• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Files for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I really can't think of too many examples of Bandai using anyone but Bang Zoom! in Cali lately though. I had no idea they were using NY VA at all. Well I never bother watching Kurokami so there you go.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis: If Macek can (sort of) make a comeback, I'm hoping for the same from John O'Donnell. I don't care if it's not the same operation as long as the guy doesn't go down with a whimper.

Last edited by GATSU on Fri May 01, 2009 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Dead Hippie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
That's a real shame that Central Park Media went under. I just got into the Overfiend series and was really hoping that Central Park Media was going to redistribute the series at some point in the near future. Now, I have to hope that some other company gets the license for it. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed)
nycpowtap

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I think you misunderstand what a trustee is. A trustee doesn't run the company, they oversee the liquidation. It's really hard for a company to continue to operate while everything from their live product to their computers and tape dispensers are being liquidated.

Not to mention that most rights expire immediately if the company files for bankruptcy. So let's not harbor any illusions that they could still come back from this. It's over.

You are correct on all the above Justin but it makes no sense and since we both worked there, you after me you may know more in terms of the later CPM but I know quite a bit about the numbers per say.

I believe this was in some ways planned or a general riding off into the pasture scenario but from what I have heard about the numbers this story is not over.

It was something I brought up to you during cons...one adult anime a month could have easily sustained the operation not to mention all their evergreen titles.

Sorry it does not equal up...

-js
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
nycpowtap wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

I think you misunderstand what a trustee is. A trustee doesn't run the company, they oversee the liquidation. It's really hard for a company to continue to operate while everything from their live product to their computers and tape dispensers are being liquidated.

Not to mention that most rights expire immediately if the company files for bankruptcy. So let's not harbor any illusions that they could still come back from this. It's over.

You are correct on all the above Justin but it makes no sense and since we both worked there, you after me you may know more in terms of the later CPM but I know quite a bit about the numbers per say.

I believe this was in some ways planned or a general riding off into the pasture scenario but from what I have heard about the numbers this story is not over.

It was something I brought up to you during cons...one adult anime a month could have easily sustained the operation not to mention all their evergreen titles.

Sorry it does not equal up...

-js

Careful now. You may give some of us some hope with statements like that. Smile
nycpowtap

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:

Careful now. You may give some of us some hope with statements like that. Smile

I believe the hope comes down to what Justin said. Whimper or a Fight?

That is something I have also struggled with myself over many years as your business goes year after year it becomes tougher to wake up every morning and continue the hard fight.

Only one person in this case holds the answer...

-js
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
nyc: O'Donnell should cut some sort of deal with TP or DMP get those goddamn yaoi yakuza f**ks off their backs, and split the profits from the sales in exchange.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Now this officialy sucks. Another decent company bites the dust due to the economy,and lack of sales which we all know who's responsible. I'm seeing the next one to go will be media blasters/anime works and if that happens, it'll be crisis city.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dead Hippie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm seeing the next one to go will be media blasters/anime works and if that happens, it'll be crisis city.

Is this a "worst-case" scenario that you are pointing out or is Media Blasters really in trouble? (I thought they were doing well, financially, but I could have missed an article about it)
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Now this officialy sucks. Another decent company bites the dust due to the economy,and lack of sales which we all know who's responsible. I'm seeing the next one to go will be media blasters/anime works and if that happens, it'll be crisis city.

How can you expect a company that never releases any new titles to stay afloat? They didn't bother to re release any of their older titles like Now and Then, Here and There.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
That's so sad about CPM, I wonder what all those New York dub actors are going to do? I hate the fact that they might not be able to find work, and living in New York is expensive.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
That's so sad about CPM, I wonder what all those New York dub actors are going to do? I hate the fact that they might not be able to find work, and living in New York is expensive.

CPM hasn't dubbed an anime for years. So it's likely the New York dub actors just moved on.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Since Media Blasters put Genshiken two on to be announced schedule (which often means it won't be released or it will take several months) and has only licensed average shows, I would not be surprized if Media Blasters went chapter seven.

Shows like Ah My Buddha have been alreadly 100 times and is quite average, so why would anyone buy it? I bought the Kujibiki Unbalence series in good faith that Media Blasters would license Genshiken two, but now its on TBA.

I wouldn't want anyone to lose their job, but I don't appreiciate waiting for possibly another year to Genshiken two.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Shows like Ah My Buddha have been alreadly 100 times and is quite average, so why would anyone buy it?

You could say the same thing about <insert name of shounen fighting show here>. (That said, even as someone who likes harem shows, I think Ah My Buddha is crap.)
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
I blame illegal streaming & downloading, as well as renting and borrowing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10