• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Speaking of which, look at all the people who got lower scores than me in the Minigame:

gGultra
Vaisaga
CrowLia
Beltane
The Naked Beast
Getchman
Psycho101

That was very mean of them, stealing my thunder like that.

I am terribly sorry. It was definitely not my intention to horribly underestimate people like Youko and Fakir and think they would be knocked out early then proceed to finish in last place due to my stupid blunder. Rest assured that I have learned my lesson and it will not happen again.

Last edited by getchman on Fri May 31, 2013 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
MOE REDUX?!!!

Too much resistance to doing that again, even though I know some people are also strongly in favor of it. (I wouldn't be objectionable to doing it again at some point, though, as I think we'd get distinctly different results this time.)

Last edited by Key on Fri May 31, 2013 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Best Battle sounds like a very workable idea and one that would cover a wide range of genres, which is always good. And if the nomination was just a single battle, then at least the video clips would only have to be done once, plus I imagine there's a good portion that you could find already up on Youtube.

For non-character based ones I still prefer World Building but even if the idea isn't done next, it's definitely worth keeping in mind for future tournaments.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
MOE REDUX?!!!

F*ck and yes.

If ever there was a tournament that could be popular and huge it would be that one. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of nominees was over a thousand.

Hmm, a tournament of 1,024 characters seems a bit over the top (not to mention long), but I'm pretty sure 512 characters is doable. After all, SaiMoe has ~280 and they only use characters from a single year in each tournament, so 512 characters from all the history of Anime would still result in a very strong field.

Moe Redux would also be very interesting to see how Moe tastes have changed since the previous tournament.

If I wasn't such a lazy bugger I'd run the tournament myself, just to make sure it happened.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, I have no idea what the previous tournaments were. Can some one give me a run down?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Come to think of it, I have no idea what the previous tournaments were. Can some one give me a run down?

Can't be arsed to remember. I'll just let Key do the talking.

As people can see, Moe is the oldest tournament and was done back in 2005-2006, before most of the current users on the forums had even joined. Therefore for most people it will be the first time we've had it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Actually I was going to say something like this too. It might be useful to have a sticky note titled past tournaments with years they were in, winners, and maybe links to them if anyone was interested in seeing some of the arguments. Just an idea.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
^
You probably missed my post, as the link I provided goes to almost exactly what you were wanting.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Thank you kindly.

Hm, there was only 1 non-character related tournament so I definitely think we should move away from characters for awhile.

The suggestion I would like to put forth is "Best Use of an Insert Song." It would be limited to actual vocal songs and not standard BGMs. They would be judged on song quality, suitability for the scene, and how it enhances the scene. Not only would this give us an insight into tastes in anime, but taste in music as well.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Insert song would be a thinner field than you think, as they aren't used as commonly as you think and few of them are actually memorable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Really? I got a ton that I'll go back and rewatch occasionally because they're awesome.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Best Transformation Sequence - This category would have to be inclusive of all types of transformations. Some examples would be a group of mechanical lions into a mecha, a fighter jet into a Valkyrie, weaponry, and even a high school girl into a magic wielding universe saver.
The reasons for nominations and votes would be interesting, to say the least.

Best AI Supporting/Lead Character - We spend so much time on the flesh and blood of anime, so why not give the toasters some love? Cyborgs need not apply.

Okay, enough of the typical recommendations. Time to rock the boat.
Wink

While "Best" or "Worst" are okay, they're also limited to a point. How about an idea of mixing it up a bit where each of the two brackets makes up for random "winner".

For example, on one side, you can pick "Best Mechanic" and on the other side, "Worst Mecha" to see how the winners match up.

Just an idea. Smile
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Both those ideas seem way too genre-specific. While obviously world-building would be heavy on the fantasy/sci-fi, it's been established that lots of series that don't fall into those genres would also work. But beyond magical girl, how many transformation sequences are there really?

And the AI would definitely be only sci-fi.

As for the insert song, I think the idea of doing something with music has been floated around for awhile but we've never been able to turn it into a workable concept. I'm not sure that limiting to insert songs would be the best idea, though I can think of some good ones. Maybe just a general best background music, including those that are just instrumental? Then it could be judged based on its song and how it is used within the show as well.

That would at least move us away from the best OP/EP, which isn't nearly as interesting.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
But beyond magical girl, how many transformation sequences are there really?

Try a bagillion mecha shows Laughing
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, other than mecha (which I don't watch/care about) and magical girl?

I don't know, that one doesn't seem like it would really warrant much diversity or discussion. I can only think of one instance of a transformation scene being used for anything other than padding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 73 of 76