• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Toradora! DVD 1 Eps. 1-7 Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
My Two Cents... (like anyone cares)

"A Sunny Romantic Comedy..."

spoiler[What's "sunny" or "romantic" or "funny" about a series who's Female Lead is emotionally and physically abusive? Or a codependent doormat -at times- male lead?]

Yeah... not so much.

I will say I greatly enjoyed the male lead, Ryuji spoiler[(when he wasn't acting too much like a doormat)], and that the first 7 or so episodes were of a very high quality. Indeed, the show had moments of pure genius. However, it had its faults, too. Nor was it without it's predictablespoiler[ (See: the ending)] or pandering moments.

A B+ is a very fair grade of the story, however, reading the review -assuming you weren't blinded by its effusive glow- you'd think the actual grade was much higher.

Oh well, if you like it, buy it and enjoy it.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
So far I've managed to avoid spoilers for this show, but it sounds like Toradora gets pretty dramatic in the second half. I'm just wondering if it gets super depressing like Clannad After Story.

Oh, God, no! There's nothing in Toradora! that saps all the color from the world like Clannad, nor anything PTSD-inducing like School Days, for that matter. The second half of the series just brings a lot of typical second act types of complications to the table. Tensions rise, conflicts come to a head, that sort of thing. AFAIC, it's just that the characters are sympathetic and the viewer actually cares what happens in their lives.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:
So far I've managed to avoid spoilers for this show, but it sounds like Toradora gets pretty dramatic in the second half. I'm just wondering if it gets super depressing like Clannad After Story.

Oh, God, no! There's nothing in Toradora! that saps all the color from the world like Clannad, nor anything PTSD-inducing like School Days, for that matter. The second half of the series just brings a lot of typical second act types of complications to the table. Tensions rise, conflicts come to a head, that sort of thing. AFAIC, it's just that the characters are sympathetic and the viewer actually cares what happens in their lives.

that's good to hear. I will definitely be getting this then.
animekitty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:36 am Reply with quote
Dubbed Toradora?

I'll pass on that, it could go 'so' wrong if it were dubbed. Much of this series' strengths came from its voice cast and I'd rather not take a chance that an English cast can capture that essence. A dud isn't just a voice over, its an entirely new re-acting of the original; too much can go wrong, too easily. To me, Torodora dubbed risks the same fate as Love Hina, which I didn't think worked in translation at all.

This show's a buy for me but I think I'll wait for a full series set before buying: I usually only look at the art books, etc once and then it just languish in the case afterwards.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Key wrote:
Ariolander wrote:
Rie Kugimiya is the Queen of Tsundere and every american VA who has tried to play one of her tsunderes has failed. With Rie Kugimiya at the lead it is fine as-is. I don't think anyone can replace her.

To my knowledge only one of her true tsundere roles - Shana from Shakugan no Shana - has ever been dubbed, and I thought Tabitha St. Germain did a perfectly fine job in that role.

Meh, I consider Cristina Valenzuela to be the dub equivalent to Rie Kugimiya (who voiced Louise from The Familiar of Zero, another one of Kugimiya's tsundere roles). Her VA sounds very tsundere there.
And if we reach back to some of Kugimiya's earlier (pre-FMA) roles, we have Cyberdoll Rena from Hand Maid May as a tsundere character. I thought Reba West did a respectable job dubbing that one.

Like several other posters, I'd also be curious about the subtitle quality. Hopefully it's up to general anime industry standards. If so, it'd beat the fansubs, which were plagued by poor writing (spoken names in the audio often not replaced with "you" in the subtitle script) and outright joking/trolling. Though a few errors here and there from NIS wouldn't be deal-breakers for me. Looking forward to the full review next month.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
But still, really? Buying a product you don't want in the hopes that you might get one that you do want? I'm still buying Toradora, albeit somewhat begrudgingly, but I've always found that a bit ridiculous.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

See the difference about sub fans and dub fans is that dub fans whine about what they DON'T get and sub fans whine about they DO get...... who sounds more spoiled?

