• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: Sony 'Nears Acquisition' of Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
The easiest way to censor something would be to just ask for the TV masters and not tell the fanbase. I’m not saying this has necessarily happened, but it’s still on Funimation to at least let people know when the uncut version cannot be acquired ahead of time. People, including me, have already explained to you several times why using the TV masters is a big deal and people have explained why they have different expectations for a disk release in another thread. You continue to ignore it. That’s why I’m not answering your questions.

Anyway, people are mostly talking in the future here. It doesn’t seem like Sony’s purchase of Funimation changed anything. The Funimation talk is mostly irrelevant since we’re talking about future outcomes, but people don’t trust Sony for obvious reasons. Everything was great for Playstation too until recently. Sony sucks.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
That's still not the same thing as Funimation censoring the titles themselves and it's frankly dishonest and misleading conspiracy fear mongering to act otherwise like it is and it's also letting the Japanese licensors and companies off the hook to fit into this conspiracy narrative that it's the Evil West out to censor the pure untainted Japanese fanservice and not something they actively do themselves.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
That's still not the same thing as Funimation or Sony censoring the titles themselves and it's frankly dishonest and misleading conspiracy fear mongering to act otherwise like it is.

That would be Funimation censoring if it happened that way. And it shows how little trust I have in them. I’ve been burned too many times. I wouldn’t have bought several releases from them if they were honest about getting the broadcast versions. Again, I’m not saying that it happened that way, but Funimation at the very least does need to accept responsibility and let fans know they couldn’t get the home video masters before the disks come out. I already added a bunch to my above post to further clarify, but you already responded.

Last edited by strawberry-kun on Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
So if the Japanese censor a show and Funimation isn't allowed to release the uncensored version for some reason, that's somehow their fault and them censoring it and not the Japanese?
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So if the Japanese censor a show and Funimation isn't allowed to release the uncensored version for some reason, that's somehow their fault and them censoring it and not the Japanese?

In this case, they need to let fans know ahead of time that they were unable to acquire the home video version. Don’t advertise the release as uncut, and let fans know that the release uses broadcast masters through an announcement or something before the release. Funimation wouldn’t be at fault here, but I have to stress that they need to let fans know.

Also, we are way off topic. I suggest we drop it before we get in trouble.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:

Also, we are way off topic. I suggest we drop it before we get in trouble.

Please do. Thank you.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I find it amazing how many here have the gift of prophecy. They can look a few years into the future and know just how Sony will handle a purchase they haven't even agreed to yet.

Even assuming the appropriate branches of Sony and AT&T can come to an agreement as to price, that only starts the acquisition process. They still have to do a lot of checking and regulatory hurdles to clear. Once that is done, they still have to integrate the new property to a greater or lesser degree. The whole process will take a couple of years. At that time any changes to Crunchyroll will depend on the state of the market at that time or at any rate Sony's perception of that. What those changes will be is anyone's guess. Any predictions now that turn out to be correct will be pure accident.

There is no point in worrying about the effects of a Sony acquisition of Crunchyroll. Too may variables involved. It is not as though anything said here will effect the process anyway.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I find it amazing how many here have the gift of prophecy. They can look a few years into the future and know just how Sony will handle a purchase they haven't even agreed to yet.

#2 - You'd Rather Be Unhappy Than Uncertain

Source: 5 Ways Your Brain Is Tricking You Into Being Miserable from Cracked.com
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8