Night (SN) path. While the Deen F/SN anime *did* use aspects of UBW and (a tiny bit of) Heaven's Feel, I don't think it is enough to cause any spoilering... not that you'd notice, anyway.

Effectively, the creator of F/SN intended his audience to have seen/read SN before UBW, so I don't see how having watched any amount of the Deen F/SN would spoil you for this current series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'm seriously getting sick of having to walk on egg shells because there's a slight chance someone might learn something they should already know by watching the prequel. You can't, and shouldn't, baby everyone.

But whatever.

And I'm sick of jerks deciding on their own what should and shouldn't be in spoiler tags. And take your odious and presumptuous attitude that there is "no excuse" for people not to have seen F/Z and stuff it. I have seen it but I sympathize with anyone who hasn't gotten around to it yet and I'd hate to have it spoiled for them just because some pinhead has decided they "should" have already seen it.

Oh and my sympathies on your broken hands which apparently make the task of using spoiler tags so onerous for you. Rolling Eyes

Thank you for the intelligent ruling, Key.

Anyway, I really liked this double length eppie, too. Damn, those fight scenes are good. I got chills when spoiler[Saber appeared]. I wonder if this version of F/SN is going to throttle back on Emiya's spoiler[obnoxious, "Oh Saber, I'm a puny human who can't protect you, but I'll interfere in your efforts to keep me alive and to win the Holy Grail War because I'm really just THAT intelligent" attitude that made him so annoying to watch] in the first F/SN anime.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Absolutely agreed with the last point, Blood-. Cool

And I don't think we need to spoiler-tag that Saber appears because we know that she does from episode 0.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 38