A lot of these fans also refuse to acknowledge that there has been a fundamental shift in the market in the past few years. The market is about half it's size of just a few years ago. DVD's have moved from higher profit singles to lower profit box sets. Prices have also significantly dropped on most of those box sets in an attempt to slow the sales decline, so overall revenues have also been hit. Dubs also aren't the only places where the R1 distributors are cutting cost. Packaging has gotten much cheaper, particularly from Funimation and Sentai. On disc extras are becoming rarer, and added things like plushies, t-shirts, etc are hardly seen anymore.

Just so I don't get accused of being a sub-only elitist, I would like to put out that I primarily prefer watching dubs, with very rare exceptions. I also get tired of the constant whining from some sub-only fans that all dubs suck, or the people who talk about a a dub they think is terrible and assume everybody agrees with them. There have been many dubs that I enjoyed, or was rather surprised by, like Clannad and Legend of The Dark King, where others haven't like them. There have also been ones that I can't stand like Ouran and FMA:B, where many other people like them. It's all a matter of personal taste and preference. There really isn't much point debating it.

As my final point, I would like to say that I do agree with you that there are definitely some quality dubs. There are several shows, particularly ADV and Bang Zoom dubs where I think the American version has much better performances than the Japanese version, and I think people should give a dub a chance and not entirely dismiss it offhand. Due to their quality of the past two years, I've been very cynical of the quality of several Funimation dubs, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to give them a try, should they get a show I want to watch.

Well yeah, if you compare the quality of the dubs now to the dubs about 10 years ago, the quality has greatly improved, and are more faithful to the original content. And the same VA who got into anime VA 10 years ago has gotten more experience and their acting has greatly improved. Yes, there are still some shitty dubs around (Pokemon), but there are also dubs that are just as enjoyable as the Japanese soundtrack (Lucky Star, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and many of dubs of Miyazaki's works are some of the examples). What makes the sub vs. dub stuff really annoying is one side tries to push their personal prefences onto others and say they are always right.

And also, bear in note that NIS America is a new player to the anime industry, so I wasn't expecting a dub when they announced Toradora! (and I'd be really surprised if they dub it within a year or so due to high DVD sales. Just like what happened when Section23 announced Clannad getting a dub after about a year when they were first established after ADV Films shuts itself down). Any new companies/subsidiaries joining into the industry should start out slow and small. Take ADV Films, for instance. IIRC, when they were first established, they are releasing their anime subbed-only. However, they slowly went forward on dubbing their releases. In fact, they also went back and dub their anime they first released subbed-only. And take a look at Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. It didn't take them one year to become one of the biggest business entrepreneurs in the PC industry that establish what is known as Microsoft and Apple respectfully. In fact, it took them years to become successful.

Look, I know that we are dealing with really shitty economic times, but you shouldn't expect a new company to do something really big. They must start out really small, and that's what NIS America is doing. Yes, there are many anime that I personally don't think it deserves to have a dub (Hidamari Sketch, Sketchbook are a few examples), but there are some that deserves to have a dub big time (Hayate the Combat Butler! is the biggest example if anyone asks me).

I do appreciate that anime companies are making cutbacks. And I do appreciate the "sub first, then dub if the sub-only DVDs are doing well" approach. Releasing the anime sub-first gives the company a "test run" to see if the anime "sells" to the audience if they aren't sure about the anime series. If the sub-only release sells well or is even profitable, then the companies can take the next step and try to dub the series. Section23 and Media Blasters did this approach, and it worked for them (and even Clannad and Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan are getting a dub here).

In turn, I'm still a bit optimistic about the anime industry despite the economic recession. Yes, they need to make radical changes. But hopefully, when the economy recovers, we might see more dubbing again. It's a cycle of ups and downs. I still have hopes of seeing Toradora! and Hayate the Combat Butler! dubbed and still have hopes for more licensing for U.S. release.

Rinkwolf wrote:

Thus, don't Bury it before it's dead. What's more likely to happen then the dub "going wrong" (which is funny, since there is no right to go wrong from) is that he sub only fans whine and moan about the dub not being good enough just because it doesn't SOUND like the Japanese dub (whoever said it has too) like they did with Clannad (which as a seller dub).

