• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Idol Fined 650,000 Yen for Dating Contract Violation

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Just another demonstration of how the Idol industry is a disgusting, dehumanizing business built around catering to the delusional fantasies of a lot of sad little men and their absurd and deeply misogynistic notions of female purity. And by the way, you guys can carry on all you want about how she "signed a contract". If you're seriously gonna blame a teenager for failing to live up to this ridiculous clause while hand waving the larger circumstances that demand such contract clauses in the first place...well it says more about you as a person and your messed up priorities than anything else.

All I see is a bunch of Japan bashing. Nobody has any problem with teenagers signing their lives away joining the military. They lose more of their rights and freedoms than any Japanese Idol.

I have no problem with people not liking the industry, as long as they are willing to acknowledge that our country also has such clauses, which no one seems to complain about, until they are forced to in these topics.

But to me all this complaining I am hearing sounds like a bunch of western fans telling these Japanese Idols that they can't have their dreams and fame; knowing full well that if your ideas were implemented, all of the idol jobs would be over with, along with those girls dreams. Sure some of them would find other ways, but it would be a hard road. What other entertainment business, hires a bunch of recruits and trains them to sing and dance.

Lets be clear here. If there is no purity clauses, there will be no marketable idols, and thus no paying audience. There will be no jobs and you will have eliminated a means to enter the Japanese entertainment industry. So lets not tell ourselves any lies. It has been explained many times what supports this industry. Without it, there will be no paying audience, and thus no jobs.

So what you are really saying is, that you want the girls fired from their jobs and the industry closed down. You know, white knights riding into town to save all the girls from evil, then leaving after all your work is done and making all the survivors pick up the pieces afterward.

Yes, the clauses exist here and while they can be pretty bad, those are often for performers who are performing specifically for a young audience, basically kids and teens singing for kids and teens, they are both a performer and role model, idols are singing for primarily dirty old men and women who see the talent more as an expendable sex object and less for their actual talent.

The Idol industry can survive without chastity and no dating clauses with the proper education of the Otaku and some intervention from the Japanese government.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Perhaps you shouldn't have a daughter then. There's been enough fathers killing their daughters and other family members, in the news, to last me several life times.

Oh don't be so flippantly condescending, you know what they mean.

Oh, I thought we were living in the politically correct nanny state, where you aren't allowed to say such things.

But does it really matter what he meant. Crime dramas and reality forensic shows, show quite clearly that it is dangerous making claims of wanting to murder people, especially family members. His statement will now live forever on the internet, waiting for the day it can blossom on the newest episode of the Forensic Files.

So yes, you are correct. I was doing that and fully understood what he meant. It is still a idiotic thing to say and there will forever be a record that he said it. And as a father, I am tired of seeing all these father's kill their daughters and other family members. It really shouldn't be something young men say, lest they forget.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
And by the way, you guys can carry on all you want about how she "signed a contract". If you're seriously gonna blame a teenager for failing to live up to this ridiculous clause while hand waving the larger circumstances that demand such contract clauses in the first place...well it says more about you as a person and your messed up priorities than anything else.

There have been idols here in the U.S. that have, in a general sense, gotten much worse treatment than those in Japan. That's all I'm going to say on that.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Idol culture is disgusting. Marketing unrealistic portrayals of young girls to satisfy the unhealthy obsessions of delusional shut-ins. I hope Japan grows out of this garbage someday.
heliodorh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
TheTyrant wrote:
The judge went on to say "My idol should be pure-desu. A baka like you wouldn't understand that!"

Most legit summary ever.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Oh, I thought we were living in the politically correct nanny state, where you aren't allowed to say such things.

But does it really matter what he meant. Crime dramas and reality forensic shows, show quite clearly that it is dangerous making claims of wanting to murder people, especially family members. His statement will now live forever on the internet, waiting for the day it can blossom on the newest episode of the Forensic Files.

So yes, you are correct. I was doing that and fully understood what he meant. It is still a idiotic thing to say and there will forever be a record that he said it. And as a father, I am tired of seeing all these father's kill their daughters and other family members. It really shouldn't be something young men say, lest they forget.

Yep, enough internet for me for one day! lol
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Idol Culture. It's as ulgy as its always been.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Yes, the clauses exist here and while they can be pretty bad, those are often for performers who are performing specifically for a young audience, basically kids and teens singing for kids and teens, they are both a performer and role model, idols are singing for primarily dirty old men and women who see the talent more as an expendable sex object and less for their actual talent.

The Idol industry can survive without chastity and no dating clauses with the proper education of the Otaku and some intervention from the Japanese government.

Ah, I see how you ignored the military there.

That is not true, your forgetting about Charlie Sheen and many other actors and actresses who have such clauses to keep bad press away and to ensure that the actors and actresses don't harm themselves during production. Thinking you are also forgetting about all those sponsorship deals.

It all boils down to, when Japan does it, it is evil. But when America does it, we make excuses.

Let's be honest here, at least for the Japanese Idol's sake. It has been explained many times how the industry works. What you want will kill the industry and will kill the jobs. Don't lie to yourself that it won't.

