• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Witch Craft Works (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping to see an evolved Takamiya.
It was the final episode, but nope.
That guy can't even blow his nose without Kagari.
Almost all his attempts to be strong ended as failures.
Well, this time turned out to be spoiler[slightly better.]
The spoiler[underwater] part was visually enjoyable ^^
It totally distracted me from their conversations lol
Interesting final episode.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote
In the end Takamiya barely did anything by himself and made decisions that only ended up making things worse at times. I have to wonder what was the point of even training him when he still didn't really do anything useful in the fights afterwards. He was my only issue with the series. Though it was absurdly fast paced I could still lightly follow what was going on. But the fact that he couldn't stand up for himself at any point just annoyed me. I get what's going on here, it's supposed to be role reversal where the man has to depend on the women like he's some damsel in distress. I guess it's sort of a fresh idea but i've always liked it better when man and women and stand on the same level and neither of them are below the other. So is the series kind of sexist???!!!! Nah it's impossible to oppress men anyway. Rated it Good but i can't see it being any better than that.

They basically covered almost all the source material in the manga and considering that it's bi-monthly even if it sells well a sequel won't be coming for a good 2-3 years.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote
I rated it as Decent. I was entertained but not blown away. I think if its purpose was to sell more manga then it did its job. I doubt we will be getting a second season.

All in all the characters were fun, my only gripe was Takamiya at the end and its mostly minor. The whole kiss thing wasn't funny for me (ok when he spoiler[kissed her on the forehead] it kind of was a little, but that's more of the visual gag of it). However, when he continued like it was the scariest thing in the universe it felt like more typical lame male lead-itis. I rarely ever feel the need to say "grow a pair!", but this one time I did.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I found an interesting article on this show. According to the article this was suppose to be a yuri manga.

Because of that idea, I found the whole thing to be an interesting experiment. Initially I thought is was supposed to be a gender swap but when you think about it it the question really is "What if the extremely useless and timid girl in a yuri relationship, the one who is always protected by 'onee-sama' was a boy?"
And we get our answer, the pathetic nature of the "moe" victim is even more enhanced. (s)He can't protect (her)himself, (s)he can't do anything for (her)himself, but somehow we are meant to feel admiration for (her)him because (s)he does the best (s)he can and the great love (s)he has for big sister and all the people of the town led (her)him to do the right thing when the time came. And really, were we supposed to expect anything out of (her)him? (s)He's just a cute (girl)boy - tee-(s)hee.
And it says something about the expected role of guys in such shows too. What if the guy who's asked to be a savior really is a sweet and timid guy? Why do we have to expect a superhero come out of every character put in such a situation?

But as interesting as it is, it doesn't really make for a great "story."
In the end the humor and experiment role-playing bring it up to a recommended "Good" level but it could have used a better supporting plot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this title a lot. Gave it a Good rating that almost tipped into Very Good territory, just came up a little short. I liked the humour and art very much and a lot of the characters. Special shout out to the adorably ineffective Tower Witch Five who, as I said before, really need their own show.

I'm a sad llama that nobody has picked this one up yet. There were several Sentai titles from this season announced that I would have traded to get this instead.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Gave it a Good rating that almost tipped into Very Good territory, just came up a little short. I liked the humour and art very much and a lot of the characters

I ended up in the same space. They could have done better if they made more use of the 5 clown witches. It looks like they wanted to there at the end but ran out of time.

As for the art, it was all over the map. The 3D backgrounds ranged from good to stunning, particularly when in motion. The characters were all average-to-weird. I liked Medusa's design but she didn't show up much.

For example WTF is up with Weekend's mouth? It floats all over the place and seem to be in the right place by accident. If anything it reminds me of those old Crash Cargo cartoons where the only animation is a matte of someone's mouth talking over a still frame. Anyone else see this? Gave me the creeps as a kid and don't like it any better now.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
so many fascinating characters, so little time devoted to any single person. Chronoire and Kazane's history would make a great spin off as would just about anyone else's past. it would be interesting to find out why Kazane was attendng High School with Komachi when spoiler[she was hundreds of years old]. Weekend seemed like the only actual bad guy in this show, everyone else just seemed punch clock villains
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
OVA

My spoiler[Little Sister Can't Be This Potato]. Yeah his sister is nuts, even stranger is that she expresses the spoiler[opinions of many who watched the second season and felt off about that whole part]. Somehow she does spoiler[not equate her own situation to possible incest, like innocent or something, like not even realising she is].

As far as innocence, I totally laughed at the whole bspoiler[uild up of her plan to pretty much get rid of Kagari with getting people that have it in for her and complex, and are instantly beaten].

And have to mention the spoiler[giant wrestling match with four large creatures], cliché but nice choreography.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
OVA

... are you ready to rumble!!!

I have to add that Kasumi's thought process is logical from the point of view of a powerful witch? Intercourse? That is for animals, we can make children with some alchemical preparations. TBT I am starting to think that since their mother is lesbian and totally introverted, maybe their father IS a fairy tale and they were created using her ovules and state of the art witchcraft!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9