Come to think it, you may be right about this issue. If you have the English VA try to sound like the Japanese seiyuu, it wouldn't be natural at all. If you have Wendee Lee try to sound like Aya Hirano for a Haruhi dub, it doesn't sound natural. This is because Japanese have a different vocal pitch than English. So a high-pitch voice for a cute character would sound natural in Japanese, but not natural in English. I praise the English voice acting of Lucky Star because they manage to make the characters sound natural while speaking in English instead of trying to match up with the Japanese pitch and at the same time, faithful to the original Japanese content. You may or may not agree with me in this statement. However, try to imagine what would it be like of someone is trying to speak English all the time with a Japanese accent. In turn when it comes to dubs, I prefer natural over sounding like the Japanese seiyuu as well as faithful to the original content or meaning.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Rinkwolf wrote:

Thus, don't Bury it before it's dead. What's more likely to happen then the dub "going wrong" (which is funny, since there is no right to go wrong from) is that he sub only fans whine and moan about the dub not being good enough just because it doesn't SOUND like the Japanese dub (whoever said it has too) like they did with Clannad (which as a seller dub).

Come to think it, you may be right about this issue. If you have the English VA try to sound like the Japanese seiyuu, it wouldn't be natural at all. If you have Wendee Lee try to sound like Aya Hirano for a Haruhi dub, it doesn't sound natural. This is because Japanese have a different vocal pitch than English. So a high-pitch voice for a cute character would sound natural in Japanese, but not natural in English. I praise the English voice acting of Lucky Star because they manage to make the characters sound natural while speaking in English instead of trying to match up with the Japanese pitch and at the same time, faithful to the original Japanese content. You may or may not agree with me in this statement. However, try to imagine what would it be like of someone is trying to speak English all the time with a Japanese accent. In turn when it comes to dubs, I prefer natural over sounding like the Japanese seiyuu as well as faithful to the original content or meaning.

I agree with you 100%. A English dub should be looked at as a stand along product and not have to be compared to it's Japanese counterpart.

Also, about NIS not dubbing. I've stated before in this thread that I know full well that they wouldn't make a dub right off the bat and it's a fair move on their part as they are a new company and all. However, NIS getting Toradora is like a amateur (not to denote NIS or anything) trying to do pro's work. (would have been much more content with Funimation getting Toradora and they seemed to show signs of being interested in it too) Sure I'm happy that someone got it. But I have the same feeling with this as I did when Section 23 got the shows I wanted to have (To Love RU, Special A, Clannad, Hell Girl 2) and I just couldn't be happy, in fact I felt like it would be better if they didn't pick up the titles up at all. But, now that they started to dub I have my hopes up.

I'm sure NIS will dub Toradora because they said they will dub it if it does well enough (how can Toradora not do good enough?) So in the end I might get what I want.

But, I will make something clear, Toradora is one of those sub shows that is more tolerable then most. However, it's also one of those shows that you can't wait to watch in dub.

Also, Haruhi in the english dub sound more "wild/untamed" and "alive/energetic" then the sub to me and to many others that I've spoken too. That is why I still haven't watched the subs of season 2. Not because I'm not interested or dieing to know what will happen, but because I know I will not get even 50% of the enjoyment from the sub as I would from the dub. That is why I wait.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

Rinkwolf wrote:

I agree with you 100%. A English dub should be looked at as a stand along product and not have to be compared to it's Japanese counterpart.

Rinkwolf, for once I agree with you. I don't think it necessarily hurts to compare the two, but they should each be judged on their own merits. They are essentially two different ways of telling the same story, in two different languages. You can't expect the performances to be identical, or the voices to sound similar. If they were going to do something like that, then why even bother dubbing it in the first place?
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
I'd known of Toradora since it was airing, but I never paid it much mind, because it just struck me so much as "Here's this cranky loli girl and this guy who just looks tough but isn't, and they're gonna do the trope waltz 'til the cows come home; been there, seen that." But after long enough, and the series retaining high levels of fan esteem, I finally decided I'd give it a whirl. I'm glad I did, because it's the best thing I've seen this year. The characters don't really break any molds, but (as others have stated), they do what they do so well, and with such individual flair, that they refuse to exist under the umbrella of their archetypes. Thus, a show I started watching and continued to watch because it was simply fun and entertaining suddenly reached out at the series midpoint to hold me in a vice-like grip, singing "I'm gonna take you for a ri-i-iiiiiiide!" like that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 BGM song, and I enjoyed it immensely all the way through the end, which was touching even when I had steadfastly proclaimed "How are they gonna make the foregone conclusion touching? Pfffff." I underestimated Toradora - I don't think I can really be blamed, seeing how many series appear in that general vein and how many of them suck - but I'm almost glad I did underestimate it and had few, if any expectations for it, because I found out I'd missed that feeling of being really taken by surprise, in a pleasant way.

