• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
So, I finally decided to watch Princess Tutu, after all the praise it gets in this forum. I went in completely clueless and was slightly irritated by the silliness and (supposedly) lack of maturity the series exhales – at first. I continued watching because I wanted to know what the buzz was about, despite the initial feeling that this was meant to be watched by a target audience not quite my own age. I quickly let go of my reluctance when the characters and feel of the series started to grow on me, though.

I really loved the first season, especially the switching between hilarious comedy and mystic seriousness. The animation was quite limited at times, and yes, it might be targeting an age group below the one I belong to, but I found it to be rich in atmosphere and especially in heart.

The setting appealed to me enormously, as I was reminded of various vacations in Bavaria from my own childhood, which blended nicely with the fairytale like intro and theme of the episodes and made me feel like a child again on several levels. It was almost like revisiting a childhood favorite, although I never watched this show as a child, yet still I was getting some lovely and melancholic nostalgia vibes from it.

The first episodes of season two were a bit repetitive (spoiler[Kraehe having to steal yet another person’s heart for the raven] over and over again), but it really started to pick itself up again for me with the ghost knight episode and the following discovery of spoiler[Fakir’s true power and the consequent all out fight against fate].

Ahiru and Fakir were incredibly lovely and layered characters, I rooted for them (and a happy ending) more than I usually tend to root for most fictional characters. I really wished for them to get a happy ending, spoiler[although the feeling of the show indicated a bittersweet ending throughout, at best.] The finale was thrilling, touching, and full of heart and left me all teary, yet hopeful, and with a feeling of empowerment. What a wonderful message for kids and adolescents watching this show! I am already thinking whom I could give the DVDs to for birthdays or Christmas.

I am not sure if I want to rate Princess Tutu very good or excellent at the moment, I guess I have to see how my feelings toward it develop over the next few days. But I took a very powerful message with me that touched my heart and soul, and I am grateful for that.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
@Knoepfchen
Welcome to the club! This is the AMV we show to people who have completed the show, so enjoy it!
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
^How incredibly and spectacularly AWESOME was that! Seriously, I feel like riding a roller coaster, eating huge amounts of ice cream while secretly dreaming of piloting a space ship to save the burning world around me. Pure amazement. And way too many feelings. Instantly adding this to my favorites.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
One of us. One of us. One of us.

Welcome to the fandom, Knoepfchen! Very Happy
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
So, to become a true member of this forum, I suppose I'll have to watch Princess Tutu too. Smile
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
You won't regret it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
It's actually quite fascinating how my feelings towards this series get even stronger with more days passing after I finished it. It's lingering in my mind somehow and won't go away, making me all melancholic for some reason. I've already recommended it to the two people closest to me and upgraded my rating to excellent. There's something really quite special about it.

And this AMV still rocks my world. Very Happy
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I've always been put off by the name... It sounds very cheap and uncreative in my opinion. But everyone seems to rave about it, guess ill give it a watch.

Under £20 on amazon... It's in the basket awaiting pay day Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
One lesson I've learned after watching anime for almost 25 years is to never judge an anime by its title.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
@Ignatz
Yes. We will show you the OVA after you've seen it, as it is spoilerific.

@TsunaReborn!
The name is pretty much the only bad things about this anime. Well the first few eps are "meh", but it's the name that keeps making me have a hard time trying to convince people that it's awesome. Fortunately though, it's pretty well known as epic on these forums, so it's much easier to get an army behind me.

@Knoepfchen
I just love it when a series turns in your head days afterwards!
thegoanna

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
Well I have watched in the last week or so..

Tokyo Magnitude 8: Got an Excellent from me, quite confronting at the end, should have seen it coming around episode 8.. a twist at the end that is.
Very well made, good story, easy to dislike Mirai at the start, still she learns and becomes more bearable Smile Definitely recommend. Will watch again.

No-6: Gave it VG, had trouble liking the main characters at first, but they grew on me. Story is apocalyptic, Enjoyed it in the end, but probably wont watch again.

Hiiro No Kakera: Season 1. Again gave it VG, still deciding if i will watch second season though. Takes to long to get anywhere, Tamaki is a good character, but the guys are a mish mash to me. too many loose ends as well, characters that don't make sense etc.

Starting these now from DVD club, had the first volume disks only so far...

Claymore: I saw this some time ago on a patchy streaming site. So watching again to see what I missed. I liked it before, and still appreciate it so far.. Smile

Coyote Ragtime Show: Been meaning to see this for some time, so its time has finally arrived, so far so good. Smile will continue to watch.

Madlax: ditto to above, bit frantic but story is slowly starting to make sense! Smile

Yukikaze, well I have 2 more disks to go, if I can make it, not really my thing, not holding my interest, but see how the second disk goes.. Confused

Panty and Stocking... : Can anybody keep up with this? again may not persist with it, just a bit off the wall for me. Its shock value is about all it has going for it so far Rolling Eyes

Dirty Pair Flash: another series I have been wanting to see. So far so good, but I hope the plot levels out soon though, otherwise it may get left behind as well. Confused
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote
thegoanna wrote:
Hiiro No Kakera: Season 1. Again gave it VG, still deciding if i will watch second season though. Takes to long to get anywhere, Tamaki is a good character, but the guys are a mish mash to me. too many loose ends as well, characters that don't make sense etc.

If you liked the first season then I'd definitely give the second season a go, because it really is a lot better. It's such a shame that the first season is so incredibly long-winded though, it really should have been shorter.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote
Still chugging through Nana with my long-suffering sweetheart. The second half is far better than the first. I'll say that.
Also, and on my own, working through A Certain Scientific Railgun, which (going against popular opinion) I don't like as much as Index.
I'm putting Master Keaton on hold for the moment, and replacing it with Bodacious Space Pirates. Keaton is incredibly good, but I'm sick at the moment (pneumonia) and feel I can't pay it the attention it deserves. I want something lighter. Not that Keaton is dark, but it is sort of serious.
ScumbagYoshi

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
I watched Dennou Coil. I don't know why I did, and while I was watching it that opinion did not change.

Also, Princess Tutu is mostly good because classical music carried that. I was quite amused when I heard the 2nd movement of the New World Symphony having just watched a live concert of it a few days prior. =P
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Also, and on my own, working through A Certain Scientific Railgun, which (going against popular opinion) I don't like as much as Index.

People generally enjoyed Railgun more than Index? I didn't know that, I always thought it was the other way around. I also enjoyed Index far more than I enjoyed Railgun mainly because Railgun was just boring in my opinion, it needed more Touma (not because of him but because of her).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 764 of 1062