"The proper education of otaku". What is that. Are you going to register them and force them to have ID's. "Show us your papers, you dirty Otaku". Sounds like you want to send them to re-education camps.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
"The proper education of otaku". What is that. Are you going to register them and force them to have ID's. "Show us your papers, you dirty Otaku". Sounds like you want to send them to re-education camps.

To some people, 1984 was a warning. To others, it was a how-to guide.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
If you're seriously gonna blame a teenager for failing to live up to this ridiculous clause while hand waving the larger circumstances that demand such contract clauses in the first place...well it says more about you as a person and your messed up priorities than anything else.

Spare me the holier-than-thou outrage.

Becoming an idol is like making a deal with the devil. Sure, he's horrible and nasty and he's probably going to end up screwing you over. But on the other hand, you can't say you didn't know what would be in store for you, and you can't plead innocence when you willingly and happily signed your life away for all the riches he promised you.

"I'm not denying that the industry I'm tacitly defending is comparable to the devil but..."

Kinda proving my point here man. The teenager who agreed to this predatory, life sucking bullshit deal can't claim total innocence? Yeah? Okay? You're not wrong I guess. The fact that you choose run to the forums to belabor this particular point though as opposed to criticizing the industry offering the deal which...and I cannot emphasize this enough...you compare to the actual devil, speaks to just how messed up your priorities are.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I know that everyone wants to hate on the idol industry because it can be pretty exploitative, but lets have a look at what actually happened here.

A 16 year old girl is meeting 2 fans (possibly after an event?) for a threesome. In ANY country that would end a girls career so we can stop all the moralizing on the no relationship rules. Just how old were the guys? Mid 20's? Early 30's???

Another important point is that if this occurred at some event while the girl was under the care of the agency then there are some MASSIVE liability problems for them. The agency has an obligation to the parents of the children to ensure that they are looked after. If she sneaked off to meet fans then they could be majorly in the poo as well.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

All I see is a bunch of Japan bashing. Nobody has any problem with teenagers signing their lives away joining the military. They lose more of their rights and freedoms than any Japanese Idol.

I get the strangest impression that equating the rights of an entertainment persona who was 15 when she signed on with the rights of enlisted folks who are at, if not over, the age of 18 and being integrated into a system that demands a strict chain of command in order to function feels like a false equivalence. Juuuuust maybe. Razz

Without a stronger knowledge of Japanese law, for me, it seems like a legit case. The judge seems like an asshole, and I think this stipulation in the contract is asinine, but it was a breach of her contract, whether she or her guardian signed up for it. And negligence is hardly an excuse in the eyes of the law. :/ Doesn't mean I have to like the outcome, though.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

Ah, I see how you ignored the military there.

That is not true, your forgetting about Charlie Sheen and many other actors and actresses who have such clauses to keep bad press away and to ensure that the actors and actresses don't harm themselves during production. Thinking you are also forgetting about all those sponsorship deals.

It all boils down to, when Japan does it, it is evil. But when America does it, we make excuses.

Let's be honest here, at least for the Japanese Idol's sake. It has been explained many times how the industry works. What you want will kill the industry and will kill the jobs. Don't lie to yourself that it won't.

Sponsorship deals usually have conditions that are within reason. I'm not familiar with the other 2.

It hasn't been tried, yet, you don't know if getting rid of such unreasonable clauses would kill the idol industry. Be optimistic, the decision to remove the no dating conditions most likely will make the industry a better place.

The Otaku need to be taught that an idols private and stage life are different and they are human and must be respected like everyone else, it's unhealthy to want control over an idol's private life and if they need to control somebody to be happy, they need to seek mental help. Also, the over obsessiveness with chastity is a sign of mental illness and they should get help if they can't like an idol who's dated, had sex, or is married.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Okay, folks, time to take a step back and calm down. Please no personal attacks and blanket judgments. There are viable ways to make arguments without resorting to name-calling.

Having said that, these "she knew what she was getting into" and "she should have known better" statements are insensitive and disturbing. One, she was a minor when the contract was signed. Two, phrases like "willingly and happily signed your life away for all the riches" assumes that the girl is always clearly aware of the situation and understands the consequences (and implies she is some sort of greedy money-grubber). Because we're all rational people who don't make mistakes, right? Especially when we're in an age range going through hormonal changes. Especially when it's an agreement with a corporation run by adults who have made a profitable business out of selling images of "pure" girls. Of course they'd do their best to be persuasive, selling the "life as an idol" to the young girls and their families willing to participate.

Last edited by Crisha on Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Having said that, these "she knew what she was getting into" and "she should have known better" statements are insensitive and disturbing.

It is not. At all.

Being an idol is a job. Jobs have restrictions. There is no grey area for idols. It is black and white. They cannot closely associate with the opposite sex who are not members of their family. You do not just sort of stumble into being an idol. It takes years of preparation and planning. The girls do know full well what behavior they are expected to maintain. They do. You may think it's insensitive and disturbing, but I see it as a part of the job. If they want to be idols then they must accept everything that comes with the job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12