That said, I can't really avoid the talk of the release. I'm one of those people who generally watch subs, and in that vein, I'm fine with purchasing sub-only series so long as the pricing reflects it in some way. I bought the Gurren Lagann sub-only volumes at about $20 apiece ($60 for all three), and I thought "Okay, I really liked this series; I'll probably never miss the dub unless I wanted to loan it out," so I was okay with that. On the other hand, I refused to buy the release of the original Mobile Suit Gundam that didn't have the Japanese voicework in it, so I can see where the "uppity" dub fans are coming from here.

My main qualm is that this is a series I definitely want to own, but in this case, I don't actually want the "premium edition" with the artbook and such. I actually like artbooks, but I have fickle artistic tastes and generally buy them much more for games than anime series. This is assuming, however, that dropping that artbook would knock like $10 off the MSRP, which would land it in the sweet spot (well, taking Rightstuf's current selling price as the baseline here). Basically, if they put out an edition that's the same thing but without the artbook - and consequently a bit cheaper - I'm pretty much already sold.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Seymour85 wrote:
Can anyone recommend which site it is best to buy this set from if they live in the UK.

For anyone in the UK I wholeheartedly recommend United Publications. Due to the terrible exchange rate they're not the cheapest at the moment, but they're reliable, have excellent customer service, and you won't have to worry about customs fees because they ship from within the UK and the VAT is paid.

And no, I'm not affilated with them in any way (other than as a customer of 10+ years) Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
ElectricDork wrote:
Seymour85 wrote:
Can anyone recommend which site it is best to buy this set from if they live in the UK.

For anyone in the UK I wholeheartedly recommend United Publications. Due to the terrible exchange rate they're not the cheapest at the moment, but they're reliable, have excellent customer service, and you won't have to worry about customs fees because they ship from within the UK and the VAT is paid.

And no, I'm not affilated with them in any way (other than as a customer of 10+ years) Razz
Yes they are a good source of product, but only if you have a multi-region player as all their stock is R1. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Apparently people did not take me seriously earlier in this thread.

I have just removed several posts that continued to "debate" further about the sub/dub business (without saying anything specifically relevant to this series) despite the fact that I made it very clear that there would be a moratorium on such off-subject debate in the rest of this thread. I will continue to do this if needed.

Take a hint, people. If you want to have a "discussion" about this then start a thread in the Anime forum about it. You will not do it here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 am Reply with quote
NIS announcing this title earlier this year made me do a double-take on the fact that it wasn't licensed by someone like Funimation or Sentai while it was airing or shortly after. It baffles me that apparently "nobody wanted it" which left NIS to swoop in and take it 2 years later.

While I scoffed a little bit at the price -- it's only ~$10 more than the average 13ep boxes that come out from Sentai and Funimation currently. And you get some nice extras with it, while the other companies releases are just the DVDs in plain cases. (Many of the other companies boxes also not having a dub, mind you)

The price difference can be explained by the extras, and that NIS is a small company and new to anime licensing, so they can't afford the risk on taking tiny margins.

As others have said -- $47 on Rightstuf. And you get extras. That's like buying 2 single disks, hardly outrageously expensive. Just not fire-sale cheap like some less popular shows being released in box sets.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
ElectricDork wrote:
Seymour85 wrote:

Yes they are a good source of product, but only if you have a multi-region player as all their stock is R1. Wink

Untrue they stock R2 UK releases as well, and being obscure have some that are otherwise hard to get (OOP)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9